Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times

Advertisements

Neil deGrasse Tyson reveals what he thinks about God
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ampaign=buffer

"I have no idea if there is a God." So he says, but I don't really feel convinced. I like him but he is so brilliantly marketed, why would he say anything different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Not sure what you’re puzzled about here. He’s been saying the same thing for years - that he sees no evidence for god. But although he gets called on to answer questions about god pretty frequently, and he answers those questions, I think it’s not really that big a deal for him, his passion is science education for the general public. If you are interested in and at least somewhat knowledgeable about science, Tyson doesn’t care whether you have a religious faith or not.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not sure what you’re puzzled about here. He’s been saying the same thing for years - that he sees no evidence for god. But although he gets called on to answer questions about god pretty frequently, and he answers those questions, I think it’s not really that big a deal for him, his passion is science education for the general public. If you are interested in and at least somewhat knowledgeable about science, Tyson doesn’t care whether you have a religious faith or not.
Did I indicate that I was puzzled? I find that puzzling.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
When I don’t feel really convinced of something, I feel puzzled.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
When I don’t feel really convinced of something, I feel puzzled.
Okay. I don't.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:04 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Neil deGrasse Tyson reveals what he thinks about God
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ampaign=buffer

"I have no idea if there is a God." So he says, but I don't really feel convinced. I like him but he is so brilliantly marketed, why would he say anything different.
Einstein did not believe in the Biblical God and Stephen Hawking was very open in his atheism. It's common among individuals who recognize that the universe apparently works perfectly well for reasons that are entirely natural, to have no belief in the existence of a God.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Did I indicate that I was puzzled? I find that puzzling.
Yeah. You said, "why would he say anything different".

Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM

I guess I posted this, at least in part, because one can never assume one's heroes actually share one's cherished assumptions. Mine, in this case, that men of science are all atheists. Degrasse cops out, in a way, by saying it's not his place to tell others what to believe, though he hedges on the characterization of the universe. But he has a show to promote and books to sell, as well as a very nice job at the Hayden Planetarium, so he's in no position to be as assertive as others might. Look what happened to Russell over his job at the College of the City of New York.

This thing about most scientists being atheists seems to be in dispute. I thought I read (Dawkins?) that the percentage was very small of those who were not. I don't think the Pew Center counts. But Rice University, my alma mater, has a slightly different view:

First worldwide survey of religion and science: No, not all scientists are atheists
http://news.rice.edu/2015/12/03/firs...-are-atheists/

The study at Rice was funded by Templeton, which is confusing because if I remember Dawkins correctly, they are wholly religiously inclined. I'll have to re-read the Dawkins in light of all this.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-19-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 07:39 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
I guess I posted this, at least in part, because one can never assume one's heroes actually share one's cherished assumptions. Mine, in this case, that men of science are all atheists. Degrasse cops out, in a way, by saying it's not his place to tell others what to believe, though he hedges on the characterization of the universe. But he has a show to promote and books to sell, as well as a very nice job at the Hayden Planetarium, so he's in no position to be as assertive as others might. Look what happened to Russell over his job at the College of the City of New York.

This thing about most scientists being atheists seems to be in dispute. I thought I read (Dawkins?) that the percentage was very small of those who were not. I don't think the Pew Center counts. But Rice University, my alma mater, has a slightly different view:

First worldwide survey of religion and science: No, not all scientists are atheists

The study at Rice was funded by Templeton, which is confusing because if I remember Dawkins correctly, they are wholly religiously inclined. I'll have to re-read the Dawkins in light of all this.
All the geology professors I studied with over five years at the university were Christians who went to church somewhat regularly, and they all taught aspects of evolution.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All the geology professors I studied with over five years at the university were Christians who went to church somewhat regularly, and they all taught aspects of evolution.
Yeah. I'm glad you said that since you're a Science guy. Almost all science people I know, this is natural sciences, engineering, private and public, are religious to one extent or another. Some devoutly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism