Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Apologists Wasting Their Breath?
Yes. Give it a Rest. 34 97.14%
No. Make me a believer. 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times

Advertisements

It seems that for every valid question challenging religion there is an apologist with a lame excuse. The excuses usually amount to "well you don't know there is no God" or "there is no evidence against God."
It seems that there will always be an excuse for our questions since the apologist is not bound by natural law or reality, all they have to do is rely on the unprovable.

No apologist excuse has ever changed my mind about the existence of God. How about you?

Can anyone come up with an apologist answer for the existence of God that will blow my mind?

Are apologists wasting their breath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
Yes they are.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
Thank you. Anyone can make excuses that can't be proven. That doesn't make them true.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Why does it matter whether one believes there is a God?

1. If (only one) God exists, then one can make some guesses about God's attributes. Some of those guesses are purely hypothetical and others are deductions from known facts.

1a. Hypothetical. That is, ideas that God is "supernatural" which entails these attributes:

* omnipotent (but doesn't always demonstrate this in a "willful" manner)
* immaterial (except when choosing to influence time and space)
* holy
* good (presumes that God knows evil but always choose good, a dubious attribute of God)
* eternal
* creator of the universe

(Notice that all of these attributes might alternatively be applied to the "laws of nature" as a collection of impersonal forces, as might be understood by a scientist or scientifically minded nonscientist.)

1b. Deductions from known facts

1b1. Communications with human beings

1b1a. God does not, or only rarely, communicates directly with human beings. (However, consider that those who attest that they have communicated directly with God often also present evidence of mental instability.)

1b1b. If one accepts as fact that God rarely, if ever, communicates directly with human beings, this could mean that:

1b1b1. God isn't particularly interested in human beings. If God exists but isn't interested in human beings, then human life might therefore be interpreted as inherently difficult and hopeless in the long run except for the success that humans can gain in "figuring things (such as survival) out for ourselves." There are philosophies developed in the past (e.g., Stoicism, Cynicism) that address this world view.

1b1b2. God wants humans to "better themselves" by reaching out to God. If God exists but doesn't prefer to communicate directly with humans, this might be because he wants humans to strive to improve themselves, with the occasional helper tutorial offered from God. Many persons who believe in "holy books" would agree with this kind of idea.

1b2. Unexplainable phenomena have been witnessed by humans, and those events might have a supernatural origin.

1b2a. Yes, these might be evidence of God's existence and that God wants to make presence known in space and time.

1b2b. Yes, there are presently unexplained but are subject to a rational (such as scientific) explanation later in human history, just as many other previously misunderstood pheonomena have been explained.

2. God's existence could have serious implications for the past, present, and future of human life on Earth.

2a. God requires human conformance to God's commandments/laws/holy nature. Is this a reasonable deduction?

2a1. Does God "need" humans to conform? How important to God are humans? On what basis do we have knowledge of this importance? (From humans' communications with God? This is a a debatable issue from prior discussion above.)

2a2. Does God "expect" humans to conform, due to whatever evidence exists in the natural world of God's existence and expectations of humans?

3. One God might exist but not have "personal" attributes at all.

3a. It is impossible to "communicate" with God.

3b. Humans can only with difficulty learn "truths" about the impersonal God. Those truths might or might not be relevant to conducting human life and human society.

3c. There might be different/multiple methods for learning about the impersonal God.

3c1. Internally directed psychological reflection (meditation)
3c2. Investigation of the attributes (laws) of the natural world.
3c3. Pure thought about abstract subject matter.

4. Multiple Gods could exist. What evidence is there for this idea?

4a. If multiple gods exist, how do humans decide how to relate to each?

4b. Is one more powerful, but not "all powerful," than the others?

ETC.
ETC.
ETC.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 12-24-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Well, I would consider that when/if I ask a theist for some sort of proof for the existence of the great myth and I am asked in return to "Just have faith" that tells me that there is no proof and they are simply repackaging the easter bunny and they don't seem to care that I prefer the chocolate to the marshmallow. Oh yeah, nice post Park, "gotta spread it around before I can give you any more"

If (4a) is the question, the answer is "go with the god that will give you the winning lottery numbers, you know, that omniscient thing god is supposed to have.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Can anyone come up with an apologist answer for the existence of God that will blow my mind?

Are apologists wasting their breath?
No, I don't think an apologist can come up with an answer to blow your mind... Only you can do that..

Many apologists waste their breath because they think they have the power and wisdom to make someone believe what they want them to believe..No one has that sort of power over anyone. Belief is a very personal matter to me..In a conversation, I can tell you what and why I believe, but would not expect you to believe it, but you would know me a little better

Nonbelief is very understandable, easy to explain and easy to imagine.(for me).Belief is only fully understandable and self explanatory to oneself, imo..Neither is a reason not to respect or befriend someone

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,618 times
I was born and raised an atheist. I can't say for certain if it were Christian apologists that converted me to Catholicism, but yeah, I did convert to Catholicism.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
They are wasting away but if we discourage them, half the posts here will vanish! No more extended quotes from a holy book, no more caps or boldfaced font interspersed with multiple colors to drive home the point with clever fonty-visuals (rather than logic) - it won't be a pretty picture.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-27-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
If the bible were truly inspired by God it would be accurate and true and not conflict with anything that we know as fact. In that case there would be no need for apologists would there? The need for apologists arose when it was discovered over time what a complete mess the bible is.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Of course they are wasting their breath. I think what they fail to realise is that each side of the argument is working from a different premise. The non believer will see it as written and make his critique based on the evidence before him whereas the believer will find a way to interpret it so that it makes sense because his faith depends on it being true. "And never the twain shall meet"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism