Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 AM

120 posts, read 263,864 times

Advertisements

thanks to ga dot i lost money again today. i work for fed ex and i go from atlanta to al everyday. our runs got canceled again today. why dont they brime the roads before the storm gets here. like nc sc tn does. it would cost a whole lot less to clean up if they did but this is government at its best. ga dot you screwed me this week ive got bills to pay thankyou much. sorry folks just a rant here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Gotta love how the Governor refuses to answer any questions about it and all he can say is "Right now, we just don't know". I have a feeling we are going to hear those words a lot in the next 4 years.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
What do you expect? Everyone wants to cut taxes and cut spending. When you do that government services suffer.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
Yeah, I think it's inexcusable for 285 to be shut down this long.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM

120 posts, read 263,864 times
yes im a fan of cutting taxes and spending look at my name but it would cost much less to brime the roads before hand than what they are dealing w/ the last couple of days. pre treating the roads work go to tn or nc the last couple of days and you would see that, and its much cheaper than what ga dot is doing right now

Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Would it cost much less to purchase, house and maintain the brine and equipment to lay it down and have crews ready to do this work, all winter every year for years and years of no/minimal snow? Unlikely.

I'm a liberal so I don't have knee-jerk support for cutting taxes and spending, but I am for sensible use of public resources. It annoys me when people who normally complain about "big government" and taxes start complaining that there should be more public services the moment they are personally inconvenienced. You can't have it both ways.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Would it cost much less to purchase, house and maintain the brine and equipment to lay it down and have crews ready to do this work, all winter every year for years and years of no/minimal snow? Unlikely.

I'm a liberal so I don't have knee-jerk support for cutting taxes and spending, but I am for sensible use of public resources. It annoys me when people who normally complain about "big government" and taxes start complaining that there should be more public services the moment they are personally inconvenienced. You can't have it both ways.

Not that any of those said people will ever admit that though...

Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
Quote:

+1 for you. That is the post of the day.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
This sort of storm happens how often? 1 out of 10 years at the most? In order to prepare for a storm like this you need a lot of resources (more than the state currently has). How many plows does the state have? How many do they need for a storm like this? In order to plan for this sort of storm and be fully prepared for it we would have dozens of plows sitting around for the 5-10 years between this and our next big storm. Poor use of resources. If we have to deal with this once every 5-10 years, so be it. I'd rather do that than tie up millions of dollars a year in resources that aren't used.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM

262 posts, read 637,582 times
Quote:

Perfectly stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta