Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 18,491 times

Advertisements

You heard me right. The job I have right now I work with developmentally disabled adults in the Roswell area in a residential setting. I would love to get them out and in nature more, but they enjoy limited activities. One really likes to feed ducks, but I am not familiar with the Roswell area and don't know of any good duck ponds.

Help!

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
I understand your intentions are good but please remember that it is not considered humane to feed wild ducks

Duck Rescue Network

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
It isn't easy to find ducks around here anyway. Along the Chattahoochee riverfront on Azalea Drive there are tons of geese. Please don't feed those nasty things. Roswell Park on Woodstock RD has a large pond. I'm not certain if it attracts ducks.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 18,491 times
Interesting. Thanks for the information about the inhumanity, LoriLove. Why don't you see warnings like that posted more? I grew up feeding ducks in my childhood neighborhood, and just sort of passed it along to the kids I babysat for or came into contact with over the course of my adult life. I feel awful now.

You're right Mattie, duck ponds are hard to come by in this neck of the woods. It seemed that there were more ten years ago. Probably because we killed them all with our synthetic food. Awful, but true.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 AM

40 posts, read 199,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledartgirl View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the information about the inhumanity, LoriLove. Why don't you see warnings like that posted more? I grew up feeding ducks in my childhood neighborhood, and just sort of passed it along to the kids I babysat for or came into contact with over the course of my adult life. I feel awful now.

You're right Mattie, duck ponds are hard to come by in this neck of the woods. It seemed that there were more ten years ago. Probably because we killed them all with our synthetic food. Awful, but true.
there are tons more ducks now then in the past. check out some DNR reports

Old 11-26-2011, 06:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times
You may want to look to see if you can get a discount for the Chattahoochee Nature Center on Azalea, if I remember correctly they have some birds of prey there for viewing. Also, along the river park there are geese/ducks that float along and I see kids throwing bread to them. I also had no idea it was inhumane to feed them.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,270 times
I too was going to recommend the Chattahoochee nature center. My family frequented there when I was younger because I had little sisters. They sell feed for the ducks in the shop.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I think if you feed ducks periodically and feed them the recommended foods, they are fine.

I used to go to Lenox Park and feed the ducks all the time.

Here's something that really amazed me, and I've never seen before:

I would throw bread crumbs to the ducks from a little bridge that went over the lake. But the ducks would ignore the bread crumbs and fish would come up to get them. Once that happened, the ducks would eat the fish! I didn't even know ducks ate fish, and I really had no idea they would be fast enough to catch them. Apparently, they can and do because I saw it with my own eyes.

The ducks only appeared to do this in the spring. Other times of year, they would eat what was thrown to them. Around March and April, they would use the food to act as bait for the fish and eat them. It was the strangest thing. I suppose maybe during mating season they need more protein, or something.

Anyway, in metro Atlanta you stand a good chance of finding ducks anywhere there is a decent sized lake (unless the geese have bullied them all away).

I would say to use common sense. If you buy food that is appropriate for the ducks and the developmentally challenged adults really enjoy it and it helps them, I don't see the harm in taking them periodically. I have a lake in my neighborhood and I like to feed the ducks sometimes....but never the geese. When they poop in your yard, it's gross!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
How about Martin's Landing?

Martin's Landing

Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 PM

262 posts, read 789,784 times
I recently visited Roswell Area Park close to Canton Street, Roswell. They had posted signs at their little lake asking people not to feed ducks, spelling out the reason (too much dependence on our food, change in migratory habits, too much poop, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta