Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 13,907 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm having a difficult time choosing between Kennesaw State University and Georgia State University. I'm a female and pretty small so looking for somewhere safe. I'd be staying on campus and hopefully get a job without bringing a car to school. Any pros and cons of either school? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

227 posts, read 494,600 times
If you're looking for somewhere safe, you should scratch Georgia State University all together.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...niversity.html

Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
They are both great institutions, and the growth at both has been nothing short of amazing, the nod probably goes to GA State for having a NCAA team in Football and Basketball, and a brand new law school.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
well the safest possible environment would have to be KSU... I mean it is it's own well-defined campus without alot within walking distance around it and GSU is more incorporated into a more mixed cosmopolitan city environment. It is a part of the city, which brings its own pros and cons. There are many things that you can walk to. Many places to eat and explore, but many other people also walk in, around, and through the area.

If it helps you visualize:
KSU's campus: Kennesaw, GA - Google Maps
GSU's campus: Kennesaw, GA - Google Maps

However, I would urge you to look further at any other trade offs you might be making. GSU isn't necessarily that unsafe, especially if you stay with groups of people after dark. I'm willing to bet their residential programs have personal safety recommendations/courses to help you out. During the day the area is really busy and there are lots of people around everywhere. While to some that might admittedly be intimidating, it makes the area very safe as everyone's actions are very visible to maaany people.
GSU as of 1995 is a full research university and KSU is just a 4-year state university.
For undergrads this doesn't necessarily mean all that much, but what it will mean especially in particular fields... you will see more professors that are heavily invested in peer-reviewed research. You will also see the state provide more financial support to the university per student... as their goal isn't just to provide a comprehensive core education, but also to provide a wider array of intellectual resources, research opportunities, and research faculty.

In short you can get good comprehensive undergrad education at either place, but if you want to get more intellectually involved and look for extra opportunity and find more faculty that are more involved with intellectual research... you are best off at GSU.

But that may or may not be important to you. I would consider exactly what all you are looking for in a college exactly and then comparing the pros and cons of each carefully. I would also pick... not 1, but 5 or 6 different fields/majors+related majors you think you would gravitate towards. If several of those fields/majors happen to be a top-notch program as GSU, then they should be considered heavily in your decision. If they aren't, then KSU might provide a much more equitable alternative to GSU anyways.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
I went to GSU from 2002 - 2006 and got a BS in Urban Policy Studies and Aviation. I strongly recommend GSU. It's one of four real international research universities in the state (along with Emory, Georgia Tech, and UGA), whereas KSU is just sort of a regional school.

Also, GSU being in downtown was a big plus for me. I lived in our dorms, which were the Olympic village at the time, for two years. Now they've got new dorms off Piedmont a lot closer to campus that look really nice. I'd recommend staying in the dorms for at least a year to see how you like it and get the "college experience."

I thought it was an excellent school with good faculty and a great student body. There were always events going on and meeting people was very easy. And if I had a break between classes, I could go get lost between the skyscrapers of downtown.

Of course with 30,000 students, you're bound to have incidents and crimes, but I was never concerned with my safety and I never knew anyone (not even a friend-of-a-friend) that ever had a problem. If you've got night classes, the police will walk you to your car or MARTA if you like. The dorms were always crawling with campus police, actually to an annoying level.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the school in general.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
For safety, KSU is much safer.

But life in Cobb County is tough without a car. If you want to work, other than getting a job on campus, you would probably need a car to get to work. For access to public transportation GSU is much better as it is at the crossing of the East/West and North/South rail lines. But GSU is in the heart of the city and has more crime.

But you didn't mention a major. You probably should go to the school with the better program.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM

426 posts, read 1,445,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
a brand new law school.
Just FYI, the law school has been around for about thirty years. It was recently named the top value for law schools in the nation and its bar passage rate is typically the top in the state. It will have a new building in the next few years though, the land has been purchased and planning is underway.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
GSU...true college, KSU is a newbie

Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
Oh also, you should be able to get by fine without a car at GSU. I didn't have one my first year in the dorms and it wasn't a problem. We could either take marta or a shuttle bus to class (this was back when the dorms were far away, I think you could probably walk from the current ones) and they had a shuttle that went to Kroger a couple times a day. Also, at least one of your roommates is bound to have a car.

GSU also had a ton of on campus jobs. Lots of clerical and administrative assistant type positions and I'm sure other stuff as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
I'd say it also depends on what your majoring in, and what you want to get out of your education. People are mentioning things like "top-rated research institution" "NCAA football team" and "best value law school"- if you're just looking to go to school for a degree in education or liberal arts, none of that may be even remotely relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta