Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 AM

433 posts, read 964,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Credibility? Take a lesson from a fish. Cautiously circle the bait first.
Has the OP really converted? Or is it a strategy?
"strategy"? for what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
"strategy"? for what?
Well I wondered. One could imagine that a theist might log on pretending to have deconverted and claiming to feel oh-so-superior and do we feel the same way?

However, it was a reasonable question, so I suspended doubt and gave what I hoped was a reasonable answer.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well I wondered. One could imagine that a theist might log on pretending to have deconverted and claiming to feel oh-so-superior and do we feel the same way?

However, it was a reasonable question, so I suspended doubt and gave what I hoped was a reasonable answer.
:-) sorry, i must say, i'm amused but really puzzled as to what your reasoning might be. i'm still not sure what i could/would gain from doing that. please explain.

but with regards to your doubt, i assure you, i was a muslim until Nov. 08 when i bought and read Richard Dawkins' book (The God Delusion) after watching all his vids on youtube and since then, well, i've been an atheist feeling the way i described in my original post.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
:-) sorry, i must say, i'm amused but really puzzled as to what your reasoning might be. i'm still not sure what i could/would gain from doing that. please explain.

but with regards to your doubt, i assure you, i was a muslim until Nov. 08 when i bought and read Richard Dawkins' book (The God Delusion) after watching all his vids on youtube and since then, well, i've been an atheist feeling the way i described in my original post.
A conversion based on the works of Dawkins?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Thank you. I fully accept your assurance that have, for real, deconverted.

If you spend any time on atheist boards you become familiar with some of the modes of thought of theism and occasionally we do get some posts that look a bit suspicious. For example, "I used to be one of those theists but now I have faith in Darwin and Dawkins and now know there is no G*d and life is meaningless. I just want to know, why shouldn't I go around kiling everyone?"

And one begins to scent a trap. I'm sorry! But the mention of Dawkins is a bit like an undercover theist flashing a stolen ID card.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
A conversion based on the works of Dawkins?
among other things....like.....THINKING!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,387,186 times
Quote:
It is certainly tempting to regard theists as little kids. In fact, some of the smartest people I have known have been theists. It's just that, when you get onto theism the intelligence is used in a particular way. It's the twisted logic used by Paul and by all theists since and it's the same sort of twisted logic used in other religions and in all the cults.

Science and logic, I beg to suggest, are constructed with rules to ensure that doesn't occur. Checks, tests contols and peer reviews in science and tight rules in logic - as tight as those in mathematics.

In religion, cults and so many other areas, the idea is to win, not to get at the truth. The 'truth' is already known. The intelligence is used (or misused) to prevent the questioning. And cunning indeed that prevention can be.

So how is that like kids? I suppose it's like the gospel exhortation to eschew wisdom and just believe what one is told, like a little kid. except that little kids are quite smart sometimes. It's more that the gospel -writers want the believer to accept without question in the sort of way the gospel - thinks the little kids think. The tendency to stick the fingers in the ears is certainly similar.
You make a good point about theists using intelligence in a particular way. Of course humans, in general, tend to view and evaluate evidence a lot more emotively than one would think (evidence in a general sense). It's definitely not entirely rational. It's actually quite interesting, and I am happy to give references to some research done by science educators if anyone is interested.

The way I see it, most of the theists I know are like the little kid with the fantasy (santa, etc), who believe in that fantasy because they were told about it by some authority figure (usually a parent). The theists go on blindly believing because that's what they were told to do. Of course there are those with a more leader type take a stronger role, and I think your comments about intelligence being used (or misused) to prevent the questioning is right on the mark with them.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I fully accept your assurance that have, for real, deconverted.

If you spend any time on atheist boards you become familiar with some of the modes of thought of theism and occasionally we do get some posts that look a bit suspicious. For example, "I used to be one of those theists but now I have faith in Darwin and Dawkins and now know there is no G*d and life is meaningless. I just want to know, why shouldn't I go around kiling everyone?"

And one begins to scent a trap. I'm sorry! But the mention of Dawkins is a bit like an undercover theist flashing a stolen ID card.
LOL
gotcha.

thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
You make a good point about theists using intelligence in a particular way. Of course humans, in general, tend to view and evaluate evidence a lot more emotively than one would think (evidence in a general sense). It's definitely not entirely rational. It's actually quite interesting, and I am happy to give references to some research done by science educators if anyone is interested.
I'm interested. A lot of the conclusions I come to are a mix of personal obs. and some reading and I wonder whether any proper research had been done in modes of thought. It's true that people do not think rationally or logically and one reason is that, for some reason, basic logic is not considered a fit curriculum subject. Perhaps the people who set the curriculum do not want to teach the sheeple to become perspicacious.

Quote:
The way I see it, most of the theists I know are like the little kid with the fantasy (santa, etc), who believe in that fantasy because they were told about it by some authority figure (usually a parent). The theists go on blindly believing because that's what they were told to do. Of course there are those with a more leader type take a stronger role, and I think your comments about intelligence being used (or misused) to prevent the questioning is right on the mark with them.
I have heard some feedback about the parental figure being transcendentalized into a god-figure. I don't know whether this is evidence supported or just the latest science - scene no. 1 hit.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
I recently converted to being an Atheist
One doesn't "convert" to being an atheist (you don't capitalize the "a") there is no conversion process or ritual. You may come to the realization that you don't believe in religion or a supernatural power

Quote:
Since then (Nov. 08), I have this realization/feeling that others who do believe in a God are less than intelligent.
Well that ain't right! The sum total of person's intelligence can't not be determined by one set of personal beliefs. If being an atheist is a sign of superior intelligence then how would you weight the mind of a Augustine of Hippo or Thomas Aquinas vs, the mind of a Stalin or Hitler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism