Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times

Advertisements

I can honestly say that this is something I've never done and will never do. I asked on a thread awhile back if there were people in your life that you wouldn't want to discuss your atheism with and I said that there was one person, my StepFather. Fortunately he's never asked me if I believe in God but if he asked me directly I would definitely say that I don't believe in God even though I know it would create some bad feelings. I realize that there are so many circumstances in which an honest answer that I'm an atheist could lead to problems but fortunately this has never happened to me. So have you ever found yourself in an awkward situation and you chose to pretend that you were religious just to avoid the unpleasant consequences? Also, let me say that I'm not being judgemental of anyone who felt the need to do this, I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
So have you ever found yourself in an awkward situation and you chose to pretend that you were religious just to avoid the unpleasant consequences?
All through elementary, middle, and high school

Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,860 times
40 Years ago, yes. My ex-husband was from a strict Lutheran family and I went along with everything to keep the peace. I would not do that now, but at the time it seemed the easiest way to survive.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
I've never done it and never will.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,144 times
Never pretended, they never asked about me being an atheist and I never brought it up.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:20 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,192 times
A religious leader has said "I expect to see your smiling face at church every week" and I just smiled and said "OK" (while biting my lip...don't count on it)

Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM

428 posts, read 1,631,246 times
When Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door, I pretend I subscribe to another religion. That's about it. Otherwise, I generally don't bring it up at all. (I confess to smiling and nodding from time to time just in passing. )

Teresa

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,685 times
While I've not pretended to be of another religion, I don't go willingly announcing my atheism, either. I live in the bible belt, and the first thing you get asked when you meet somebody is "What's your name? Which church do you attend?" ... normally when this happens I just say "I haven't found a church that suits me."

Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Never. I don't see the point. I don't particularly enjoy conflict but if people can seriously get offended by my atheism then bring it on !

I have never understood why anyone would have a problem with Atheists . What is so darn offensive to them ?

As long as one remains civil and polite and does not turn abusive towards religious people then it should not be an issue at all.

I would rather be true to myself and be honest with people. If they can't deal with the fact that I am not religious and do not believe in a deity then it is their problem not mine.

I find the very, very vast majority of religious people just accept it ( it might different in the Deep South though). I have had some wonderful philosophical and theological discussions with people from all walks of life and all faiths and it has always pretty much been a respectful exchange of ideas.

Even Muslims in the more "Islamized" countries I have visited through the years have always been extremely courteous to me, shaken their head with sadness occasionally but nothing more.

Respect is paramount and it goes both ways. I do not mind people telling me they believe so why should they mind me and my Atheism ?

Reasonable people would never take issue with it and I just do not give a Monkey's nut about the unreasonable ones so there is no issue for me.

I do not see how lying will ever help to break the cycle of self perpetuating fundamentalism amongst a certain part of the religious population. If they don't learn to deal with people like us then they will carry on thinking they and only they have a right to exist . I refuse to pretend to be something I am not.

We are not monsters, criminals , people to be ashamed and I am proud of my atheism. We form quite a large silent minority and it is high time for us to become more visible. Maybe we too should hold "Pride Parades" !

Atheism is here to stay, so get used to it is my attitude. I am not militant about it but if anyone asks or starts a conversation about faith then I am more than happy to chip in.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Never. I don't see the point. I don't particularly enjoy conflict but if people can seriously get offended by my atheism then bring it on !

I have never understood why anyone would have a problem with Atheists . What is so darn offensive to them ?

As long as one remains civil and polite and does not turn abusive towards religious people then it should not be an issue at all.

I would rather be true to myself and be honest with people. If they can't deal with the fact that I am not religious and do not believe in a deity then it is their problem not mine.

I find the very, very vast majority of religious people just accept it ( it might different in the Deep South though). I have had some wonderful philosophical and theological discussions with people from all walks of life and all faiths and it has always pretty much been a respectful exchange of ideas.

Even Muslims in the more "Islamized" countries I have visited through the years have always been extremely courteous to me, shaken their head with sadness occasionally but nothing more.

Respect is paramount and it goes both ways. I do not mind people telling me they believe so why should they mind me and my Atheism ?

Reasonable people would never take issue with it and I just do not give a Monkey's nut about the unreasonable ones so there is no issue for me.

I do not see how lying will ever help to break the cycle of self perpetuating fundamentalism amongst a certain part of the religious population. If they don't learn to deal with people like us then they will carry on thinking they and only they have a right to exist . I refuse to pretend to be something I am not.

We are not monsters, criminals , people to be ashamed and I am proud of my atheism. We form quite a large silent minority and it is high time for us to become more visible. Maybe we too should hold "Pride Parades" !

Atheism is here to stay, so get used to it is my attitude. I am not militant about it but if anyone asks or starts a conversation about faith then I am more than happy to chip in.
Come to the US (Specifically the southern states.) sometime. You'll have some fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism