Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 AM

103 posts, read 327,696 times

Advertisements

This question comes up a lot here on the boards and this post may come out of some aggravation, but I looking got purchase a home, but the issues that I am having is making a decision of where to live. I currently work in Kennesaw for a major bank and have been there for 3 years. I live in the Smyrna Vinnings area which is about 30 to 35 minutes from my job. I love the area and I love the schools and just the quality of life. My issue is that I make just over 30k a year and as a single mother of 2 that is not a lot, but I make it work.
As this is a buyer’s market and the fact that I have been apartment dwelling since 2008 I am looking for a home. I am working with NACA and some outside agents to see who is going to work in my best interest, and I am looking to spend no more than 100k on a home as that is more in my budget and I would rather live below than above my means. My issue is where to live.
My youngest is 11 and going to middle school…my oldest is 20 and is just getting his permit so I wanted to move somewhere with some kind of public transit(as scarce as it may be). I love Cobb County, but for what I want to spend the places that are avail like Austell, Mableton and some areas in Marietta I am hearing not so great things about the areas and the schools.
Now I know that it can be said that I need to make more money or better credit and I totally understand. What I need to know is where can I get the deals and give my family a better quality of life and give myself my biggest goal of home ownership.
I thank you in advance for your opinions. They are all appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
How big of a place do you need. Are you looking for a 3 bedroom?

I think it is possible to find something for a $100,000 in Smyrna especially foreclosures. You may need to accept a property that does not have upgraded kitchens or baths. There are also still properties around that are three bedrooms and 1 bath that might go for that price range.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,741 times
I think your money would go a ways longer if you moved to Kennesaw or Acworth, because they're further from Atlanta and subsequently cheaper than cities located closer in. I would avoid Mableton and Austell because of the schools. If you're not wanting some sort of fixer upper, Smyrna is not going to offer vast options in that price range. I share in your love for Smyrna and understand why you want to stay there. I don't know if you need/want to be closer to the city of Atlanta for anything but moving further north gets you a nicer, bigger home for the money, and you still get decent schools. Added bonus is that you'd be closer to work too.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM

876 posts, read 2,279,224 times
Assuming you know your credit is strong and you have a few thousand dollars saved up, I would talk to a mortgage lender first to get pre-qualified. The lender should know some special incentives there are for a first time buyer. Once you know what you can buy, then find an real estate agent who knows the area you are interested in. Buying a house you want may take quite a while, too, as buying a foreclosure is not easy when you are borrowing money. Buying further out is most likely too as properties are cheaper out towards Kennesaw than they are closer in Marietta. You can easily research public school quality online, but that will definitely influences prices you see. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I think your money would go a ways longer if you moved to Kennesaw or Acworth, because they're further from Atlanta and subsequently cheaper than cities located closer in. I would avoid Mableton and Austell because of the schools. If you're not wanting some sort of fixer upper, Smyrna is not going to offer vast options in that price range. I share in your love for Smyrna and understand why you want to stay there. I don't know if you need/want to be closer to the city of Atlanta for anything but moving further north gets you a nicer, bigger home for the money, and you still get decent schools. Added bonus is that you'd be closer to work too.
Agreed, I cannot recommend to anyone to drive 30 minutes+ one way to work with gas prices where they are and continuing to rise as well as the loss of valuable time stuck in a car (unless one finds driving a car relaxing). Also if this mother could be closer to the school, they can volunteer and be more interactive with the school instead of rushing from work to pick the kid up etc etc.

Quite frankly I still find prices highly inflated and the market continues to show builders are not building and lenders and not lending and people are not buying. Consumer confidence is in the pits.

If you can find a small home in the Smyrna area in that range go for it, I also noticed they have some flats in the 150k range by the Village. Just be prepared to maybe have to fix it up as well as the additional time it takes to care for a home compared to an apt.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
There is nothing wrong with renting - whether by choice, or by need.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Some parts of Northern Mableton are zoned for Smyrna schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta