Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 AM

268 posts, read 241,275 times

Advertisements

Brazil's Roman Catholics shrink as secular rise - Yahoo! News

I think Brazil's growing economy is to blame. As a country becomes more advanced it's people don't see the need for religion. This is also happening in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I don't agree with you that a bad economy can be influencual in whether someone believes in a religion or not....I don't see religion as ever being a "need",.... be you poor or rich....I think the roman catholic church with it's many rules, and restrictions...it's discrimination, and abundant hypocracys...is the real reason why young people are staying away.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't agree with you that a bad economy can be influencual in whether someone believes in a religion or not....I don't see religion as ever being a "need",.... be you poor or rich....I think the roman catholic church with it's many rules, and restrictions...it's discrimination, and abundant hypocracys...is the real reason why young people are staying away.
If you look at the patterns of Buddhism in Asia, it seems to grow during times of great upheaval and economic uncertainty.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Some of the former Catholics have become Evangelicals...not a happy development.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I thought that too, but the study seemed to indicate the rise in Pentecostals and Evangelicals was more in the 1990s and that in the 2000s they'd stabilized.

It sounds like a part of what's happening is that the improved economy means "social Catholics" have more alternatives. I think Brazil's long had a good deal of "Social Catholics", people who don't really believe in the religion but like some of the social/communal gatherings of it. Now that they have more money they can find more non-religious places for community and social functions. It doesn't really say that the increase in non-affiliation means an increase in rationalism or non-theism. Some of what it says indicates it might be the fairly common tendency of 18-34 year olds to prefer Movies or Clubs to Church and to want non-marital sex. In the past that tendency was maybe less than now due to custom and poverty.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I have never actually been to Brazil, but I can think back to my childhood and to the importance of church activities in a rural environment and in a pretty irreligious family. It was socially expected and sending us along to religion classes was more a sort of child - minding for which one did not have to pay.

The break was at fifteen when I simply stopped going to church and opted out of the choir. Since then the process of pulling away from the Christian background through comparative religion study and then Bible study meant that other things were more important mainly because the claims of Christianity were less important.

I didn't want to get involved in the Catholic Communion thread but it occurred to me, if one only irregularly attends mass, why? If one believes, then one should not dare to be so casual about it. As Thom R pointed out, it is a very important matter. If one is so casual about it, I wonder why one bothers to go at all?

What I'm getting at is that perhaps many Brazilians and indeed many people are getting a bit casual about religion. It may be that they still believe in a god but see that much of religion is a man - made construct and..if I may paraphrase the Bible..religion was made for man, not man for religion. Thus they can go along when they feel in the mood just as they might go along to see a film they fancy.

And the film might be a lot more entertaining.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Speaking as a non-Christian, I am saddened to see the decline of Catholicism in Brazil, especially as it seems the decline is because of converts to the Evangelical, pentecostal type Christian churches. Just my opinion but if a person is going to be Christian, the only way they can come closest to following the teachings of the Earliest Christians is to be Catholic or Eastern/Greek Orthodox. They did not follow the NT, they made the NT the NT is (in my opinion) not scripture, but the early History of Catholic/Orthodox Christianity. The teaching of Christianity was Catholic/Orthodox doctrine and canons. A person is not going to find Christianity in the NT at best they may find a desire to look for Christianity.

I do not believe Catholics are on the right path to God(swt), but those leaving Catholicism for other Christian denominations are getting so far removed from the path it is almost beyond hope they can ever find God(swt)

The Movement that began in mid 1800s America is not Christianity nor worship, it is entertainment, substitution of emotionalism for worship and possibly even a return to pagan rituals.

I do not believe in Christianity, but if a person does desire to be Christian at least they should follow Catholicism. Otherwise stop calling themselves Christian, realize they are worshiping the NT and are not worshiping God(swt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism