Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 31,432 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a reaserch project on the school Clark Atlanta and I plan on going there in the near future,so i need some help figuring out if that school is the best place for me to go so any help is very useful. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Please note there is a school info thread at the top of the forum. If info on the school isn't already in there, you can add a question and folks will most likely answer. Link: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

P.S... there is not a need for so many "?????????????" in your subject line. That is the same as typing in all CAPS (yelling) and some consider it rude.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 PM

135 posts, read 785,829 times
Universities can be put under that thread as well?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
This isn't really a good forum to ask that type of question because many aren't too informated on this subject but as a Clark Atlanta University graduate I can tell you that the University offers excellent programs in Business & Mass Communications, Engineering dual degree with GA Tech & a host of other programs on the undergraduate & graduate level. I attended CAU from 1998-2002 and graduated with honors as a scholarship-student from California.

Now of course you have to come here focused because there are tons of distractions in the Atlanta University Center New Georgia Encyclopedia: Atlanta University Center since it's located smack dab in the middle of Atlanta but like most places of higher education if you focus and hunker down and remember what your purpose for being here and you will succeed. Alot of time students would lose focus on why they were there because most students who attend school there are not from GA and it was their first time away from home. Also most of the students come from middle-to upper class backrounds and majority white high-school/junior high education so for the first time these students are learning around a predominately Black academic-society were everybody is trying to do well and everyone around you is striving for perfection & it's ok to just be yourself without trying to "act white" or "act uppity", you can finally be yourself.

But you wouldn't know this from popular Hip-Hop culture. This is the Black culture that educated/respectable Blacks have always cherished, not the 5 o'clock news variety and music videos that most people around the world get to see. But I digress...

Let me state that being among your own in a such a great academic environment is very humbling & works out well for the over 10,000 students & faculty at Spelman, Morehouse, Clark Atlanta University & ITC. It's the largest consortium of HBCU's in the world, all of the top tier companies & grad & law schools recruit students from those campuses.

However It doesn't come at a cheap price tag since they are private institutions but the academic, social and networking experience I had prepared me well for the life connections that you need in this world.

Also I was accepted to The University of Southern California on a full-academic scholarship for graduate school after my undergraduate career. Many students go on to the top grad/med/law school programs in the world or enter corporate America or the work force. The atmosphere and camaraderie among the students is excellent and the AUC draws students from all 50 states and all over the world. Of course I could've stayed in California and attended a number of Universities on a full-ride but they couldn't offer the overall experience that the AUC offers.

Send me a Private Message and I can talk to you personally about my experience and refer you to a few admissions counselors who can talk to you.

Clark Atlanta University
Clark Atlanta University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Atlanta University Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 04-10-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 AM

162 posts, read 683,548 times
I took my children to visit the entire AU center campus and they thought Clark Atlanta was a little too wild for them. They did like Spellman and Morehouse. I believe Clark may have a more "party" reputation.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 29,581 times
Default In response to Love Cobb

I am a graduate of clark atanta university, and I highly resent the "party" reputation comment. If it weren't for CAU, I WOULD HAVE NEVER ended up on wall street!!! Clark Atlanta is the center of the AUC, and all the other students(from atlanta campuses) end up on our campus, because james p. brawley dr. is recognized as the social grounds. So whatever your children saw, I am sure there were more Morehouse and Spelman students there than Clark Atlanta students. If we party so much, we wouldn't be a high producer of business administration degrees as well as mass media communication degrees.Our graduates are everywhere, we just don't shout it out to the world like spelman or morehouse. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 16,479 times
I would like to know more about the difference in Atlanta from my home city Los Angeles. I was recently accepted to Clark and 8 more colleges in California; However, I would like to know more about the experience and professors. My dream is to attend a HBC and this is quite an opportunity. I am extremely dependent on my mom and basically never been away from home, so would this affect me in any way. Feedback please.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 14,607 times
Hey i have a ?. I heard that clark atlanta is good school but by it being in atl there are many distractions. I have a gf who is leavn from here..baltimore..to go down there and im wondering if its worth it. She always dreamed of going to atl but im wondering is it for her education or for the parties and that atl lifestyle. Is she going to be distracted from the parties and the dudes that will be up in her face? If any responds i would like to know, honestly. Thx!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner20 View Post
Hey i have a ?. I heard that clark atlanta is good school but by it being in atl there are many distractions. I have a gf who is leavn from here..baltimore..to go down there and im wondering if its worth it. She always dreamed of going to atl but im wondering is it for her education or for the parties and that atl lifestyle. Is she going to be distracted from the parties and the dudes that will be up in her face? If any responds i would like to know, honestly. Thx!
It really depends on the type of person she is. If she is studious, but likes to have fun on the weekend, then that is what college is all about.

If not, then there are million ways for her to get off track. But given that she is coming from Baltimore, she probably won't be dazzled by big city life to the point of it causing trouble like someone from the country or some small city.

Besides, unless she has loads of cash to spend going to the big clubs, concerts, parties, etc off campus more than every once and a while is not really an option. The AUC does have a lot of great activities that are well balanced staying focused on your education.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
All depends on her and how she conducted her lifestlye back in Baltimore...maybe she can answer your question more thoroughly since she's the one going to school down here? It's easy to get caught up in the lifestyle but the smart ones know how to balance both academia and their social life. All depends on her my man...She's coming down here for a new experience and If she has her head on straight and is focused she will thrive. Simple as that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: