Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why do professed atheists so often contemplate the existance of God?
real atheists dont do this.
Cause it's fun. I don't believe in vampires or superheroes either, but it's fun to think about what I would do if I were either one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why do professed atheists so often contemplate the existance of God?
real atheists dont do this.
Real atheists do as they darn please....if we want to make fun of other's beliefs we can....

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Probably not make humans in the first place . Or maybe not be so judgy with my creation minus the killers/bad people . Probably smite them or use my powers to make them good again

Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Cause it's fun. I don't believe in vampires or superheroes either, but it's fun to think about what I would do if I were either one.
This is crazy because I usually fantasize about myself being a vampire superhero who saves people i see in the news that I wish I could have saved ! Ha!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Default What Would You Do If YOU Were God?

First, I'd create an evil opposite twin and set him loose on the world, just to add a bit of challenge to it all. Then I'd pick a random group of people, make them my "chosen ones" and command them to jump through multiple flaming hoops for my entertainment.

After that I would abandon them, then actively punish them and drive them to the 4 corners of the earth. Then I would inspire someone to write a musical about fiddling and whatnot and make them cool again.

Meanwhile I would also appear to a farm boy order him to start a new church and introduce his followers to the magical wonders of god-sanctioned groupsex. Then I'd order them to stop doing it just when it starts getting fun and instead order them to build dozens of magical temples across the world, where I would bestow equally magical undergarments and unnatural smiles to them.

Then I'd appear in a tortilla in Mexico, promise to pick up some of the more sane residents of California in my flying saucer when the next comet comes by and after that I would command yet another group of followers to strap bombs to themselves and blow stuff up in my name all the time, luring them into it with hot babes which they must keep covered at all times (teasing always works better than just giving up the goods, ya see).

Finally I'd destroy the entire world with massive natural disasters and start over... this time using squid instead monkeys to make my children. I'm gonna be the bestest god ever, I just know it!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
yes you would be the bestest god ever, Chango!
I would leave the playing god to you...personally I have no interest whatsoever..life is exciting enough as it is

Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I would make sure Glasgow Rangers won the Champions League

The fact that they never have is ample proof that there is no god.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 AM

188 posts, read 304,438 times
Cure all possible diseases and give everyone a more durable Cyborg body.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I have often thought of this since I was a child trying to piece together the whole god thing. I'm a non-believer but I always thought of what it would take to make me believe in a god and specifically what I'd do if I were god.

Here's my initial thoughts:
- my presence would be known because I wouldn't be some invisible being the the sky. I'd physically come down to earth and physically talk to people. People could see me, hear me and interact with me.
- I would deliver my own messages myself. If I chose to pass down a book of rules, I'd write them and deliver them myself. If there were any questions, you could ask my and I'd respond for clarification. That should eliminate confusion and rampant interpretations.
- If I decided that a certain group was to be a special, blessed group, the blessings would be real and physical. For instance, in someone shot at them with a gun, the bullet would magically stop and not harm them.
- I would actually answer prayers.
- Karma would be like law. If you do something bad, something bad will happen to you.
- I wouldn't require churches or any regular worship (what would be the point besides massaging my ego?). That would people's option.

Feel free to jump in !
Interesting...but one thing here bugs me that I see on the atheist forum all the time--the reference to an invisible being in the sky/sky fairy/etc.

Where do people get this idea that God (the Christian God, specifically) supposedly lives "in the sky"? Does it come from the reference to Heaven/The Heavens being interchanged to mean sky/stars? Honest question. I've NEVER thought of God as some sort of being who supposedly literally lives in the sky, but that seems to be a common theme on this forum and repeated enough that it seems that some atheists really think that's what Christians really think. Or maybe some Christians do think that! I've never met one, though.

LOL, sidebar--I remember my mother telling me when I was little that God was everywhere, and so I started to pepper her with questions--is God in my clothes closet? Is God in the bathroom? Is God inside of my stuffed animals?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First, I'd create an evil opposite twin and set him loose on the world, just to add a bit of challenge to it all. Then I'd pick a random group of people, make them my "chosen ones" and command them to jump through multiple flaming hoops for my entertainment.

After that I would abandon them, then actively punish them and drive them to the 4 corners of the earth. Then I would inspire someone to write a musical about fiddling and whatnot and make them cool again.

Meanwhile I would also appear to a farm boy order him to start a new church and introduce his followers to the magical wonders of god-sanctioned groupsex. Then I'd order them to stop doing it just when it starts getting fun and instead order them to build dozens of magical temples across the world, where I would bestow equally magical undergarments and unnatural smiles to them.

Then I'd appear in a tortilla in Mexico, promise to pick up some of the more sane residents of California in my flying saucer when the next comet comes by and after that I would command yet another group of followers to strap bombs to themselves and blow stuff up in my name all the time, luring them into it with hot babes which they must keep covered at all times (teasing always works better than just giving up the goods, ya see).

Finally I'd destroy the entire world with massive natural disasters and start over... this time using squid instead monkeys to make my children. I'm gonna be the bestest god ever, I just know it!
This was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism