Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM

314 posts, read 639,546 times

Advertisements

I-Team: State Ethics Commission Shake-Up (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/iteam/i-team-state-ethics-commission-shake-up-20110617-es - broken link)

Quote:
ATLANTA, Ga. - A major shake-up is underway at the state’s ethics commission. The top two staffers are both on their way out after the commission voted to slash one staffer's salary and eliminate the other staffer's position.

But there is more. The budget decision was made while those two staffers were conducting an investigation of Governor Nathan Deal's campaign-- an investigation that the FBI offered to help with.
Seriously y'all, I was hoping to come back to Georgia once my current work assignment end, but from where I'm sitting it's looking more and more like some kind of dysfunctional corrupt third world country. What the hell is going on!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
I-Team: State Ethics Commission Shake-Up (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/iteam/i-team-state-ethics-commission-shake-up-20110617-es - broken link)

Seriously y'all, I was hoping to come back to Georgia once my current work assignment end, but from where I'm sitting it's looking more and more like some kind of dysfunctional corrupt third world country. What the hell is going on!?!?
In a word, Nathan Deal is a crook. Hopefully, he won't complete his first term.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
In a word, Nathan Deal is a crook. Hopefully, he won't complete his first term.

I don't see what's going to stop him when anyone who investigates him just gets fired. It's f**king ridiculous.... this is the kind of stuff that the South was supposed to have outgrown decades ago. It's downright scary that these kinds of things can happen and nobody can or will do anything about it.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
I don't see what's going to stop him when anyone who investigates him just gets fired. It's f**king ridiculous.... this is the kind of stuff that the South was supposed to have outgrown decades ago. It's downright scary that these kinds of things can happen and nobody can or will do anything about it.
The Feds are onto him. Remember, he resigned from Congress at Midnight right before the ethics hearings were due to start.

He's also really ticked off Fox 5. They aren't going to let this go. Neither is Common Cause.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
spotch wrote:
Quote:
Shocker: One party rule in Georgia leads to total abandonment of ethics
Well, this is very true if you know a lot about Georgia History and voting in elections, GA has some of the most strict laws regarding third party access. In the old days, in the 1940s to be specific, Democrat segregationist-era GA lawmakers passed very strict ballot access measures in order to keep the "carpetbagging" Republicans out of the general elections mostly at the local level. But party preferences in Georgia changed over the decades and the Republicans eventually got on the ballot despite the high obstacles. Nowadays even, the activity of any Georgia politicians of either major party is about the same in terms of "good ol' boy" corruption, hence, lack of "ethics."

This recent article from the Fox I-Team basically alleges what happened with Nathan Deal getting his daughter-in-law's company a "deal (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/iteam/iteam-deal-campaign-funds-part-2-20110609-es?obref=obinsite - broken link)" by being paid directly from campaign funds.

Last edited by SW30303; 06-19-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Nowadays even, the activity of any Georgia politicians of either major party is about the same in terms of "good ol' boy" corruption, hence, lack of "ethics."
I don't buy that... that's a cop-out that makes it to easy to let corruption off the hook.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
Quote:
I don't buy that... that's a cop-out that makes it to easy to let corruption off the hook.
Don't buy what? Only Republicans "get off the hook?" Explain what you mean, I would like to know.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Well you also got to remember that Georgia used have a crooked voting system called the "county unit" system. I guess one could say that it was the hillbilly version of the U.S. electoral college system.

New Georgia Encyclopedia: County Unit System

But the more meanspirited effects of this system was that conservative politicians in Georgia used it to maintain power in rural Georgia and prevent any meaningful effort to get rid of de jure race segregation. So it's simply par for the course for Georgia's state political leadership to govern in this manner.

But as to the Guvna Deal situation with the essential nullification of the state ethics commission?

Boy o-boy...

All I can say is, where are the resident city-data forum atlanta's conservatives when you need them, eh? They were all poo-pooing Barnes in 2010. What do they have to say now about their new governor?

Probably nothing. Just as expected. Hypocrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
spotch wrote: Well, this is very true if you know a lot about Georgia History and voting in elections, GA has some of the most strict laws regarding third party access. In the old days, in the 1940s to be specific, Democrat segregationist-era GA lawmakers passed very strict ballot access measures in order to keep the "carpetbagging" Republicans out of the general elections mostly at the local level. But party preferences in Georgia changed over the decades and the Republicans eventually got on the ballot despite the high obstacles. Nowadays even, the activity of any Georgia politicians of either major party is about the same in terms of "good ol' boy" corruption, hence, lack of "ethics."

This recent article from the Fox I-Team basically alleges what happened with Nathan Deal getting his daughter-in-law's company a "deal (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/iteam/iteam-deal-campaign-funds-part-2-20110609-es?obref=obinsite - broken link)" by being paid directly from campaign funds.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Don't buy what? Only Republicans "get off the hook?" Explain what you mean, I would like to know.

I've seen the "well everyone is corrupt so what are you going to do about it *shrug* " thing used far too often to excuse or justify bad actions. If everyone does it then it's not a big deal, and there's really not anything you can do about it anyway, and I disagree with both of those.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 PM

197 posts, read 515,874 times
Quote:

Well, if this type of stuff is going to prevent you from moving somewhere then you're going to have a hell of a time finding somewhere to live in this country. If you want to see real hardcore corruption try living in New Jersey or Illinois. I've lived in both and corruption in Georgia is mild compared to those two states.

And yes, the entire U.S. is becoming third world. Our entire political system is corrupt and we are now buried under more debt that any country has ever held before. The corruption and stifling debt are what make a country third world. I spend a lot of time in several third world countries due to my job and I'm sorry to say that a lot of the problems that cause these countries to be third world are now very prevalent in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: