Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,946 times

Advertisements

Swami Vivekananda once said:

Science is nothing but the finding of unity. As soon as science would reach perfect unity, it would stop from further progress, because it would reach the goal. Thus Chemistry could not progress farther when it would discover one element out of which all other could be made. Physics would stop when it would be able to fulfill its services in discovering one energy of which all others are but manifestations, and the science of religion become perfect when it would discover Him who is the one life in a universe of death, Him who is the constant basis of an ever-changing world. One who is the only Soul of which all souls are but delusive manifestations. Thus is it, through multiplicity and duality, that the ultimate unity is reached. Religion can go no farther. This is the goal of all science.
All science is bound to come to this conclusion in the long run. Manifestation, and not creation, is the word of science today, and the Hindu is only glad that what he has been cherishing in his bosom for ages is going to be taught in more forcible language, and with further light from the latest conclusions of science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,946 times
well, my intention was to ask atheists / agnostics, what were their thoughts on vivekananda's words, whether you agree or disagree with it

Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
I read the Swami's words several times to try and be certain I grasped it all, and I think I do agree with him...basically. Religion came about because ancient peoples were trying to understand the world (they had no concept of the universe)...science is now the way that people are trying to understand the world & the universe. But it is an on-going, seemingly endless task...to find the end either in religion or in science.

My belief is that the beginning of all of this is what & where we all came from. Before that point there was nothing, not even "time". And if we have a purpose at all in this grand scheme of things, it is to return to that original source...call it god if you will, call it the Big Bang...maybe it is nothing more than a thought...god thinking.

Vivekananda is right in that there will never be unity until all questions are answered and that final goal of understanding is reached. Maybe that is when "Time" will end, maybe that's what it's all about. I think neither Science nor religion will ever reach that point of unity, though. With Science there just is no end to learning things...like a Googleplex number, for every answer another question will be raised. Christians (not Dharmic philosophies) will never reach a point of unity because they are not trying to question or learn, they simply accept what they have been taught and seem unwilling or afraid to question any futher. They want unity but only within the guidelines of their own perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism