Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM

37 posts, read 112,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I know a lot of kids who start using drugs at an early age (4th grade for someone who was close to me).
Kids in upscale areas usually have more disposable income given to them, and there is a lot to steal around the house including cash from purses, wallets that many parents never notice.

The parents themselves are often to busy to notice, or care about educating themselves and paying attention to signs of drug use. And then, the large amounts of people who think that things like that don't happen in their area.

im sorry but how in sam hell can someone start using drugs in 4th grade and their parents NOT know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZollman View Post
Well in 2006,2007 everyone in Alpharetta was doing oxycontin. They changed the formula so that it could not be abused. That happened about a year and a half ago. Right when oxys left, heroin took over. From my experience it usually starts at 18+. There are a few sellers up here but for the most part its downtown, west atlanta, bluff area. But I know at least 30 people a day who go down to atl everyday to get it. And these people are not your average druggie. Clean cut, in college, raised well. Addiction goes from Bankhead to Buckhead. It effects anyone. In the article, those were just 3 people in a month....Its been alot more in the past year or so. I personally have given CPR or taking someone to the hospital for overdosing at least 15 times.

But I have seen a senior in highschool do it. However, I do not hang out with the younger people. So it could be younger. But what I can tell you, a huge percentage of highschoolers are doing roxicontin(roxys) which is pure oxycodone. That was big when I was in highschool, and I know it still is because my friends little brother can get it from anyone at school. So for highschool, prescription meds are everywhere. What they dont realize is thats how I started. Start doing more and more, and cant get that high, so you have to go to something stronger. Ive even heard of middle schoolers in Alpharetta doing roxys. Thats one reason why I contacted the ajc about my friends who died. Everyone started out small with lortabs, and died doing heroin.
What are 18+ year olds doing in Alpharetta (ie. why are they not out on their own doing stuff -- college, labor, ...? Do you see any effect due to the economy with people not able to pursue things that would be considered worth their while? So they do these diversionary things?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Well in 2006,2007 everyone in Alpharetta was doing oxycontin. They changed the formula so that it could not be abused. That happened about a year and a half ago. Right when oxys left, heroin took over. From my experience it usually starts at 18+. There are a few sellers up here but for the most part its downtown, west atlanta, bluff area. But I know at least 30 people a day who go down to atl everyday to get it. And these people are not your average druggie. Clean cut, in college, raised well. Addiction goes from Bankhead to Buckhead. It effects anyone. In the article, those were just 3 people in a month....Its been alot more in the past year or so. I personally have given CPR or taking someone to the hospital for overdosing at least 15 times.

But I have seen a senior in highschool do it. However, I do not hang out with the younger people. So it could be younger. But what I can tell you, a huge percentage of highschoolers are doing roxicontin(roxys) which is pure oxycodone. That was big when I was in highschool, and I know it still is because my friends little brother can get it from anyone at school. So for highschool, prescription meds are everywhere. What they dont realize is thats how I started. Start doing more and more, and cant get that high, so you have to go to something stronger. Ive even heard of middle schoolers in Alpharetta doing roxys. Thats one reason why I contacted the ajc about my friends who died. Everyone started out small with lortabs, and died doing heroin.
I am 23 and grew up in the northern suburbs. I understand what you are going through. I was friends with Kennon Jernigan, a Norcross grad who died of heroin. That being said, while I knew some people who did OCs, it is not as widespread as you make it out to be. Most people are smart enough not to F with that stuff. I myself have tried a lot of drugs, but OCs is where I draw the line. The whole "addiction can happen to anyone" is nothing but a sorry excuse. Addiction happens to the people arrogant enough to try OCs or heroin in the first place.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Default Where there's money, there's opportunity?

Drugs in upscale suburbs is nothing new. They didn't just arrive. Anyone living in an area that has money will eventually see illegal "products" arrive. The cash is too alluring to some, the products to tempting to others thus creating a market. There are kids in all suburbs doing drugs. Remember the TV special about Conyers a few years back??? Drugs and the financial opportunities they present are always going to go hand in hand.

No, I do not condone them and no, I'm not making light of a bad situation. Parents can't be around 24X7 but, I distinctly remember when I was young in the 70's, Acid, Pot, Speed, Depressants, and Cocaine were "all the rage". And I'm very glad to report I was able to DODGE the temptations of others. Again, this is not new. What is new is the tolerance. In my time, parents hit their kids when they act as some do today and you know what, we had a fraction of the issues as we have today. Turns out, schools smacked the shiite out of you too when you acted like a little jerk. Perhaps "tough love" does have it's place.

Rather than coddling to it, perhaps we ought to deal with it....harshly? For God's sake, if you got caught with so much as a seed back then you were bounced out of school.....permanently. No shiite my friend. It simply wasn't tolerated and yet, many a kid did their level best to burn their lung sillia out with that harsh, seedy, mexican by-product.....go figure.....

The problem is not new. It merely continues and once in awhile, gets a little press coverage. No worries, the cameras are dimming and those who partake in these little diversions will be back at it, hardcore, inside a week if they stopped at all. Addictions are powerful. No doubt about it. Look at AA and other groups to prove that point. Heroin is particularly nasty. The laws for those who deal in hard drugs is not lenient but, again, that cash is too tempting to pass up I suppose....

Treatment is great, counseling is great but, perhaps harsher punishment at home AND at school might help? Kick a kid out permanently and FORCE The parent to become a parent once and for all. Forget the BMW and 2 vacations and spend some time with your kids and for god's sake, quit insulating them from all you think is bad and talk directly about it. Educate them on the REAL legal repercussions they may face should they pursue such illegal activities. Right up there with sex education.

Alpahretta's Police Department either offers or, can hook you up with, a "Scared Straight" program. Frankly, I think it should be standard school curriculum along with typing. Skills you can really use. Almost a good idea.....sigh......

Can't turn our backs. It's all around us. Sorry to hear more kids lost their lives to something as meaningless and cruel as heroin. Tragic to see anyone lose a child to anything. Parents should not have to bury their kids. To lose them to this? Unbearable.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM

21 posts, read 48,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I am 23 and grew up in the northern suburbs. I understand what you are going through. I was friends with Kennon Jernigan, a Norcross grad who died of heroin. That being said, while I knew some people who did OCs, it is not as widespread as you make it out to be. Most people are smart enough not to F with that stuff. I myself have tried a lot of drugs, but OCs is where I draw the line. The whole "addiction can happen to anyone" is nothing but a sorry excuse. Addiction happens to the people arrogant enough to try OCs or heroin in the first place.
Well I know a good amount of people who have been injured, and were prescribed roxys(roxycontin)....almost same as OCs. Once there injury was healed, they were full blown addicts. So it can happen to anyone.

Also, for me, it started out with taking just lortabs...then your tolerance starts building and it starts going down hill.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM

73 posts, read 154,809 times
Reminds me of Plano, Texas.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well I know a good amount of people who have been injured, and were prescribed roxys(roxycontin)....almost same as OCs. Once there injury was healed, they were full blown addicts. So it can happen to anyone.
Why would their injury healing make them full-blown addicts? Do you know how many people are prescribed these things? It's not the meds to blame, it's the people.
Quote:
Also, for me, it started out with taking just lortabs...then your tolerance starts building and it starts going down hill.
I got prescribed Lortabs when I got my wisdom teeth out. However, I just took Advil and saved the Lortabs so I could use them recreationally. But after they were gone and I had my fun, I didn't try to score some more. It ended there. Why were you different?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM

I know a good number people who got prescribed roxys from accidents. its a strong painkiler. same as OC almost You cant just stop taking them. you willl withdrawl and want more. they need to lower the dosage slowly. but doctors dont do that. Well i was taking lortabs to get high....and toook for over a year in 9th grade...and they dont work...you probably were not taking high enough dosage...i was eating 12-15....but i got sick from the APAP(which is tyanaol) otherwise i would take more.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Why would their injury healing make them full-blown addicts? Do you know how many people are prescribed these things? It's not the meds to blame, it's the people.

I got prescribed Lortabs when I got my wisdom teeth out. However, I just took Advil and saved the Lortabs so I could use them recreationally. But after they were gone and I had my fun, I didn't try to score some more. It ended there. Why were you different?
It is not the people. Its the prescriptonns that alter the chemicals in your brain. Yo get prescribed, start taking them and feel good. They are releasing dopamine in your brain. You start to get used to it, enjoy it, and then it starts taking more to get that high. I have seen pain addiction happen to people who have never smoked weed, never thought of doing drugs.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I know a good number people who got prescribed roxys from accidents. its a strong painkiler. same as OC almost You cant just stop taking them. you willl withdrawl and want more. they need to lower the dosage slowly. but doctors dont do that. Well i was taking lortabs to get high....and toook for over a year in 9th grade...and they dont work...you probably were not taking high enough dosage...i was eating 12-15....but i got sick from the APAP(which is tyanaol) otherwise i would take more.
Chris, no offense, but it really sounds like you had problems from the get-go. If you were taking pills in 9th grade, then clearly you were in another league than most everybody. I didn't smoke weed until 10th grade and didn't try pills until college. Of course, I went to private school, so it was not as fast. But pills in 9th grade? It's not surprising you ended up where you did. When did you first try weed?

Quote:
It is not the people. Its the prescriptonns that alter the chemicals in your brain. Yo get prescribed, start taking them and feel good. They are releasing dopamine in your brain. You start to get used to it, enjoy it, and then it starts taking more to get that high. I have seen pain addiction happen to people who have never smoked weed, never thought of doing drugs.
No, it's the people that decided to alter the chemicals in their brain by taking the drugs. Lots of drugs release dopamine, including weed and coke. You have to be responsible when it comes to recreational use of drugs.

Even if the painkillers are to blame, how do you make the jump to heroin? What type of thought process is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta