Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
He'd said it before this....
Yes, I have never been in any doubt about his views. However, shortly after he died, there were some numbnuts claiming that his interment in Westminster Abbey meant that he had requested a Christian burial before he died.

Anyone smart enough to appreciate Hawking knew how abysmally stupid that idea was, but some did buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I want to hear about the perhaps-nonexistent phenomenon of the deathbed deconversion...which people were religious all their blissfully ignorant lives before finally deconverting when afflicted with suffering in their final moments? Instead of the 'problem of evil', call it being blindsided by the problem of mortality.
Yes. The thought had crossed my mind once or twice. But in my case i can't imagine anything more in the final seconds apart from regrets that i never made the Mile -high club, that thinking: "Well, now we find out...."

It might be a nice tactic to field, but I don't really believe it, so I never think of using it. It's easier for the Theist side, they don't care whether they believe it or not (never mind whether it's credible or not) just so it wins them a point. And, as i say, Theists think in terms of the One -point win. If the point is actually a relevant one, it's virtually proof that God is real.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Personally, I think that most deathbed conversions (and I think are some) are merely a CYA situation, rather than any real belief.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:26 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Personally, I think that most deathbed conversions (and I think are some) are merely a CYA situation, rather than any real belief.
surely not. They can't suppose God is fooled by that? Reminds me of a Peanut's cartoon

(Lucy and Linus fighting as usual)

(Charlie Brown) "What do you think Santa is going to do when he sees you two fighting like this?" (Lucy and Linus stare at each other)

"We are brother and sister, and we love each other!"

"Good grief! Do you think you are going to fool Santa like that?"

"Why not? We're a couple of sharp kids and he's just an old man."

Old 10-18-2018, 11:46 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/healt...ntl/index.html

I've read that some wondered what his viewpoint was. Well, here it is.
Hawking never had a near-death experience. In death, he has found out otherwise.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
NO one will ever know until it's over. All the rest is just speculation.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hawking never had a near-death experience. In death, he has found out otherwise.
Or more likely not. Have you experienced death to know if nde are even similar to actual death? Otherwise you are projecting your belief as an actual proven fact. Let the man die and be remembered for who he was not used to push a religion upon him that he did not belief

Old 10-18-2018, 05:55 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. The thought had crossed my mind once or twice. But in my case i can't imagine anything more in the final seconds apart from regrets that i never made the Mile -high club, that thinking: "Well, now we find out...."

It might be a nice tactic to field, but I don't really believe it, so I never think of using it. It's easier for the Theist side, they don't care whether they believe it or not (never mind whether it's credible or not) just so it wins them a point. And, as i say, Theists think in terms of the One -point win. If the point is actually a relevant one, it's virtually proof that God is real.
To posit a possibility consistent with my views: If it IS our goal in this life to achieve a state of mind in agape love for all, it is certainly possible that we could do so at the very end of our life. Of course, all the nonsense about what you believe about anything muddies the waters considerably, but In my view, that is totally irrelevant. If you sincerely come to realize that love is the answer to life and sincerely achieve that loving state of mind, that CAN happen in mere moments at the end of life.
Quote:
I agree, but their insincerity and focus on the wrong things do not speak well for their likelihood of success, IMO.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pretty hard to find out something when your brain no longer functions.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty hard to find out something when your brain no longer functions.
You assume that the brain which produces the entity known as YOU is responsible for how that entity functions after it has been produced. We DO know that our decisions are made before the brain responses can be recorded. We are living in a delayed "broadcast" of our actual Self as it makes decisions once formed by brain activity preceding our awareness. It is that entity (YOU) who is formed by the brain but not part of it that survives our physical death. It clearly has the decisionmaking and thought capabilities once formed without the need for the brain that formed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism