Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM

105 posts, read 53,052 times

Advertisements

Religion increasingly seen as doing more harm than good in Canada: Ipsos poll - National | Globalnews.ca
"The poll also found that despite their views on whether or not it’s harmful, Canadians are very tolerant of others’ religions. Nine out of 10 respondents said they were “completely comfortable being around people who have different religious beliefs than me.”
Interesting. I suspect the same would be said in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, but suspect a different answer in the USA, and obviously, in the Muslim world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 02:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Yeah, Canucks are pretty laid back.

Eh.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeBV View Post
Religion increasingly seen as doing more harm than good in Canada: Ipsos poll - National | Globalnews.ca
"The poll also found that despite their views on whether or not it’s harmful, Canadians are very tolerant of others’ religions. Nine out of 10 respondents said they were “completely comfortable being around people who have different religious beliefs than me.”
Interesting. I suspect the same would be said in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, but suspect a different answer in the USA, and obviously, in the Muslim world.
BBM~~

AS a Canadian I totally DISAGREE with such an assumption in your Title~~ and the premise. You even mention the the tolerance and even 9 out of 10 believe to be "completely comfortable being people who have different beliefs than me"

So what's your question??? In Canada we believe that religion and Politics for that matter is a private matter and only discussed during election cycles amongst small circles. Canadians hold dear their right and other's rights to have and hold their personal views.

It's obvious that Canadian and American Politics is far different .. Especially when it comes to spreading false informations.. trolling others with that and promoting via bot-type propaganda. It's NOT as prevalent as it is in the US.. Canadians, believe it or not are far more informed about their local/Provincial and National Political happenings. We also have a multi-Party venue.. which means, much like UK and other Democracies... Whomever gets elected as "Leader" MUST seek support of other Parties in order to conduct business..

The above bolded statement explains the essential difference with the USA Democracy... 2 Party system "Pits" it as RIGHT or LEFT... and those of opposition have to support whichever side.. regardless if their leader is a "TRAIN-WRECK" . Right Left in American Policy is now exposing Polarizing agenda's.. Canadians elect representative that represent their views.. Not Liberal/Conservative alone!!

Best, Op figure out.. Canadians have absolutely NO resemblance to American Politics.. In fact, since Trump took over the WH.. WE are in total fear of having such a Self-Serving Aged Narcissist, and lining his pockets on the backs of lower and middle class.. makes us actually depressed with empathy!!

Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 PM

105 posts, read 53,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~~

AS a Canadian I totally DISAGREE with such an assumption in your Title~~ and the premise. You even mention the the tolerance and even 9 out of 10 believe to be "completely comfortable being people who have different beliefs than me"

So what's your question??? In Canada we believe that religion and Politics for that matter is a private matter and only discussed during election cycles amongst small circles. Canadians hold dear their right and other's rights to have and hold their personal views.

It's obvious that Canadian and American Politics is far different .. Especially when it comes to spreading false informations.. trolling others with that and promoting via bot-type propaganda. It's NOT as prevalent as it is in the US.. Canadians, believe it or not are far more informed about their local/Provincial and National Political happenings. We also have a multi-Party venue.. which means, much like UK and other Democracies... Whomever gets elected as "Leader" MUST seek support of other Parties in order to conduct business..

The above bolded statement explains the essential difference with the USA Democracy... 2 Party system "Pits" it as RIGHT or LEFT... and those of opposition have to support whichever side.. regardless if their leader is a "TRAIN-WRECK" . Right Left in American Policy is now exposing Polarizing agenda's.. Canadians elect representative that represent their views.. Not Liberal/Conservative alone!!

Best, Op figure out.. Canadians have absolutely NO resemblance to American Politics.. In fact, since Trump took over the WH.. WE are in total fear of having such a Self-Serving Aged Narcissist, and lining his pockets on the backs of lower and middle class.. makes us actually depressed with empathy!!
Other than about 37% of the population, most Americans, and most people in the rest of the world, are pretty sure that the orange faced kumquat that is inhabiting the Oval Office is as dangerous individual as exists.

Regardless, I thought it was an interesting survey. Call it confirmation bias, but I have long felt the same.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~~

The title comes right out of the reports findings, 51% find religion does more harm then good and that this percentage is rising. How can you then claim that the title is then misleading. I would also claim to be part of the 9 out of 10 who am not uncomfortable being around those of different beliefs, or lack of believers. I would not be surprised to find that a larger percentage of that 1 out of 10 are of very religious groups. As an atheist I probably be more comfortable with religious people who are comfortable with those of different beliefs than with atheists who were not. As an Alberta I hate the polarization that has occurred due to a non conservative being premier and wished that civility would return to the dialogue and death threats beat a hasty retreat. I also think our politics are more split on regional rather than religious basis.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Religion viewed as doing more harm than good in Canada

Of course. The the spread of wilful ignorance and superstition SHOULD be viewed as harmful.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Yet another reason I'd give my right arm to become a citizen of Canada. Hell, if I had to give half of my assets to the Canadian government to do it, I'd still take the deal.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yet another reason I'd give my right arm to become a citizen of Canada. Hell, if I had to give half of my assets to the Canadian government to do it, I'd still take the deal.
Being a Canadian is just like being rich, the easy way is to pick the right parents. ☺

Old 06-17-2017, 02:50 PM

12,291 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Canada is not all it's cracked up to be. But I do hope this trends worldwide.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Religion viewed as doing more harm than good in Canada

Of course. The the spread of wilful ignorance and superstition SHOULD be viewed as harmful.
Indeed, it should.

If it weren't for religion, we would have landed on the Moon 500 years ago, instead of 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism