Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If I got Darwin's Birthday off that could be neat too. (Okay this is theoretical as I'm unemployed)
I know a guy who pulled his daughter out of school on Darwin's birthday so she could come to his birthday celebration on the campus where I work. The school had no problem with it because the father cited it was due to their beliefs.

Personally, I like the idea of flex days that a person could use as they wish. The only drawback I can think of is that it might mess up a teacher's lesson plans if on any given day a bunch of kids were absent. But then, a day with a 100% full class is pretty rare anyway.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
The flex days idea does sound appealing, but I'm thinking there must be a downside I'm not seeing.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I know a guy who pulled his daughter out of school on Darwin's birthday so she could come to his birthday celebration on the campus where I work. The school had no problem with it because the father cited it was due to their beliefs.

Personally, I like the idea of flex days that a person could use as they wish. The only drawback I can think of is that it might mess up a teacher's lesson plans if on any given day a bunch of kids were absent. But then, a day with a 100% full class is pretty rare anyway.....

Teachers deserve to have off days, too. Nothing wrong with scheduling a day off on a day when 95% of the people all want it. If I'm one of the 5% living in a society I understand that sometimes the rest of society might celebrate a holiday I don't.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:58 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Heck, let them celebrate what they want, and they can call their holidays what they want. As long as i get a day off out of the deal, i dont care!
Pragmatism is such a nice attribute!!! Was gonna rep ya, but...gotta spread it around, etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I take it that you haven't read Thomas Paine, or for that matter a good portion of the writings of Benjamin Franklin. Neither of these two men trusted the church, or any church. They, and a lot of our founding fathers did not want the church, any church to have a say so in government. ergo the complete separation of church and state. Historically speaking, the citizenry truly suffers if the church has a say-so in government.
True, however, my point was that when you look how it has been implemented over the course of this past 100 years or so, it has been more lopsided than equal.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
True, however, my point was that when you look how it has been implemented over the course of this past 100 years or so, it has been more lopsided than equal.
Hummmm, it is not supposed to be equal, as per the constitution, churches are not supposed to have ANY say so in government.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:41 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
It is in the news today that Mayor Bloomberg (New York) is in conflict with the New York City Council over adding two Muslim holidays to the New YorK City Schools school year. Bloomberg says this would shorten the school year too much. The City Council says it's only fair since 12% of the students in New York city schools are Muslim.

Personally, I think all religious holidays should be abolished. Most schools are paid for by state government...aren't the relgious holidays a violation of separation of church and state?

What do you all think?
Religious holidays aren't even about religion anyhow, they are just dollar jerks like everything else Americana.

That being said, I couldn't care less whether or not we ever had another religious holiday. On the flip side of this, I couldn't care less whether or not another religious holiday is added to the list of arbitrary party days. I suppose that in one way I do like religious holidays - Double time pay makes a job feel a little better

But really though, I do object to state money feeding a religious day. I don' tthink abolition is needed though as many people actually appreciate these holidays, and I feel that I have no place to take that from someone. Keep the holiday - hell, people are going to celebrate it anyhow. Just don't make my tax dollars pay for it.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Flexdays would be the ultimate answer. The downside to that since kids and teachers would be taking different days off the scheduling might be tricky. Not impossible though, employers do it everyday.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Flexdays would be the ultimate answer. The downside to that since kids and teachers would be taking different days off the scheduling might be tricky. Not impossible though, employers do it everyday.

I think with certain professions it's a given that you may be required to work on certain 'holidays' and that it should be brought up and dealt with before hiring. I'm in the aircraft maintenance business and planes break on holidays... I don't expect that have holidays off and neither should some professions. Doctors, teachers, pharmacists etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:12 PM

543 posts, read 999,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I know a guy who pulled his daughter out of school on Darwin's birthday so she could come to his birthday celebration on the campus where I work.
Hmm, Darwin's Birthday?!
And people in here are criticizing believers for celebrating holidays. Isn't celebrating the birthday of a scientist the same as celebrating Christmas, Hannuka, or Ramadan?!

Atheism=/=Darwinism. If you adore Darwin so much, praise him like a God and make of Darwinism a legitimate religion, and stop mixing Darwinism with Atheism. Atheism is a philosophy, now, Darwinism is a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism