Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,596 times

Advertisements

My niece e-mailed me a video. I can't post a link to it, because it's some kind of facebook application that requires people to log in. But it was basically this story set to really annoying, bad pop music that you can't turn down (Seriously, the little volume thing wasn't working, it was really irritating):

snopes.com: Dropped Chalk

The thing that gets me about this story is that it seems a little ironic. It's victimizing religious people. Are they trying to paint a picture of a world where Christians are oppressed by atheists because of their faith? I think it's more likely the other way around.

I also wanted to mention one of the comments. One guy said that he wished he was in that class so he could kick the s**t out of that professor. I don't get it. Does this guy consider kicking the s**t out of people an effective technique for converting non-believers? Or is doubting God's existence kind of like calling someone's mom fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Interesting. I've taken quite a few philosophy/logic/theology classes at 4 different colleges (2 universities, one in the US, one in Germany and 2 jr. colleges)and attended quite a few lectures on religion and philosophy and I have NEVER heard a professor call anyone a fool for their beliefs. I have witnessed students tell teachers they're fools (especially in world religion classes.... I swear, some christians just took the class so they could witness and try to prove the teacher 'wrong') and teachers just smile and move on...but a philosophy teacher running out of a room?

That story is complete bunk for anyone that's been involved in a University level philosophy or religion class. It is quite interesting though, that the christians do portray themselves as victims, especially considering all the churches, all the scholarships, all the services that are directly devoted to believers.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:17 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Christians being oppressed is just a sign of the last days to them. Of course they like to believe they're being persecuted. It's one of those prophecies that must be fulfilled, after all Believers in America seem to think that every little negative thing aimed at Christianity must mean "OMG PERSECUTION!" It's really quite funny what some consider that to be: "He turned down my church offer!? PERSECUTION!!! NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEY"LL BE TOSSING US TO THE LIONS!!!!" Yep, I'm sure that rapture is just around the corner lol.

I went to a private Christian school for two years. All my teachers warned me/us to "get ready" because in college they (you know, "them") are gonna try to change you. Be prepared! Oh the paranoia

Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 AM

690 posts, read 2,107,596 times
That "get ready" mentality is a little wrong, when you think about it. It's like saying, "Be careful, in college, they're going to try to get you to use reason and think." Isn't that the whole point of college in the first place?

Last edited by mjohnson4381; 08-30-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism