Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,310 times

Advertisements

Can someone, anyone please explain why is it that an employer can request a two week notice when you are leaving for a new job, but when they want to terminate you they can do it within 24 hours, this happened to someone that my daughter know, i think it is a one sided situation, wrong has become right and right has very well because wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Because the employer has the cash. It's as unfair but as simple as that. Further, the employer generally needs the employee to complete a project and assist with transitioning work to a replacement employee.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:40 PM

439 posts, read 852,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmalry View Post
Can someone, anyone please explain why is it that an employer can request a two week notice when you are leaving for a new job, but when they want to terminate you they can do it within 24 hours, this happened to someone that my daughter know, i think it is a one sided situation, wrong has become right and right has very well because wrong.

The 2 week prior notice has been in effect for eons. It means it is up to the employee to move on for bigger and better things and career path and there are no hard feelings. A resignation is for all effects and purposes voluntary hence you give the employer the courtesy of 2 weeks so that they can procure a replacement in a timely manner.

However, if the employer terminates there could be a myriad of reasons why and the fastest they get rid of an unwanted, unproductive and mediocre employee is as fast as possible. That is the american way. It is interesting to me however, that someone would even post about this. Again, I see it as a one sided mentality of a segment of people who are not used to working in a professional, corporate environment, typical of Georgia.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Security is often an issue as well. A bitter employee that continues to have access to company files, computers, etc can be a dangerous matter.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Almost all employment in the US is "at will" and while an employer can request that you give notice, there is no legal obligation to do so. In the same way, while it is customary for an employer to give an employee pay in lieu of notice or severance pay, there is no obligation to do so. Many times, especially in sales or when sensitive information is at risk, the employer wants that employee gone immediately.

It boils down to accepted custom versus requirement.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Again, I see it as a one sided mentality of a segment of people who are not used to working in a professional, corporate environment, typical of Georgia.
As you have proven countless times in many threads, you are really not qualified to speak on anything realted to Georgia. Your opinion is simply NOT the reality most of us live here.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM

439 posts, read 852,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
As you have proven countless times in many threads, you are really not qualified to speak on anything realted to Georgia. Your opinion is simply NOT the reality most of us live here.
What reality? The gay reality? The segment of the population that is segregated to their own bars, clubs, neighborhoods, and cannot relate to everyone else because their relationships do not matter? You do not insult me if you tried. If ANYONE is not qualified for anything is you because your lifestyle does not match with the reality of the demographics here: families, children and responsibility for a family. You are just protected in this forum because you are part of the 'Atlanta let us exagerate parade'. There is more people against your hyperbolic rants than you think. They just do not waste their time entertaining you. You have been debunked many of times. I am from now on not entertaining you either. You just want to be the center of attention, you're like a spoiled child who finds solace in bullying, and for every insult you think you give out your little friends here give you 'cool' points so you can be looked as reputable and respectable. The most incredulous comments get thumbs up from you because they are only pro-Atlanta. Anyone who speaks against it out of a sudden is out of touch with reality. Guess what, most of the people who are IN TOUCH with the reality of this city do not have the time to post here. They DO NOT want to post here because it does not matter. YOUR WORLD is not the reality of Americans at large period. What are you going to do now? Cry to the moderator?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,021 times
Quote:
What reality? The gay reality? The segment of the population that is segregated to their own bars, clubs, neighborhoods, and cannot relate to everyone else because their relationships do not matter?
I honestly can't tell what point you're trying to get across. Are you saying it's a good thing that gays are "segregated" and that you like it that way, or are you pointing out how terrible it is that gays are being segregated and treated as if their relationships don't matter?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Cna someone kindly translate these posts for me? I ran them through babblefish and that didn't help.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:43 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
Quote:
What reality? The gay reality? The segment of the population that is segregated to their own bars, clubs, neighborhoods, and cannot relate to everyone else because their relationships do not matter? You do not insult me if you tried. If ANYONE is not qualified for anything is you because your lifestyle does not match with the reality of the demographics here: families, children and responsibility for a family. You are just protected in this forum because you are part of the 'Atlanta let us exagerate parade'. There is more people against your hyperbolic rants than you think. They just do not waste their time entertaining you. You have been debunked many of times. I am from now on not entertaining you either. You just want to be the center of attention, you're like a spoiled child who finds solace in bullying, and for every insult you think you give out your little friends here give you 'cool' points so you can be looked as reputable and respectable. The most incredulous comments get thumbs up from you because they are only pro-Atlanta. Anyone who speaks against it out of a sudden is out of touch with reality. Guess what, most of the people who are IN TOUCH with the reality of this city do not have the time to post here. They DO NOT want to post here because it does not matter. YOUR WORLD is not the reality of Americans at large period. What are you going to do now? Cry to the moderator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Cna someone kindly translate these posts for me? I ran them through babblefish and that didn't help.
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta