Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

This short film shows various Christmas traditions. I think the British do Christmas better than anyone.

If you as an atheist object to Christmas traditions, when what do you find so objectionable about any of these things?

I get the feeling some atheists don't like ANYTHING to do with Christmas. You all know that I've had my share of religious skepticism. But I think all these things are joyful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBG5j2CflY8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 07:26 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I get the feeling ...
But do you have evidence?

Old 12-23-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
But do you have evidence?
Your response came less than the amount of time of the video. What in the video did you object to?

Old 12-23-2018, 08:15 AM

By the way, I assume the only thing I need to support is wishing someone a Merry Christmas, with good tiding to "you and your king". Okay, I'll answer that. The Christmas story represents the birth of a "king". That is the guiding influence in each person's inner mind. So the story represents a newborn spirit of love. Therefore, I don't need to support my reasons for wishing a person to have a new spirit of love inside of them.

Next?

Old 12-23-2018, 08:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
You're putting your own interpretation on the "king" reference, which is by no means universal. But aside from that, all of the other traditions -- caroling, Xmas tree, Xmas cards, presents, Xmas eve, stockings -- seem benign and secular. Wasn't any praying to a violent and jealous god, and abuse of children for being bad.

Innocuous, really. The only thing I would object to is the dead turkey, which makes me slightly ill. Birds are the most abused animals of all, and I cannot accept the moral stance of someone claiming to be a decent human but conveniently ignoring this suffering.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-23-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Your response came less than the amount of time of the video. What in the video did you object to?
I was responding to what you wrote.

As you asked "If you as an atheist object to Christmas traditions, when what do you find so objectionable about any of these things?", and I do not object to them, I did not watch the video.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I was responding to what you wrote.

As you asked "If you as an atheist object to Christmas traditions, when what do you find so objectionable about any of these things?", and I do not object to them, I did not watch the video.
I'm confused by your original response then.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Aside from the singing (and that's mostly the lyrics) nothing in that was particularly religious. Most of those 'traditions ' are pagan in origin and have nothing to do with the god, jesus or the bible.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:10 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
This short film shows various Christmas traditions. I think the British do Christmas better than anyone.

If you as an atheist object to Christmas traditions, when what do you find so objectionable about any of these things?

I get the feeling some atheists don't like ANYTHING to do with Christmas. You all know that I've had my share of religious skepticism. But I think all these things are joyful.

I am as thoroughly atheist as anyone you are ever likely to meet, yet I do not object to Christmas traditions. I don't even object to calling it Christmas, even though I will not be attending the Christ mass on Christmas morning. Jesus wasn't born on December 25th and there is no celebration of Jesus in my Christmas tradition. No celebration of the winter solstice either, which is the true reason for the season. There is nothing to "worship" about the fact that the Earth wobbles on its axis. Nor do I need to celebrate the fact that the days are going to become longer again. They always do.

But having a colorful and heartwarming celebration of friends and family at this cold and dreary time of year is a splendid idea. I hope that will stay within our traditions, even as Christianity itself withers away. Because the concept of Christmas predates Jesus. And there is no reason why the tradition can't continue on, perhaps under another name. Festivus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeSjt7cqq-k

Old 12-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I'm confused by your original response then.
You said "I get the feeling some atheists don't like ANYTHING to do with Christmas". So I asked do you have any evidence for this? Because a lot of your arguments are either based on your feelings that do not represent any atheists I know, or straw versions of atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism