Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:07 PM

1,422 posts, read 953,061 times

Advertisements

One reason I don't call myself an atheist is the same reason that I don't call myself a Theist and that is because within both theism and atheism there are the bigots who are never shy about dumping everyone into the one or the other category whole proclaiming their particular position is the right one to have and to hold.

Those wells have been poisoned.

As far as I can tell there are three branches from the default "Humans are born without beliefs" and the branch which remains closet to the resembling the tree is the middle position.

Some refer to this as being 'Agnostic'.

Whatever. As long as it rejects bigotry, and other damaging forms of hypocrisy, I don't give a toss what it is called.
Attached Thumbnails
How do atheists know there is zero chance of a divine creator?-godtree.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:56 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,102,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
One reason I don't call myself an atheist is the same reason that I don't call myself a Theist and that is because within both theism and atheism there are the bigots who are never shy about dumping everyone into the one or the other category whole proclaiming their particular position is the right one to have and to hold.

Those wells have been poisoned.

As far as I can tell there are three branches from the default "Humans are born without beliefs" and the branch which remains closet to the resembling the tree is the middle position.

Some refer to this as being 'Agnostic'.

Whatever. As long as it rejects bigotry, and other damaging forms of hypocrisy, I don't give a toss what it is called.
I don't see a connection between the concept of God - for or against - and bigotry. Extreme beliefs of anything lead to bigotry, but a simple belief in a deity and a simple disbelief in a deity shouldn't equate to bigotry of any kind.

I say I'm an atheist simply because I lack a theistic belief; I still respect those with beliefs. In fact, my girlfriend is catholic and I often attend mass with her because I care a lot more about her happiness and contentment than I care about making a hard-line stand.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:53 PM

605 posts, read 706,135 times
I don't believe in a deity, therefore I'm an atheist. If others have have a religion, that is just fine with me. I just take offense if they try to force their religious beliefs onto others who don't share it - especially by trying to enact laws based on their religious beliefs. I also have personal issues with indoctrinating children who don't know any better. If I could make one change, it would be that you cannot force children into a religion until they are old enough to decide for themselves. I don't know what age that would be - as everyone is different, but it guts me inside when I see kids being forced to participate.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I don't believe in a deity, therefore I'm an atheist. If others have have a religion, that is just fine with me. I just take offense if they try to force their religious beliefs onto others who don't share it - especially by trying to enact laws based on their religious beliefs. I also have personal issues with indoctrinating children who don't know any better. If I could make one change, it would be that you cannot force children into a religion until they are old enough to decide for themselves. I don't know what age that would be - as everyone is different, but it guts me inside when I see kids being forced to participate.
yep, indoctrinating so that they try and help people and give back when then can. Yeppers, Down with that.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 PM

1,422 posts, read 953,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I don't see a connection between the concept of God - for or against - and bigotry.
Of course there is a connection.

Quote:
Extreme beliefs of anything lead to bigotry, but a simple belief in a deity and a simple disbelief in a deity shouldn't equate to bigotry of any kind.
Nor did I say that was the case. Not even complex beliefs for or against the concept of god(s) equate to bigotry.

I say I'm an atheist simply because I lack a theistic belief;

It is not as simple as you are saying it is. There is a middle position to which certain types of atheists and theists argue does not exist.
They are often - if theist - fundamentalists and - if atheists - antitheists.

Quote:
I still respect those with beliefs. In fact, my girlfriend is catholic and I often attend mass with her because I care a lot more about her happiness and contentment than I care about making a hard-line stand.
Do you have beliefs either way? If not, you take the middle position, the closest to the default position in relation to other positions and the OP.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,216,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here is how I feel about religious people and atheists.
Somebody ^^^ doesn't understand evolution and genetic expression.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
It was a joke poster (wall hanging type). and it was funny.

There is no need to say "god" had to do it ...". Neither is it likely that "no-nothing" caused it. I am more interested in people forcing beliefs on others. But when we dismiss every prediction or speculation based on "knowbody knows" then it becomes too literal a stance with the information we have.

"nobody knows" that's a given. Its on both sides of the debate so it cancels out on both sides of the equation. Now what?" . I don't believe in god so every "choice" made on that starting 'if" is not as valid as "we don't know, but ..." to me.

for example:

god said ... no gays allowed so No Gay Bars Allowed... or
we don't know but.... we want to open a straight bar. Gays can go open a gay bar.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Except that as soon as reason and probability based on actual data enter into consideration, by definition faith is not involved. Faith is the evidence of things NOT SEEN, the the substance of things HOPED FOR. Facts are SEEN and they are found things, not things one hopes to encounter someday.

So you are not only wrong but conflating two different senses of the word faith -- its actual formal definition as per the previous paragraph and its loose usage as a synonym for "trust". Yes, I trust reason and logic and probability because they have proven themselves to me as relatively accurate ways to describe and make predictions about reality. Whereas faith has proven to be utterly unpredictive and undescriptive of reality.
That is not so. In an auto accident, for example, every result occurs in perfect conformity with the physical laws of the universe, which are fairly well known with scientific certitude. But I drive around in my car comforted by a faith that there is a low probability that such an event will occur.

My faith-based belief that I will not suffer the effects of a car crash on my errands today is analogous to my faith-based belief in a low probability that a god full of hatred and malice will subject me to an even worse eternal fate.

Reason, logic and probability combining to form faith..

Old 04-15-2015, 07:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Everyone has the right to own beliefs. Interested in hearing about atheism:

If the universe formation and life was purely accomplished through scientific explanation, then how do atheists know that a divine creator(s) didn't initiate the process? [By "creator" I am not implying the god of Abraham etc.] It is atheists' right to believe what they'd like. I'm curious to read the about atheists' thoughts. What makes atheists certain there is/was no divine being?

They don't however, Theist don't know that there is zero chance of there being a divine creator either.

Whatever one believes is what is right for them and those beliefs should not be forced on anyone else.

So what makes Theists certain is a divine being?

If you can answer both of those questions you will be the smartest person on the planet.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Everyone has the right to own beliefs. Interested in hearing about atheism:

If the universe formation and life was purely accomplished through scientific explanation, then how do atheists know that a divine creator(s) didn't initiate the process? [By "creator" I am not implying the god of Abraham etc.] It is atheists' right to believe what they'd like. I'm curious to read the about atheists' thoughts. What makes atheists certain there is/was no divine being?
The same way you know that your clothes didn't come from a Flying Spaghetti Monster who sneaked in during the night, removed your old clothes, and replaced them with similar-looking ones from a supernatural source.

Of course we are no more absolutely certain about it than you are about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and your clothes.

Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism