Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,024,748 times

Advertisements

My great-niece is doing a research paper for school and has "An Historical Woman" as her topic. She has chosen Mary Magdelaine, and she came to me for my perspective, being a secular one. I personally believe Mary M. was Jesus' wife...that they may or may not have had a child, as some writings claim to be the truth. But I am not an expert at all on Mary M and her real association with Jesus...so I am wondering who out there might lend some further secular insight into her, which I may not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,270,315 times
Odd choice for a history project as there is not one shred of historical evidence for the existence of Mary M, Mary, or Jesus.

I would discourage her from using a religious icon and choose an actual historical figure. She has nothing to use as research except a religious book or various fictional books. Were I her teacher, I would not accept the choice of topic since she has nothing historical upon which to base her research. - only opinions.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:51 AM

It's not a History project, it's a creative writing class...and Mary M was one of the figures given on a list the instructor provided.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,270,315 times
Oh, in that case, she can make up anything as it is a fiction class - but the teacher should be reprimanded for misnaming the topic and interjecting her own religious views.

Is it plagarization if you take the Dan Brown story as the basis?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,897,507 times
Mary Magdalene is mentioned in several ancient texts (4 of which are cataloged in the Bible) and I believe there may even be a supposed "Gospel of Mary" but I might be mistaken on that.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,388,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
It's not a History project, it's a creative writing class...and Mary M was one of the figures given on a list the instructor provided.
That is a little weird. Is this in one of those "Bible-belt" public schools that I hear so much about?
Anyway, I like the idea. I actually believe that Mary M is most likely based on a real person (or people) and she is fascinating regardless of your religious beliefs. This could be an opportunity for your great-niece to learn something about how the Bible has effected the treatment of women to this day.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Oh, in that case, she can make up anything as it is a fiction class - but the teacher should be reprimanded for misnaming the topic and interjecting her own religious views.

Is it plagarization if you take the Dan Brown story as the basis?

You know...all I asked was if anyone had any thoughts or ideas on Mary M from a secular point of view...which is what the topic of the paper is about. Why are you trying to make an arguement out of this? The instructor has no interest in the religious view of this. Where did I say that? I stated "secular"...also on the list was Mother Theresa, Cleopatra, Martha Washington, Annie Oakly and several others.

Good grief!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks for your kind reply, b. frank....no the school is in Arizona. It's a writing class...not meant to have anything to do with religion...which is why I posted in the Atheist/Agnostic forum. I should not have brought this up, perhaps.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,388,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Thanks for your kind reply, b. frank....no the school is in Arizona. It's a writing class...not meant to have anything to do with religion...which is why I posted in the Atheist/Agnostic forum. I should not have brought this up, perhaps.
No, no - it's a good topic. The only "weird" part to me was the title "An Historical Figure" in reference to most Bible characters. But I have no problem in general with the Bible being explored in public schools - Creative Writing is a perfect settings for it.
I really do think that Mary M is a great character. Studying her is to explore age-old attitudes that society has towards things like gender, sex, morals, poverty, and compassion.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,961,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Mary Magdalene is mentioned in several ancient texts (4 of which are cataloged in the Bible) and I believe there may even be a supposed "Gospel of Mary" but I might be mistaken on that.
Yes, there is Gospel of Mary. It is part of the Gnostic Gospels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism