Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I think the other poster is probably referring to the nature of the OP. As atheists, it's not like we're out to bash other religions randomly and haphazardly.

On a far more interesting aside: how do you brainwash people with a non-belief? That seems rather difficult, doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Whether a person is susceptible to brainwashing has nothing to do with being a believer or non-believer.

Interestingly many of the most vocal atheists are people that once suffered brain washing in the hands of religionists.
Julian has it right...and also wrong...

People are succeptible (bugger) susceptible to brainwashing. As people. Not as atheists. The reason why is that religious brainwashing relies on Faith. (which is why I put Evangelicals, apart from Catholics were Tails - Catholics go by Rote rather than by Faith). Atheists Qua atheists, do not Do Faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This has to do with atheism how?
I don't see this thread going well being posted in the Christianity forum. It would turn into a debate of if god exists or not and why I am wrong.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This has to do with atheism how?
I do get tired of the threads that are like "let's bash the religious, nod nod wink wink say no more".

Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I don't see this thread going well being posted in the Christianity forum. It would turn into a debate of if god exists or not and why I am wrong.
It wouldn't be a debate. If you didn't believe,you would be Unquestionably Wrong and had no business posting there anyway. So you might shift to R/S where there is free debate, despite stringent and heavy -handed atheist control.

On the other hand, you could stay here .

Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
The belief in God (and Jesus) is axiomatic in the Christianity forum. The existence of God is not debated there.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
I grew up Catholic and went to a non denominational church with my girlfriend who is religious and noticed that everyone seemed way more into it than Catholics I grew up with. Where I grew up, it seemed like most catholics weren't that into it and were just going through the motions, but the big non denominational church I went to they all seemed so much more brainwashed and into it.
The Catholics use more of an industrial standardization technique, which probably overwhelms most Catholics' sense of tribalism. A lot of Catholics go to Catholic school instead of a secular school, and thinking 6-7 days a week about religion probably makes them realize something about their agnosticism and more dark things about their own religion.

The Evangelicals make their brainwashing more of a "occasional rare reward" than an expected must. As they are more ignorant of the "full facts and requirements" they can be happy to be a hardcore zealous part of the group, while not having enough time to notice the bad in the religion, and spending most of their time noticing the bad in secular society (4-5 days a week away from their religion and fellow religious).

Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Evangelicals.
/thread. It's a cult.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
I grew up Catholic and went to a non denominational church with my girlfriend who is religious and noticed that everyone seemed way more into it than Catholics I grew up with. Where I grew up, it seemed like most catholics weren't that into it and were just going through the motions, but the big non denominational church I went to they all seemed so much more brainwashed and into it.
They are both equally brainwashed......but I believe the Evangelicals are way more outwardly fanatical. I've attended mass a couple of times growing up even though I grew up evangelical and the Catholics are rigid and methodical but just as brainwashed in their thinking as evangelicals. I mean, let's face it - all religions involve brainwashing.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:00 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
/thread. It's a cult.
But some Evangelicals say the Roman Catholic Church is a cult.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:44 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
They are both equally brainwashed......but I believe the Evangelicals are way more outwardly fanatical. I've attended mass a couple of times growing up even though I grew up evangelical and the Catholics are rigid and methodical but just as brainwashed in their thinking as evangelicals. I mean, let's face it - all religions involve brainwashing.
I disagree! I am a Catholic and and I more sane than most atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism