Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
as you say billions of people use roads, so that billion multiplied by 0.02 is lot of subsidy. By contrast rail carries less passengers and thus subsidy will be much less. By the way the amount of money we spend in iraq or afghanistan for one week was enough to build those NJ-NYC tunnels. but priorities of conservatives are different.
Why revert this to a red/blue argument? This is apolitical and I have framed it as such from the beginning. Trying to weaken or align my point of fiscal responsibility and return on investment to a political ideology just another weak way of trying to avoid the facts.

Of course there is a overall big subsidy for the roads, but it is justified by the usage. That is why you break it down to a similar metric (passenger miles traveled) to compare the two on an even level.

What does road spending have to do with war spending? Try to stay in the real world here so we can have a realistic argument. "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." Dealing with wild what ifs is not constructive because it does move anything forward. And as much as this war is put solely on the conservatives, a lot of responsibility falls to the blues as well. However... this tangent is worthless to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I would be open to exploring it, but after crunching numbers based on Amtrak's efficiency level and operating costs as a point of reference, the ridership numbers would have to be very, very high to even come close to being viable.

Savannah simply isn't a big enough destination for this to work. Again, there is very little benefit added to the rider that would create mass appeal. It would be more expensive, not faster and there are several existing alternatives available. Where rail is successful, it works because it is faster, provides a level of convenience that is unmatched by car or air travel, and is price competitive. I don't see any 3 of these holding true for this route to build a large ridership base. There simply isn't enough traffic between Atlanta and a small city like Savannah.
Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. I don't know. Only way to gain a clearer picture would be to conduct a study.

My thought is that the line should hold off--for now. I'd be more in favor of integrating it into a future national rail network that starts in the Northeast, where population is most dense, and fans its way across other parts of the country. Or make it more regional--start in Atlanta and fan outwards.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm not saying they should, just that a group can do it if they want. If it's their money, not my business. Now if it taxpayer funded, that's a different story.

That's not a bad idea. There's a toll road that stretches across the state of Pennsylvania for instance.
And Ohio, and Indiana.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
I would have no problem with toll roads, provided the road is smooth as glass with adequate capacity. In the northeast, there are tolls all over the place, with some roads meeting that obligation and others not.

Personally, I have no problem paying for something, but I have to receive the value I expect for what I'm paying. What annoys me to no end is paying out the nose and getting nothing of value. What infuriates me beyond belief is paying out the nose, getting no value, and then being told I need to pay more (or that I'm selfish and greedy for not willingly forking over more). Writing my tax check this past weekend comes to mind.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 922 times
Let me see if I can illuminate this discussion. This state hasn't moved forward since Sherman marched to the sea in '64...1864. I rarely drive through Georgia but I imagine they wonder what those metal cigars up in the air are. Do yourselves a favor, give up on any hope of Georgia becoming progressive. And save the hate. I've lived here since '78. I know this town better than y'all do!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesus34 View Post
Let me see if I can illuminate this discussion. This state hasn't moved forward since Sherman marched to the sea in '64...1864. I rarely drive through Georgia but I imagine they wonder what those metal cigars up in the air are. Do yourselves a favor, give up on any hope of Georgia becoming progressive. And save the hate. I've lived here since '78. I know this town better than y'all do!
Metal cigars... Let's see. I think I've seen some of them up close at that big place down south of the city. The aeropot?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
I can trump that. I've been here since '73. Unless you mean 1878?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Metal cigars... Let's see. I think I've seen some of them up close at that big place down south of the city. The aeropot?
I've flown in some. They are called CRJ-700s and -900s. Made sure my next flights were on bigger planes.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Do yourselves a favor, give up on any hope of Georgia becoming progressive.
If by "progressive" you mean wasteful and willing to enact left wing policies that are not well thought out, then count me in for being glad for the lack of "progressiveness" in the state.

There are plenty of so-called "progressive" states, like California, and they are in deep and dire financial doo doo.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If by "progressive" you mean wasteful and willing to enact left wing policies that are not well thought out, then count me in for being glad for the lack of "progressiveness" in the state.

There are plenty of so-called "progressive" states, like California, and they are in deep and dire financial doo doo.
So you rather live 50 years in the past than the future? California already has flying cars and robot workers. What financial doo doo? California has alot of money from all the technology, and a 0% unemployment rate. Apple owns the state, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta