Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 AM

75 posts, read 233,749 times

Advertisements

Wow, full price offer within the first week of it being listed! Only problem is the buyer wants to close in 6 days, which is a little too aggressive, since we have not even started looking for a place to live back in New England. Is a closing this aggressive normal? I think the 3 houses we have purchased in the past have all had roughly 30 day or longer closings. I'd love to take this offer and escape the traffic here, but doing so without having a place to live for the new school year (which starts later up north thank God) is a bit scary. Anyone have experience with such an aggressive close schedule? This is a deal killer for me, I won't take the risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:45 AM

138 posts, read 623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobark View Post
Dear Gnatty:
You should always follow your realtor's advice on how to maximize your home's saleability. Hopefully you will select a realtor that is all about East Cobb. If you go HSBO, then you know the ropes, right?
I sold my last home in less than 7 hours because it had new carpet, fresh paint, and the frontal image was enhanced. Polish your brass, paint the front door, landscape tastefully, board the pets, put on some smooth jazz, a touch of seasonal scent, some fresh houseplants, crisp linens on all the beds, bathrooms cleaner than the Ritz Carlton, Fresh flowers on the entry way table, put all your extraneous stuff in a storage facility nearby, remove all the magnets off the fridge, send the kids to camp and beg the neighbors to cool it. Think positively. If you can't sell a 4/2.5 in Walton district, East Cobb right now, then something is terribly wrong.
However, never move to a new job, new city for just the money. If you positively absolutely have to go, just remember that buying back into East Cobb after you've come to your senses will be very costly.
Good Luck !!!
Might be the best post I've ever seen on these forums.

STAGE THAT HOUSE when you go to sell it. Like Mobark said get a realtor that is really good and knows your area. Interview a bunch of them.

And when you go to sell make sure it looks like a brand new model home. My wife and I are about to sell our home in Buford and for 4 weeks we have been packing this house, had a painter here every single day painting and fixing everything, have brand new carpet where there aren't wood floors, we are doing the landscaping, getting rid of ugly furniture, staging with flowers, plants, candles, nice drapes, etc. etc. etc.

It's all about staging, marketing, advertising, and pricing right.

I can't tell you how many times I've shown properties to clients and they will have dogs in the house, cat stuff everywhere, the house stinks, stains on the carpets, cigar and cigarette smoke and smell in the house, old furniture...

Those houses do not sell.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
Thanks to you both, that's very encouraging. I plan on using a staging company to maximize the house's appeal. We have almost new carpet in the bedroom areas (very neutral color, about a year old), slate tile in the foyer and laundry room, and just had the kitchen redone last year, so hopefully that will help us out.
That is good to hear!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Wow, full price offer within the first week of it being listed! Only problem is the buyer wants to close in 6 days, which is a little too aggressive, since we have not even started looking for a place to live back in New England. Is a closing this aggressive normal? I think the 3 houses we have purchased in the past have all had roughly 30 day or longer closings. I'd love to take this offer and escape the traffic here, but doing so without having a place to live for the new school year (which starts later up north thank God) is a bit scary. Anyone have experience with such an aggressive close schedule? This is a deal killer for me, I won't take the risk.
1st off congrats on the full price offer! That is great!

If the close date is a deal killer for you have you discussed that with your realtor? They should be calling the selling (buyers) agent and discussing that with them ASAP.

Negotiating between agents is done over the phone all the time. He/she should be able to talk to the other agent and explain your situation and that you will need some more time to prepare to move and see if that's something you guys could all agree on.

I would have them make that call asap.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
I'd take the offer and do whatever I need to move out. Market is TERRIBLE for sellers so the earlier you can get rid of your home, IMO, the better. Storage, rentals...anything can be done with your 'stuff'

Old 07-24-2007, 08:02 AM

84 posts, read 354,864 times
Maybe you could take the offer, and ask the buyer if you could rent the house back for a month or two while you are preparing your move back up north. Just a thought.

Last edited by Sarasota_Blues; 07-24-2007 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Market is TERRIBLE for sellers so the earlier you can get rid of your home, IMO, the better.
Not sure I agree. A full price offer within a week, and another offer that was only slightly below full price? I wouldn't call that terrible!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
If the close date is a deal killer for you have you discussed that with your realtor? They should be calling the selling (buyers) agent and discussing that with them ASAP.
Yes, I mentioned that to the realtor, that I will not be rushed into closing if there is any risk that in a month my kids won't have a place to live come month end!! I told them that we would accept the offer contingent on the seller (us) being able to locate suitable housing by August 30, with closing obviously on August 30. If they decline, no harm no foul, the market in our subdivision is strong, and we have had 2 serious offers and about 6 showings in 6 days, so I am not in that much of a hurry.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:51 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
Quote:
Not sure I agree. A full price offer within a week, and another offer that was only slightly below full price? I wouldn't call that terrible!

Location, location, location - I have been paying 2 mortgages for close to 2 years because I can't unload my house in Gwinnett!!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM

60 posts, read 323,409 times
Quote:
We have an opportunity to relocate, but the company does not have a relocation plan that includes a backstop offer in the event our home doesn't sell quickly. They are offering a large lump sum to cover all of these costs instead. I guess a home can always sell if you price it low enough, but we are a young family, and cannot afford to lose our shirt on our house.
You know, stuff in the Walton district can move very quickly (like, under 3 days) if it's distinguished from the neighbors. Slap a coat of paint on it for curb appeal, widen the interior doorways, and watch it fly. A 4 br with no basement just sold for $450 in under 3 days, sellers made $100k on it in under 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: