Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Air View Post
But if you're interested in music or liberal arts, KSU is probably best.
The liberal arts refers more to a style of education than a field of studies (e.g. a liberal arts college). The sciences would be considered part of the liberal arts. In terms of actual music and fine arts, GSU versus KSU would depend on the subject (e.g., GSU for opera, KSU for ballet - really). What GSU gives you is a true research university (meaning that faculty are expected to be actively involved in large-scale research projects, whether it is in English or neuroscience), that maintains a strong commitment to undergraduate education. The less research-focused the college/university, the higher the faculty teaching loads (hence the less time for research). This means that opportunities for quality classroom instruction may or may not be equal in both types of places, but opportunities for exposure to research may be absent in non-research universities/colleges. The risk is that at some research universities (including some programs at GSU) the emphasis is so focused on graduate education that undergraduate students do not get exposure to research (and are taught more by graduate students than faculty). For most all programs at GSU, that is not the case. I will let others who know more about the other Georgia research universities to comment on whether or not that is the case there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Can I throw another idea? If you want to live on campus and have a true college campus type of experience, either of these schools are still commuter type campuses. I know that both have added on site housing in the last decade or so, but the vast majority of the students still come from off campus.

Have you considered any of the smaller schools in the state university system? Georgia Southern (Statesboro), West Georgia (Carrollton), Valdosta State, North Georgia (Dahlonega), Georgia Southewstern (Americus), Georgia College and State University (Milledgeville) to name a few. All of these have historically been residence schools and have good reputations. Would give a more "life on campus" feel than either KSU or GSU, IMHO. Just throwing out some suggestions, especially since you seem interested in living on campus.
Not that Atlanta is a hotbed for jobs but she said she also wanted a job. College towns such as those are tough job markets. And getting around without a car in a college town is possible but you need someone to get you there and back. GSU is the best for the carless student.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,377 times
Default KSU over GSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzieschaef View Post
Hi - I'm having a difficult time choosing between Kennesaw State University and Georgia State University. I'm a female and pretty small so looking for somewhere safe. I'd be staying on campus and hopefully get a job without bringing a car to school. Any pros and cons of either school? Thanks!

Going primarily on what you mentioned, KSU wins hands down. While both are excellent universities, you mentioned what is important to you.

Safety was the first thing you mentioned so I can only assume it's high up on your list? That said, Kennesaw/North Cobb is far, far safer than GSU could ever hope to be. Check out the posts on GSU robberies and shootings...nuff' said. It just ain't safe down there no matter how trendy and hip people want it to be. Again, a great university in a ghetto. Period. What's the point of an education if you don't live long enough to use it??? And while crime is everywhere, it's more so in downtown Atlanta.

Staying on Campus, getting a job. There are a myriad of college student type employment opportunities in and around KSU. I would venture to say that for every job you could/would get in and around GSU, there are 10 near KSU. And growing....The suburbs have opportunities. Downtown??? Not so much or as many.

Hopefully WITHOUT bringing a car to school....didn't say you didn't have one or could not get one....this, you would need and highly advised. Now, to be sure, you don't need a mack daddy car, just sensible transportation. And here's a cool thing. At KSU it will probably be there, in tact, in the morning!!! What a concept!!! It's college, get a car, enjoy the safety and comfort of KSU and avoid the hassles of downtown.

Hey, with a car, if you are feeling edgy you can always go down there. Good luck with that but, at least you will know you will be LEAVING when the party is over....

KSU vs. GSU??? KSU for YOUR needs and concerns, hands down. GSU is a great university and an excellent curriculum. But, then again, KSU is no slouch either. As far as the football team, well, KSU has one coming in next year/2012. So, my guess is that that KSU will be much, much larger over time than GSU with all the accoutriments therein. I believe it already has 25,000 plus students (graduate and underclassmen)....3rd largest enrollment in the state....and growing....the dorms are nice, SAFE, as is hte parking deck and for the most part, you can walk to class.....

KSU, hands down....

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzieschaef View Post
Hi - I'm having a difficult time choosing between Kennesaw State University and Georgia State University. I'm a female and pretty small so looking for somewhere safe. I'd be staying on campus and hopefully get a job without bringing a car to school. Any pros and cons of either school? Thanks!
i was faced with the same choice few years ago.

i chose KSU and you should too.

there are jobs within walking distance and many more a 2-3 mile bus ride away. bus goes right into campus (CCT)

Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
It just ain't safe down there no matter how trendy and hip people want it to be. Again, a great university in a ghetto. Period. What's the point of an education if you don't live long enough to use it???
Quote:
And here's a cool thing. At KSU it will probably be there, in tact, in the morning!!! What a concept!!!
What the hell are you talking about? Have you even ever been to the area? If so, were your eyes open? Yes crime is going to be higher in a city, however that doesn't mean you're not safe. Do you have non anecdotal evidence to support your statements that you'll be murdered, or at least carjacked, if you go to GSU other than your opinion of "SUBURB GOOD, CITY BAD!"

Quote:
Staying on Campus, getting a job. There are a myriad of college student type employment opportunities in and around KSU. I would venture to say that for every job you could/would get in and around GSU, there are 10 near KSU.
Really? I would venture to say that I'm going to fly on the back of a yellow parrot to Europe tomorrow. I think I've put exactly as much research into that statement as you did the one above it.

Quote:
The suburbs have opportunities. Downtown??? Not so much or as many.
Again, what in God's name are you basing this on? I live in Manhattan now; that's like me saying, "City? No, all the jobs are out on Staten Island!" There's a reason that morning traffic all around the country flows away from the suburbs and into the cities, and vice versa in the afternoon: cities are where the jobs are. All of those skyscrapers aren't just facades designed to look nice from the interstate.

Come to the city if you want more jobs, more people to get to know, and significantly more culture, with the trade off of a higher cost of living and yes, higher crime statistics (as I mentioned before, I went to GSU for four years and now live in Manhattan and have never had so much as someone give me an aggressive look).

For some people it's worth it, for other's its not. Do research and decide for yourself, but don't be swayed by people pulling "data" out of their rear end and blowing stuff out of proportion and passing it off as fact.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Going primarily on what you mentioned, KSU wins hands down. While both are excellent universities, you mentioned what is important to you.

Safety was the first thing you mentioned so I can only assume it's high up on your list? That said, Kennesaw/North Cobb is far, far safer than GSU could ever hope to be. Check out the posts on GSU robberies and shootings...nuff' said. It just ain't safe down there no matter how trendy and hip people want it to be. Again, a great university in a ghetto. Period. What's the point of an education if you don't live long enough to use it??? And while crime is everywhere, it's more so in downtown Atlanta.
I agree that KSU is safer but you make it sound as if GSU students are being shot on a regular basis, and students are filled with anxiety that they might be killed before making it to graduation. No, that's not the reality.

Quote:
Staying on Campus, getting a job. There are a myriad of college student type employment opportunities in and around KSU. I would venture to say that for every job you could/would get in and around GSU, there are 10 near KSU. And growing....The suburbs have opportunities. Downtown??? Not so much or as many.
No, there are just as many possibilities, possibly more at GSU. Plus the train broadens that as it can easily reach Midtown, Lenox, Perimeter, etc. And even Cumberland is well served by bus from Midtown.

Quote:
Hopefully WITHOUT bringing a car to school....didn't say you didn't have one or could not get one....this, you would need and highly advised. Now, to be sure, you don't need a mack daddy car, just sensible transportation. And here's a cool thing. At KSU it will probably be there, in tact, in the morning!!! What a concept!!! It's college, get a car, enjoy the safety and comfort of KSU and avoid the hassles of downtown.

Hey, with a car, if you are feeling edgy you can always go down there. Good luck with that but, at least you will know you will be LEAVING when the party is over....
Possibly. Having a car in downtown is a hassle and more expensive. But I would say that while parking AT KSU my car was broken into...twice! Never happened to me in downtown so far.

Quote:
KSU vs. GSU??? KSU for YOUR needs and concerns, hands down. GSU is a great university and an excellent curriculum. But, then again, KSU is no slouch either. As far as the football team, well, KSU has one coming in next year/2012. So, my guess is that that KSU will be much, much larger over time than GSU with all the accoutriments therein. I believe it already has 25,000 plus students (graduate and underclassmen)....3rd largest enrollment in the state....and growing....the dorms are nice, SAFE, as is hte parking deck and for the most part, you can walk to class.....

KSU, hands down....
KSU's enrollment is about 23,400 and are technically #4 in enrollment as Georgia Perimeter has 25,000. At this point, it looks as if GSU is still in an upward trajectory, but yes, KSU's future looks bright; however, a rising Georgia Gwinnett might bite into KSU's market as well.

But for safety, I'd say KSU and its undergraduate programs should be fine. Maybe go to GSU for grad school.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,013 times
Word of mouth is that KSU is aiming for 33,000 students by 2016. (Yikes!)

I just wanted to add that while GSU is more heavily into research than KSU, it's not as if KSU is without research. There are growing undergrad research programs at KSU, and profs do have to stay current on research. But they typically don't publish as much as the profs at GSU.

KSU is safer, but it's tougher to be in Kennesaw without a car than it is in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta