Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Evangelicals.

There are way more ex- Catholics than ex-Evangelicals.
So more Catholics can leave any brainwashing.

Catholics are born into it, mostly; it is drilled into them early...thus, it is easier to leave it as adults.
Evangelicals more become to believe this way...so they tend to 'stay with it'...my
observation only.

Thus, to answer the op ques they are more brainwashed...tho, I personally do not use that word ever.

(Most don't know I was both a happy Catholic and Evangelical.
Now, I can not call myself even a Christian since I don't believe in the entire Apostles' Creed, the prerequisite for being a Christian...according to the Nicene Counsel.
Thus, I consider myself not brain washed to 'believe some dogma'....but follow my personal experience now...much like a new
NDEr drops all of the past religious pretenses...seeing the essence of truth
running thru all of them....with many mistakes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 08:36 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Evangelicals.

There are way more ex- Catholics than ex-Evangelicals.
So more Catholics can leave any brainwashing.

Catholics are born into it, mostly; it is drilled into them early...thus, it is easier to leave it as adults.
Evangelicals more become to believe this way...so they tend to 'stay with it'...my
observation only.

Thus, to answer the op ques they are more brainwashed...tho, I personally do not use that word ever.

(Most don't know I was both a happy Catholic and Evangelical.
Now, I can not call myself even a Christian since I don't believe in the entire Apostles' Creed, the prerequisite for being a Christian...according to the Nicene Counsel.
Thus, I consider myself not brain washed to 'believe some dogma'....but follow my personal experience now...much like a new
NDEr drops all of the past religious pretenses...seeing the essence of truth
running thru all of them....with many mistakes.)
You could have solved your dilemma by simply becoming a cultural Christian. It seems most atheists had a strong need to believe the religion when they were trying to find themselves.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I disagree! I am a Catholic and and I more sane than most atheists.
Yeah well I've read your posts and the jury is still out on that one. I think you just sunk your own ship by owning Catholicism.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
I disagree! I am a Catholic and and I more sane than most atheists.
Are you saying that you are NOT saner than most Catholics or Evangelicals?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:25 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Are you saying that you are NOT saner than most Catholics or Evangelicals?
Freud said no one is normal. I just know that most Catholics are more tolerant than Atheists. The question that begs an answer is: Is intolerance a form of brainwashing?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:40 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Freud said no one is normal. I just know that most Catholics are more tolerant than Atheists. The question that begs an answer is: Is intolerance a form of brainwashing?
Vic, is that you?

Old 05-04-2019, 02:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Freud said a lot more things than that. But the idea of the fakeness of "normalcy" is beyond largely true.

So regardless, you said you were saner (and now "more tolerant" Hahaha) than Atheists. But I've met many Atheists who were very tolerant, and all who were very logical, not many "hardcore" Catholics that were. The laissez-faire lay Catholics I considered more Secular than Catholic. Perhaps it is the types of social circles you (and them Atheists that you personally interact with) are hanging around with or studying about.

More than certainly, social norms (such as various levels of tolerance) are a form of brainwashing. Just go to a majority Muslim country where "tolerance of religion (but not Atheism nor Idolatry)" is strictly socially enforced.

As is peer-pressure a form of brainwashing. However, the form of "brainwashing" made popular by sensationalists and entertainers in the media as a strictly "evil and aware structural manipulation of the unaware" is a supremely fake thing.

Most often, it is the self-assured blind leading the submitting blind. But technically, religion is really just peer-pressure with added psychologically influencing tropes and rituals. Thus, the manipulation/indoctrination is not as strict or underhanded as one might think. Most of them (both types of blind) are doing it out of the (proper or improper) fear that without the "induced order" (of their specific persuasion) there would be chaos.

----------------tldr -

So in terms of "normal saneness as tolerance," you think the order goes something like this:

1. you
2. other Catholics as a general average
3. Atheists as a general average

Q1: But where do Evangelicals (as a general average) fit in for you?
Q2: And is there anything relatively tolerant about the above "saneness order" viewpoint?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 05-04-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 02:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
No most Catholics are not tolerant at all. Ask my old neighbor who adopted a native American boy how tolerant her Catholic friends were (she was a Catholic herself). They told her god's punishment for her involved her infertility and having to adopt. And, they were not particularly nice to her child (who was 2 years old at the time).

Old 05-04-2019, 04:08 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Catholics tolerant ? Like my childhood and forever best friend could not even be in my wedding because it was to be held in my Baptist church?

Old 05-04-2019, 04:27 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Catholics tolerant ? Like my childhood and forever best friend could not even be in my wedding because it was to be held in my Baptist church?
I ran into the same thing when I was asked to be one of the groom's men for one of my best friends. I knew I had to ask the priest for permission to go to a Methodist service. I supposed it was a formality. But no, he said I couldn't attend. My response: "Just watch me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism