Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yup, it's cold, but everything is relative. I lived 15 years in New England, where people wouldn't blink at this kind of weather in Dec.

The thing I find about GA when it gets cold is that a lot of people don't dress for it. You can't go out with a thin jacket or sweatshirt when it's in the 20s or 30s. You have to dress for the weather, and given that it gets this cold every year, there is no excuse for not having a winter coat or jacket.
Yes! This is one of my pet peeves about the local population. All those kids waiting for the school bus in hoodies, sometimes shorts, in this weather. What are the parents thinking? (Don't try to tell me that it's a money problem. Not in the subdivisions I'm thinking of -- and before the recession, too). We're from Canada and my high schooler goes out the door for school in this weather wearing a parka type jacket and gloves.

Actually I was chatting about just this phenomenon after church on Sunday, with an elderly lady who moved here in mid-life from New York City. She says the lack of winter clothing on people when it's cold is one of the first things she noticed on moving here, decades ago, and she concluded that it's denial - southerners don't want to acknowledge that it gets cold here on a regular basis. Sounds like a plausible theory to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Well you are the exception ADRIC. The vast majority of people who move down here like to pretend that out cold isn't really cold -- and especially the many Atlanta haters on C-D who'll come up with anything to diss the city (or the south for that matter). But truth is, and as I've always said cold is cold -- once you drop below freezing, there's not that much difference IMO. And if you look at that forecast for next week in Atlanta, it's frigid no matter how (or where) you cut it. This is when people confess "I had no idea it go this cold in Georgia!" to which the rest of us respond, "DUH!"

Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Forecast for ATL next week.

Looks insanely cold.

Monday

Dec 13Sunny (Clear)
Hi:24°Lo:10°
Sunny. High 24F and low 10F. Winds NW at 25 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Tuesday

Dec 14Sunny (Clear)
Hi:29°Lo:11°
Sunny. High 29F and low 11F. Winds NW at 7 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Wednesday

Dec 15Mostly Sunny
Hi:37°Lo:21°
Mostly Sunny. High 37F and low 21F. Light winds. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
No other weather websites are saying that it is going be this cold next week.

I've seen people wear shorts in MD when I was high school. Surprised me then and its surprises me now.

I guess, some people are just built different.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Local weather conditions, forecasts and Doppler radar maps - MSN Local Edition Weather

Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,394 times
thanks. interesting.

I guess, the rest haven't updated yet. FOX says another artic blast is on the way.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,697 times
I have relatives in town from Denver, right now, and my uncle was wearing shorts and a t-shirt! Guess he thought he was in for some warm weather!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And getting colder -- lows in the teens as far south as the coast this week. And it's not even winter yet!

BUT WAIT! According to C-D posters in other parts of the country, it doesn't get cold in Georgia! Or the South for that matter. It's always hot and humid here, right?

Hmmm ... maybe it's just our imagination?
It gets pretty cold in Atlanta, luckily for me Im in St. Croix chillaxing in 75¤ weather. Atlanta has 4 seasons...who says its not winter, Dec, Jan & Feb were always winter to me. like March, April & May being spring & June, July & August always being super hot...Winter has not started yet?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I must have a very vivid imagination, because I'm inside with a hoodie pulled over my head, my hands are pulled inside the sleeves when not typing, two pairs of socks, and still shivering. (Oh - and jeans. I *am* wearing an entire outfit. )
We want pics!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
We want pics!
Haha! No you don't! I'm wrapped up like a mummy, now! Blankets, blankets, and more blankets!! (And, yes, still fully dressed underneath, but have switched from jeans to sweatpants. SEX-AY!)

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Forecast for ATL next week.

Looks insanely cold.

Monday

Dec 13Sunny (Clear)
Hi:24°Lo:10°
Sunny. High 24F and low 10F. Winds NW at 25 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Tuesday

Dec 14Sunny (Clear)
Hi:29°Lo:11°
Sunny. High 29F and low 11F. Winds NW at 7 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Wednesday

Dec 15Mostly Sunny
Hi:37°Lo:21°
Mostly Sunny. High 37F and low 21F. Light winds. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA

An update:

10 Day Weather Forecast for Atlanta, GA - weather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta