Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,359 times

Advertisements

Are there anyone here is may not be atheist but is anti-religion?

Myself, I would say I am anti-religion. I wouldn't say I am atheist, more agnostic I would say. I do believe in a higher power, the creator, something along the lines of that. However, I do not believe in any of the religions on this planet.

I see all these religions as creations of man to explain the unknown started long ago such as man trying to explain thunderstorms or the like saying it's some being controlling it so let's worship it. I see all religions like that, then more people add whatever they want to it so they create some heaven or hell to make us all be nice to each other and then others say give us money so you can go to heaven or whatever. All religions do for me is cause too many problems in the world and causes people to do stupid things to each other. god is not some white guy in the sky with a beard, i would rather look within myself and find what I think is right, harmony with the universe and connecting with the power that flows through it.

anyone have any views on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost22 View Post
I wouldn't say I am atheist, more agnostic I would say. I do believe in a higher power..
If you believe in a higher power, then you are not agnostic.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Kind of reminds me of deism.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Isn't being anti-religion like being anti-philosophy, the only problem is that everything is philosophy.
Or maybe anti-religion is like being anti-human?
Since people believe in stuff anyway and whenever they do it in a group it is quickly called a religion (or a philosophy)?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Atheist and I also tend to be anti-religion whilst I am NOT anti-faith.

To me faith and religion are two different things.

I tend to find religion controlling and a more than excellent tool for brainwashing and prefer people who wear their faith lightly and have a personal connection to their God ( such as Quakers).

Religions are IMO divisive and encourage intolerance and exclusion.

I see faith as a deeply personal and introspective thing which should need no intermediary and go between, no ornate buildings and no funds of any kind.

Most organised religions seems to be more about outward appearances than true spirituality and as such I essentially distrust them. Religion is more of a social group to me than a spiritual one.

I suppose I always distrust any herd mentality and find that the human being is usually quite acceptable on a personal, one on one basis but all the worst traits of mankind tend to be brought out by social pressures and expectations and religions tend to examplify this to perfection.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I saw this written out by Sam Harris’s on one of his web sight.
If you are 100 sure there is a god than you are religious or theist.
If you are from 80 to 67% sure there is a god than you are a Deist.
If you are 66% to 33% sure there is not a god than you are Agnostic, and if you over 66% sure there is no god than you fall into the Atheist range.
I am not sure where he got the numbers or if I agree with them, but as a person who likes to see numbers, graphs, and scales it seemed like a good start.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
I get tired of people who try to redefine the word religion because they don't like what some aspects of religion means. Faith = religion. What Moose described is a dislike of organized religion. All those folks who profess a strong belief in god, whether of their own devising or out of some other tradition, are religious. Period. If they do not go to an organized church, then they don't belong to an organized sect, but they are still religious.

Trying to redefine the word is misleading, makes communication difficult, and/or is manipulative. Get over it.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I get tired of people who try to redefine the word religion because they don't like what some aspects of religion means. Faith = religion. What Moose described is a dislike of organized religion. All those folks who profess a strong belief in god, whether of their own devising or out of some other tradition, are religious. Period. If they do not go to an organized church, then they don't belong to an organized sect, but they are still religious.

Trying to redefine the word is misleading, makes communication difficult, and/or is manipulative. Get over it.

Wrist well and truly slapped, I am truly chastened and shall avoid making the same "mistake" again!

In terms of etymology I agree with you but I would argue that culturally religion is an "organised" system of beliefs and dogma usually set in a social context.

At least that is the way most social Anthropologists view it. Religion is in this kind of context mostly associated with a collective practice rather than a more simple and personal association with a supernatural being. And as human beings are mostly herd animals and social ones they do tend to gather around "organised" religion rather than following their own path.

Your definition might vary from mine though I am not sure it needed such vehemence on your part to out the point across...

And yes I do distrust organised religion immensely .

Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Well, I think it is safe to say I am an atheist. I do not believe in the creation myths, the geezus myth, the god myth, or the panthology of other gods myths, hell, I don't even believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny, Heaven, nor Hell, If I can't believe in a mythological good-guy figure, I certainly will not believe in their devil, evil incarnate figure, well.......my mother-in-law, falls into her own category!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
That is exactly me. I believe in god. Organized religion...I have very strong negative feelings about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism