Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,914 times

Advertisements

Anyone used ZipCar (Hourly/Daily) car rental before?

(usually around $7hr, or $66ish a day, includes 150miles, gas, and insurance)

good? bad? overpriced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Never used them, but sounds like a good deal for someone that lives intown. Just owning a car cost money. The loaded cost of driving is around 50 cents a mile, (not counting parking) so $7 sound good, You are buying TIME, MARTA can get you there (maybe) but will take 2-? times as long, you can go when you want, leave when you want. Carry a bunch of stuff, & few people. Not a bad deal. For Longer Trips I'd look at getting a rental that includes Un-Limited Miles, (Don't do rentals from airport if it can be avoided) Airport Taxes & fees add about 20% to the rentals.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM

23 posts, read 74,787 times
I've used ZipCar in Atlanta. I think it's a great deal and very convenient, especially if you have a Smart phone that you can reserve cars from (ZipCar has an app). At first, it seemed a little pricey to me, but when you factor in gas being included with your rental, it's really a great deal. I'm moving into Midtown and planning to forego my car for a couple of months to see if I can get by walking, taking MARTA, and using ZipCar.

I think ZipCar is really ideal for running errands, using the car for 3 or 4 hours. I'm not sure it's such a good deal to keep a ZipCar for a full day, unless you're planning to go a pretty far distance (the limit is 180 miles, I think).

The best part is that there are a dozen or so cars I can choose from in walking distance, so I can get a car in whatever size/shape is best for my current task. Driving around the city: Mini Cooper. Running errands: Honda Civic. Picking up furniture at IKEA: Honda Element. Moving: Toyota Tacoma.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM

216 posts, read 413,695 times
I'm a ZipCar member. It's a great option for people without cars if there are ZipCar spots near where you live, and the best part about it is that when you rent a ZipCar, they pay for gas and you're covered by insurance. Most cars can be rented by the day for around $66-$70 dollars, but again remember that includes gas and insurance. They also have a special where you can rent a car between 6pm and 8:30am the next day (it might be 8am) for around $35. Reserving or extending a car (if it's not reserved after your time) is painless, and their customer service is good.

The $75 fee to join breaks down to a one-time $25 application fee, part of which is them checking your driving record for insurance coverage purposes, etc. The remaining $50 is the yearly membership fee. I don't regret joining at all.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,914 times
first year free now

Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
I'm a zipcar member, and yes, it's been a pleasant and convenient experience. But, most cars here in midtown are priced at $9-10 an hour, and it really adds up. I also hate having to watch the clock because there is a $50 penalty for returning even a minute late.

Running errands in say, buckhead, ends up costing $40 just for the transportation aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: