Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times

Advertisements

As I've stated before, I had fun debating with the two young LDS guys who came to my house. If I'm not in the mood to do it, I just ask them to leave literature. I got the Book of Mormon that way...what a tale.

Fortunately, my neighbors are refined enough not to ask me what church I go to (I don't). I get a lot of brochures stuck in my door announcing various nearby revivals and such, but they are promptly recycled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM

138 posts, read 254,479 times
I just don't go around with it stamped on my forehead. I've only told my close friends, several of whom are religious and they have all been accepting of it. But I'm probably never going to tell my family, who are all very religious.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Any atheist here that are from an very religious community such as an town or country or even if your family are? If so what are the experiences in it? Are you open to your beliefs there?
Yes, I lived in rural south Georgia which is deeply religious. I never experienced any personal bigotry but I did here them speak of "atheists" in general and they didn't have kind words for them.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Any atheist here that are from an very religious community such as an town or country or even if your family are? If so what are the experiences in it? Are you open to your beliefs there?
I'm in Idaho, which is pretty much like a little island of the bible belt. Maybe it's the hardcore social conservatism (not that I have a problem with the rightys, but they're pretty hardcore here) or the overt religious influence or both here, but I feel a lot like an endangered species might.

A few years back an atheist contested a HUGE cross being on a hilltop of the foothills here. He received death threats and if I remember right, he had some windows broken in his home. All for saying that a huge cross overlooking the city might not represent all the people in that city.

If an atheist of even secularist writes into the opinion section of the local paper, they can't use the same tone or choice of words that the followers get to use. If we try to use the same tone, they just don't run our piece. But religious folks can say some pretty caustic stuff and it slides. I wrote something to the opinions section about gay rights and received threats in the mail. So I moved and offer a false address to the local paper every time I send a piece.

There are plenty of people here that will accept an atheist, I am friends with some very religious people and we get along great because we respect one another and don't put one another down for not sharing the same opinions. But by and large, you tell someone here that you aren't religious and they'll look at you like you just threw a baby against a brick wall.

While 90% of the religious folks here either will accept my position, or just not care either way, there is a fairly sizable minority of hardliners that make me feel less than safe and secure about my position. So I try and keep it on the down low to avoid death threats and broken glass. The sad part with this minority is that they are the ones who create so much tension between the believers and the non believers. After being startled by threats to my life I began to despise religion, and I pretty much lost all respect for it. I will still respect a respectful person, religious or not. But I can't respect a religion that turns people into boobs that threaten everyone who doesn't march in lockstep with their ideals. I don't think that will ever heal...

Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 PM

76 posts, read 123,515 times
Here (a middle sized city in southern Alabama) I was expecting a bible to be thrown at me everyday, to my surprise that wasn't the case. Most people here have a deep faith in god but most won't push it at you publically or ask. There are a few but they've all seemed to be baptist, and this one religion where they talk to god in tounges . But here I find that most people have sympathy and say they'll pray for me, and god will call me or prove himself to me eventually. I kind of laugh but they are as serious as heart attacks when they say things like that. Overall it's a incredibly religious place, but not nearly as hostile religious as I was expecting.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
I live in south Texas and I've learned to not talk about religion. it's like telling people you don't belive in gravity down here.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Religion beliefs or lack of should be like your genitals, not for public display, forced on no one.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
other99: As for what it's like being an atheist in a very religious community, you could go make an atheist post in the Christianity forum. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Whats it like being an atheistin an very religous community?

Liberating!!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Whats it like being an atheistin an very religous community?

Liberating!!
It can even be fun at times, the deeper their delusion, the easier it is to play with their mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism