Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,522 times

Advertisements

This is my first time to this forum and i was hoping for some serious discussions on agnostic reasoning. Personally, i'm a Catholic and a scientist, so i have my own struggles with faith. But what is all the cristian bashing about, i know i know, the Church did this the church did that. The Church is made up of people and people are capable of awful things. I aggree that they shouldn't have covered it up, but is that the only thing you people have to talk about. I still believe in the church capacity to help and improve this world. What are your thoughts? Is there any athiest and agnostics who dont hate the Church?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
This is my first time to this forum and i was hoping for some serious discussions on agnostic reasoning. Personally, i'm a Catholic and a scientist, so i have my own struggles with faith. But what is all the cristian bashing about, i know i know, the Church did this the church did that. The Church is made up of people and people are capable of awful things. I aggree that they shouldn't have covered it up, but is that the only thing you people have to talk about. I still believe in the church capacity to help and improve this world. What are your thoughts? Is there any athiest and agnostics who dont hate the Church?
I think you will find that a good majority of the atheist and agnostics on this forum do not hate the Church, rather they hate the members of the Church who interpret the religion to fit their own agenda

Moderator cut: Deleted. The TOS applies to EVERY forum.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-20-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
The forum isn't anti christian. Christian bashing would be like saying christians are all delusional nutcases who don't have a brain cell to stand on. Being critical of religion isn't the same as bashing religion. Talking about things the church has done etc. isn't bashing christianity. Most atheists/agnostics here don't hate the church, they're just critical of it.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
maschuette: Since you are capitalizing the Church, I think you mean the Catholic Church specifically. As an ex-Catholic, I am appalled by the recent coming to light of pedophilia within it and the relocation of pedophile priests. I am an atheist and feel no need for the teachings, which I regard as mythology. I know many intelligent theists, but they give religion an exemption from the analytical thought which they apply to other parts of their lives.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
maschuette surely must realise, that the Catholic Church knew about these appalling crimes, committed against the weakest in our society, yet the church PROTECTED these monsters & moved them to other areas where they were free to abuse again.
We know now that the Pope as the then Cardinal Ratzinger knew about these abuses but chose to protect his church rather than those poor abused children.
I believe by allowing these crimes to continue the Pope is as complicit as the predators he sought to protect.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:58 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I would expect a negative view of christianity on this forum, and fine it strange you would look for any other view on any Atheist and Agnostic forum. Your statement is common from christians who see “hate” when confronted by any view other than their standard myths.
Most Atheists see the negatives in Christianity, and especially in today’s issues with the catholic church. The contractions in the bible, selective interpretations, changed text through both mistranslation, and the need to corrupt the history or a message, condoning slavery, their violent conversion methods, their use of fear to control the masses, and their attempts to control science and expanding knowledge are but a few of the issues which put a negative light on the organized christian church. This in no way relates to hating christianity, it relates to our ability to see the lies, and damage caused by the organizations, which related to direct conversations pointing out these flaws.
Your statement on being a scientists and a christian would put my mind in a perpetual conflict. It does not take long to see the myths of the bible don’t meet even a fraction of what is needed to prove a theory, much less set the values of my life.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:

Wait.... are you surprised that some atheists, many of whom are ex-Christians of various flavors, may be critical of Christianity?

Why would this surprise you?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Well, if you had clicked by a few months ago you'd have seen more of what you claim you were looking for, but at the moment we are all busy being appalled by the reprehensible actions of your church. Blaming the homosexuals. Blaming the CHILDREN!!! Anything to avoid responsibility. How people can still defend them, after they did everything in their power to protect pedophiles so they could have a shot at your kids too... well, I just don't understand that at all.

Quote:
I still believe in the church capacity to help and improve this world. What are your thoughts?
Given their bloody history, I never believed in the Catholic church's capacity to help and improve the world, and if I ever had, I surely would not now.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 AM

457 posts, read 757,009 times
Quote:
I'll fess up; I have a problem with the Catholic Church. I try not to bash them/it on this site but I'm sure my attitude bleeds out. Some of my comments have been removed by mods because of their caustic nature but that only solidifies my belief. It's not the people of the catholic faith that I have an ax to grind but the concepts and history of those who
govern it. (Funny I use the word GOVERN)
My family has had the priest of our parish call us out during mass as shameful. My best friend was suicidal and went to speak to a priest only to have him say "you need to go to the hospital". As a child I asked a priest to bless my rosary only to have him slam the bible down on his desk then wave my rosary around like he was shooing off a fly. To name only a few.
Maybe I’m the only one here to feel this negatively about the catholic religion but had it not been for these events I still may, IMO, be blind to a different reality.
Moderator cut: References to moderator actions are deleted. IMO, most people of most religions look down their noses on non-believers which is way out of line because most religions tell you only THIER GOD we be the judge yet......

Last edited by june 7th; 04-20-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Exclamation Great Forum to me, but..

... it is meant to reduce one's appreciation of mental intentions we have (upon sharing in the Church's tradition) during the ordinary secularist cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism