Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,852,692 times

Advertisements

What do you think the peeplestown/summer hill/mechanicsville areas will be like in 5 to 10 years? Why?

Secondly, will the areas ever see a major resurgence and even become desirable to affluent intown dwellers and families? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
I'm not so sure affluent is the right word as middle-class or younger people.
I would really like to see a small entertainment destination sprout up near Turner Field (Sports taverns, restaurants, etc..). This would make these neighborhoods much more attractive to some people.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM

444 posts, read 703,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I would really like to see a small entertainment destination sprout up near Turner Field (Sports taverns, restaurants, etc..). This would make these neighborhoods much more attractive to some people.
Cwkimbro, I'm in agreement with you. It would be nice if the area around Turner Field had more Wrigleyville-esque bars, restaurants and establishments. The residential streets already appear to be intact to some degree, but a lot more mixed use development along the corridors and some intersections would really enhance that area. Weren't there plans to develop some of the surface parking around Turner Field?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
I was involved in a project 20+ years ago that focused on these neighborhoods and laying the groundwork for revitalization. I am continually amazed at how little changed.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,802 times
According to the folk at Emmaus House, Atlanta the main problem is jobs - or the lack thereof. There used to be some businesses in Peoplestown but they keep closing and/or moving away.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM

444 posts, read 703,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
There used to be some businesses in Peoplestown but they keep closing and/or moving away.
That's a shame. Hopefully, as more people continue to move intown, things will turn around for that area.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Cwkimbro, I'm in agreement with you. It would be nice if the area around Turner Field had more Wrigleyville-esque bars, restaurants and establishments. The residential streets already appear to be intact to some degree, but a lot more mixed use development along the corridors and some intersections would really enhance that area. Weren't there plans to develop some of the surface parking around Turner Field?
I'm not sure, but it would sure be nice. Wrigleyville and surrounding neighborhoods are nice. One major problem blocking the development is sure to be the Braves organization themselves. The best place to put it and create a neighborhood feel around the ballpark are parking lots owned by the Braves that actually bring in alot of money for them.

I guess any development plan would have to make more money than the amount of building sizable parking decks that can handle alot of traffic on much smaller footprints.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
According to the folk at Emmaus House, Atlanta the main problem is jobs - or the lack thereof. There used to be some businesses in Peoplestown but they keep closing and/or moving away.
I think part of the problem is there needs to be a "critical mass" of entertainment development to attract people to the area. I don't think a few businesses would be successful alone. I think you have to create a whole new area from the ground up that is so interesting sports fans will want to go there before, during, and after games, whether or not they have tickets to the event.

Of course... if this is true... it is all or nothing... More expensive to develop, but also more risky.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Summerhill, by the way (not two separate words).

A map for those participating in this thread:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_v.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
I think the major hindrance (for Summerhill at least) is the Braves organization and the mega-surface parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: