Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times

Advertisements

can not believe how they come every week the same ones they can not take a hint that your not interested.
it is not like a new batch each week always the same 3 with a member in training. today i told the to shove their invisible friend. that i was a atheist and had no need for a imaginary. answer to when tings go wrong or right. that i did not need the fear of a place that is a lot like la on a good day . and closed my door about a hour later i found a note on my door from the saying that they will pray for my soul and the left me a bathroom reader aka a bible with it. why cant they take a hint if the come next week a may start to rip up their free gift in front of them in hopes they stop comming. these are the same ones in a past post that i talked about that had the nerve to open my door when i did not answer. the lan d lord even put a no soliciting sign at the main door and they say it does not apply to them. still think they should be made to buy a permint for each door knocker at the price of 100. and have a no knock list like a do not call list. and if they knock on your door if you put your self on said list the knocker is fined 100 per. violation and use the money from these permits and fines to pay for programs to help kids better themselves way better than fairy tail hour could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Somehow this seems an appropriate story for your thread.

Puerto Rican Gated Communities Must Open Gates to Jehova’s Witnesses | Politic365

Apparently, you cannot bar religious solicitations in a neighborhood even if that is a gated community as it takes away the first amendment rights of the religion. A bit far-fetched, imo. After all, no-one has to open their door to these folks if they knock.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Wow, I am so glad we have laws that protect our privacy here, probably something like the castle doctrine in Florida. Fortunately no one gets into my yard with my dogs.

Luckily this aspect has died down and we no longer have to concern ourselves with hawkers as they are called here.

These folk must be insulted on a daily basis but I suppose that must merely feed their illusionary persecution complex. No one is really gonna hate anyone for their beliefs if they chose to keep that to themselves.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Puerto Rican Gated Communities Must Open Gates to Jehova’s Witnesses | Politic365

Apparently, you cannot bar religious solicitations in a neighborhood even if that is a gated community as it takes away the first amendment rights of the religion. A bit far-fetched, imo. After all, no-one has to open their door to these folks if they knock.
You shouldn't have to. Instead they can deliver their message at the buzzer/mail.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
If they have the wit to understand, I tell them that I am an atheist but invite them in with the comment that I need some fresh meat for the stew I am cooking.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
People from the Baptist church have stopped by since I moved into my new neighborhood, but just to tell me that their church exists, not to evangelize. I didn't mind that. My father used to view visits from the Jehovah's Witnesses as "playtime" - I think he made a few cry with his questions. Yet they kept coming back.

If I ever get someone at my door at this point, I'll tell them I'd be happy to discuss their religion with them, but they need to let me read them an essay from Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris and discuss that with them too. Turnabout being fair play and all...

Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,940,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

first amendment rights go both ways. people have a right to not have uninvited god botherers coming on their private properties. free speech rights only exist in the public sphere not on private property

Old 08-25-2013, 03:42 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
4 words:

Fenced yard Large dogs

Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,344 times
My husband wants to hand out pamphlets with numerous scientific theories and the Periodic table when the JW's come around. He figures that they should be willing to listen to what we believe

Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Don't tell them you're an atheist, man! They think they'll get mega bonus points in heaven for converting a downright heathen! Of course they'll keep bugging you.

Don't answer, and of course, call the police if they open the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism