Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,629 times

Advertisements

First, I'll answer that checklist that was posted:

1. Budget--Probably max out around $2,000 a month. I'm willing to pay entire lease up front though.
2. Condo-high rise
3. Mostly work from home--not a problem
4. No children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two= I'll go with a mix?
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not, but would be a plus.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood= It probably won't bother me, whatever it is..but for reference sake: I'm 24. Male. Single. Straight. Not homophobic.

Ok so I've been living in Buckhead for a year+...and really getting sick of it. It just got old really fast--it's just way too "college". Anyways, I'm looking to lease a condo in midtown and hoping I can get a little help on where I can go to find some listings/advice on buildings in the area. I'm told that while rules exist that regulate what percentage of condos are allowed to be leased these rules are rarely followed, and virtually never regulated. However, I'm wondering if such "rules" will make it much more difficult to find listings on condos available for rent--and if so, what can I do to find/contact/and make an offer to an owner of a condo looking to rent? I'm willing to pay the entire amount up front on the life of the lease.

As far as the building--I love 1010, Luxe, Metropolis, Spire...but I wanted to throw this out there and see what came back--I'm a 24 single male heterosexual. I have absolutely no problem with the strong homosexual population that resides in Midtown, and it wouldn't bother me at all to live by, next to, or with a homosexual--before I say this I just wanted to be clear that it's not about being homophobic, or anything of that nature..so basically I visited a condo at Spire that a guy was selling. During the tour he asked me if I was gay--when I told him that I wasn't he said this, and I haven't really gotten it out of my mind since:

"Don't take this the wrong way--I loved living here, and it's great that you're open minded...but I'm not sure why a straight, single guy would want to live here."--so basically my question is this...is the percentage really that overwhelming? Is it just that building? Would I really be that out of place? I mean you can't blame me for wanting to meet some straight people...right?

Last edited by DBoyd87; 09-28-2011 at 01:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 AM

208 posts, read 419,223 times
You don't want to pay entire lease up front. YOu never know the unit could get foreclosed upon and you get booted out or the city charges you $2000 for water one month which does happen.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 AM

368 posts, read 539,494 times
You really can't go wrong with any of the developments you mentioned. 1010 will be the most expensive, Metropolis is probably the cheapest. Luxe will give you better access to Piedmont Park, Spire/Viewpoint/Metropolis give you better access to the restaurants on Ptree street, 1010 is right by the Crescent street bars/clubs, and Plaza is right above Publix.

I agree that there is no reason to pay $2K up front. You'll probably just have to pay a one-month security deposit. You can find a great 1/1 for $1200-$1700 depending on the size and view. $2K will get you a 2/2 in some of those buildings, or a nicer 1/1 on a higher floor. Just depends on what's available.

Some of those condos are indeed very gay. For example, I would estimate Plaza Midtown is at least 50% gay males. Like you said, if you're not homophobic, shouldn't be a problem. Just don't take your grandmother to the pool on a holiday weekend. You know, unless your grandma likes that kind of thing.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,638 times
Wow that guy was completely out of line by saying that to you. I'm a gay guy, and even I take offense to that. If gay-friendly straight dudes want to move into the building, who cares? The more the merrier! Testa has a point though - the numbers work in your favor as far as picking up chicks .
Between Metropolis, Spire, Luxe, and Plaza Midtown, I wouldn't be able to say if one or the other is "gayer." I'm sure whichever one you move in to you'll be fine.

Have you thought about contacting a real estate agent? There are rentals listed in the multiple listing service, and you've got a healthy budget, so that might be the best route for you.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM

85 posts, read 186,985 times
Spire and Metropolis are running you about $1500/mo for a 1/1.

The thing I hated about those buildings is that the bedroom doesn't have a door..just like this 3/4th wall that seperates that "area' from the rest.

I REALLY like the ones over as 1280 west(if you get one that faces East or South) its the same distance from Crecent ave, but its not so deep in the gayborhood, its up north a little more..I hated the south view from the Metropolis...all you see is the Spire and viewpoint..its like looking at tin foil. Doesn't matte where you go down there, its all walkable and very cab-able if your to tanked to walk.

BTW, single 24/m/straight/looking for Midtown Condo as well..I feel your pain bud.

Troll around Craigslist..seems to be the best spot to find rentals.

FWIW, check out the thread I started about this very topic.

Lets Talk Midtown Condos

Old 09-30-2011, 01:05 AM

8 posts, read 14,629 times
Nice work here...all very helpful. I agree jetter...that "no bedroom door" thing really is annoying

Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter2 View Post
Spire and Metropolis are running you about $1500/mo for a 1/1.

The thing I hated about those buildings is that the bedroom doesn't have a door..just like this 3/4th wall that seperates that "area' from the rest.

I REALLY like the ones over as 1280 west(if you get one that faces East or South) its the same distance from Crecent ave, but its not so deep in the gayborhood, its up north a little more..I hated the south view from the Metropolis...all you see is the Spire and viewpoint..its like looking at tin foil. Doesn't matte where you go down there, its all walkable and very cab-able if your to tanked to walk.

BTW, single 24/m/straight/looking for Midtown Condo as well..I feel your pain bud.

Troll around Craigslist..seems to be the best spot to find rentals.

FWIW, check out the thread I started about this very topic.

Lets Talk Midtown Condos
Not all of the units are like that, but you do pay more to have a full wall.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM

85 posts, read 186,985 times
Personally, I found 1280 West to be a great mix. I landed one where they just redid the entire kitchen, bathroom, hardwood floors and carpet as well. I have a SE view so the balcony sees the north end of Midtown buildings, and I have a room with a door. 31st floor, and its less than I would of paid at any of the Big 3 (Spire/Viewpoint/Metropolis).

To each their own, but I really wanted a bedroom and a door..Plaza midtown had a few units like that but they were a bit pricier. I just like having a door..if I have people crashing at my place in the living room I want to shut my bedroom door so I don't have to hear them. I looked at a top floor unit on the 20th floor in the Metropolis and it too didn't have a bedroom door..I will say they have more windows than I got at 1280, but I wasn't impressed with the southbound view of just 2 other buildings.

Different strokes for different folks!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
In addition to not having a door, some units have only 1 bedroom and it ain't got a window. 1010 midtown has many $230k units and the master bedroom is basically a dark interior closet with a half wall. Bad layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta