Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,168 times

Advertisements

It is in the news today that Mayor Bloomberg (New York) is in conflict with the New York City Council over adding two Muslim holidays to the New YorK City Schools school year. Bloomberg says this would shorten the school year too much. The City Council says it's only fair since 12% of the students in New York city schools are Muslim.

Personally, I think all religious holidays should be abolished. Most schools are paid for by state government...aren't the relgious holidays a violation of separation of church and state?

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
this is not a violation of church and state, technically, since the government is not meddling in someone's church. Contrary to popular misconception it was written to protect the religious institutions from being interfered with by the goverment, not the other way around.
...I do think that all the holidays should be abolished though.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
this is not a violation of church and state, technically, since the government is not meddling in someone's church. Contrary to popular misconception it was written to protect the religious institutions from being interfered with by the goverment, not the other way around.
...I do think that all the holidays should be abolished though.
I take it that you haven't read Thomas Paine, or for that matter a good portion of the writings of Benjamin Franklin. Neither of these two men trusted the church, or any church. They, and a lot of our founding fathers did not want the church, any church to have a say so in government. ergo the complete separation of church and state. Historically speaking, the citizenry truly suffers if the church has a say-so in government.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:23 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
It is in the news today that Mayor Bloomberg (New York) is in conflict with the New York City Council over adding two Muslim holidays to the New YorK City Schools school year. Bloomberg says this would shorten the school year too much. The City Council says it's only fair since 12% of the students in New York city schools are Muslim.

Personally, I think all religious holidays should be abolished. Most schools are paid for by state government...aren't the relgious holidays a violation of separation of church and state?

What do you all think?
what religious holidays do they currently observe? my kids' public school doesn't even observe Christmas. They call it "winter holiday"...and their "winter holiday" program was about the Winter Wizard.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Certain religions require fasting and rest during their religious holidays. Forcing them to work on those days would mean forcing them to violate their beliefs.

Besides what kind of workaholic atheist are you that you don't like getting days off because "it's for a religious reason"? I live in an area with almost no Jewish population, but if I got Yom Kippur off I might think that's kind of neat. Maybe I could learn more about it or travel somewhere or something. If I got Darwin's Birthday off that could be neat too. (Okay this is theoretical as I'm unemployed)

Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
(Okay this is theoretical as I'm unemployed)

LOL...that part made me chuckle.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
what religious holidays do they currently observe? my kids' public school doesn't even observe Christmas. They call it "winter holiday"...and their "winter holiday" program was about the Winter Wizard.
Winter Wizard?!
I'm sure you raised proper Hell (er..Heaven?) upon hearing such heresy attached to your god's B-day.
Seriously, I have never heard of a Winter Wizard - that must have royally pissed off Christians.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I usually volunteer on holidays for work if they need me. 'Holidays' mean nothing to me in a religious sense, and I've never really celebrated them. I think that companies should offer a few 'flex days' that can be used by the religious (or non religious) however they want, and they can be on holidays, Dr. Appt. days, birthdays etc etc. but they can have the flexibility to be used whenever is appropriate. I'd much rather have a day or two off in the summer than Christmas eve and Christmas day off in the winter

Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Winter Wizard?!
I'm sure you raised proper Hell (er..Heaven?) upon hearing such heresy attached to your god's B-day.
Seriously, I have never heard of a Winter Wizard - that must have royally pissed off Christians.

Why is it heresy? Their vacation is called a winter holiday and has nothing to do with kdbrich's god's b-day. Therefore, if there winter holiday program wasn't affiliated with any religion's holiday then their play could be about anything they wanted. Even wizards.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times
Heck, let them celebrate what they want, and they can call their holidays what they want. As long as i get a day off out of the deal, i dont care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism