Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Atlanta, I would sometimes tell my co-workers how the West End was one of the true gems of the city, and by far one of my favorite intown districts/neighborhoods. They thought something was wrong with me. A few of them were OTP anyway, so c'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I teach at the AUC.

It is very, very sad some people make everything about race. What did this have to do with race? Sad some people are so narrow in their mindset they can't post without trying to drop the race card for some sort of advantage. Very sad.

I was at the Wells Fargo, making a deposit, not picking up drugs or hookers, at the corner of Abernathy and Lowery on Monday and there was a guy selling drugs in the parking lot. All too common for this area. Is that West End enough for you? Lowery between RDA and MLK is crawling with hookers, bums and degenerates. This is true on both sides of I-20.

As a side note, 2 miles? Check again. Way off. Do you really know that area or are you just really bad at estimating distance? I'd guess more like 0.75 miles.

You clearly said you saw prostitutes on RDA and Lowery, when nothing could be further from the truth.The security at the bank wont even let the FOI guys sell bean pies at that corner anymore, what makes you think they will tolerate a drug dealer literally in the parking lot selling work? Funny thing is I have been going to St Anthony's since I was a baby, went to the school K-3rd, and I have been banking at that same bank since I was 18, back when it was a Wachovia and I have never seen a guy selling drugs or hookers in that parking lot EVER. And as slow as that bank is, I've spent hella time waiting in line for the ATM in the front or the drive up window. Plenty of time to see drug dealing or hookers going on right there, but yet I've never seen it. You're telling fables, I'm from the westside, I know where the hookers are, I know where the drug spots are. And that area isn't one of them. If you would have said you saw some drug dealing on Lowery & Washington I would believe you, if you said you saw some hookers on McDaniel & Garibaldi I would believe you. But RDA and Lowery? Nope try again buddy. And .75 miles from the hooker stroll on Lowery to RDA and Lowery? That's a mile and some change at least, and in in the middle of Atlanta that much distance means a heck of a lot. Those are two totally different neighborhoods. That part of Lowery you were on is not the West End.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
You clearly said you saw prostitutes on RDA and Lowery No. I was asked what streets I see these things on and I mentioned that I drive down Abernathy and Lowery. Read it again son., when nothing could be further from the truth.The security at the bank wont even let the FOI guys sell bean pies at that corner anymore, what makes you think they will tolerate a drug dealer literally in the parking lot selling work? Ok. Tell me what I saw as I parked and walked into the bank. Because you didn't see it, it didn't happen? Someone is a little too in love with this area and it seems to be clouding their judgement. Funny thing is I have been going to St Anthony's since I was a baby That is funny?, went to the school K-3rd still not funny, and I have been banking at that same bank since I was 18 waiting on the funny part still, back when it was a Wachovia and I have never seen a guy selling drugs or hookers in that parking lot EVER Where is the punchline?. And as slow as that bank is I agree. This bank is painfully slow. What makes this one so much worse than the one I normally go to? Crazy how slow they are there., I've spent hella time waiting in line for the ATM in the front or the drive up window. Plenty of time to see drug dealing or hookers going on right there, but yet I've never seen it. You're telling fables, I'm from the westside, I know where the hookers are rep yo city?, I know where the drug spots are. And that area isn't one of them. If you would have said you saw some drug dealing on Lowery & Washington I would believe you, if you said you saw some hookers on McDaniel & Garibaldi I would believe you. But RDA and Lowery? Nope try again buddy. And .75 miles from the hooker stroll on Lowery to RDA and Lowery? I just looked it up on google maps. 0.80 miles between the streets you mentioned. You weren't even close.That's a mile and some change at least, and in in the middle of Atlanta that much distance means a heck of a lot. Those are two totally different neighborhoods. That part of Lowery you were on is not the West End. That whole area is a dump and a crime ridden hole. Your defense of "but look it is worse 0.80 miles away and hookers normally stay north of I-20 and the drug dealers aren't normally there" is laughable.
Get some situational awareness and take a good look at that area. Awful.

Comments in bold above.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Get some situational awareness and take a good look at that area. Awful.

Comments in bold above.

You sure about that .80 miles? That's how far Collegetown is from RDA and Lowery. The part of Lowery with the crack whores is in between Fair St and MLK. That's more than a mile buddy. And thats really splitting hairs because it's not much of a difference, but like I said in the middle of a city that could mean a lot. The end of Moores Mill Rd is less than a mile from Defoors Ferry and just over a mile to Hollywood Rd, does that mean people who live in those nice houses over there live in a slum? Either way, that neighborhood around Lowery and Fair St is not the West End anyway, which is my whole point. And situational awareness? I'm pretty street smart buddy. I can tell the difference between someone selling drugs and some dude just walking around with nothing to do, I can look at the direction the crackheads walk when they do their speed walk because they're excited and tell where the dope spot is, also if they are just passing thru walking slow because they've had their hit already. If you really had situational awareness you would be able to see the stark change in street activity the minute you leave the West End in either direction. Take a pick, go west and the minute you hit Donnally Ave where Cascade starts, all hell breaks loose. Go south and the same with Oakland City, Pittsburgh to the east and Ashby to the north. Ray Charles could ride thru and see that the stretch of RDA between Cascade and Murphy Ave is a whole lot better than the rest of it.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 01-11-2012 at 10:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
The distance from RDA to MLK on Lowery St. is 1.15 miles. I'll post a screenshot if it's that controversial. I would also note the roughest part of Lowery is north of MLK.

West End absolutely can't be thrown into the same bucket as Vine City and English Ave.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The distance from RDA to MLK on Lowery St. is 1.15 miles. I'll post a screenshot if it's that controversial. I would also note the roughest part of Lowery is north of MLK.

West End absolutely can't be thrown into the same bucket as Vine City and English Ave.
MLK was not the street discussed in previous posts. We were talking RDA to Fair Street. Google that and tell me who is right?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
You sure about that .80 miles? That's how far Collegetown is from RDA and Lowery. The part of Lowery with the crack whores is in between Fair St and MLK. That's more than a mile buddy. And thats really splitting hairs because it's not much of a difference, but like I said in the middle of a city that could mean a lot. The end of Moores Mill Rd is less than a mile from Defoors Ferry and just over a mile to Hollywood Rd, does that mean people who live in those nice houses over there live in a slum? Either way, that neighborhood around Lowery and Fair St is not the West End anyway, which is my whole point. And situational awareness? I'm pretty street smart buddy. I can tell the difference between someone selling drugs and some dude just walking around with nothing to do, I can look at the direction the crackheads walk when they do their speed walk because they're excited and tell where the dope spot is, also if they are just passing thru walking slow because they've had their hit already. If you really had situational awareness you would be able to see the stark change in street activity the minute you leave the West End in either direction. Take a pick, go west and the minute you hit Donnally Ave where Cascade starts, all hell breaks loose. Go south and the same with Oakland City, Pittsburgh to the east and Ashby to the north. Ray Charles could ride thru and see that the stretch of RDA between Cascade and Murphy Ave is a whole lot better than the rest of it.
So your defense of that area is that "its not that bad because others are worse." Seems like a pretty low standard you are setting for what is acceptable in your community.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Love West End and always have! I used to live there and wanted to buy but there was some sheisty stuff going on there during the time I wanted to buy and I was sick of people thinking I was idiotic enough to fall for their schemes so I went elsewhere.

But if we stay in Atlanta, I am looking to buy property over there.

As for gentrification, I am always confused if that means the area is looking better or if there are white people who live there. Not meaning to me racially focused or not but some people mean some things and some people mean others.

I do feel that progress in West End stagnated just like the whole city IMO has stagnated. But I do feel that the atmosphere in the community now is one of being on the rise. Lots of new families are moving to the area and there are a lot of great ammenities in the neighborhood (2 parks, library, grocery store, Beltline jogging/biking trails, etc.) but not a ton of traffic like other intown locations so it is still quaint and quiet. There is a ton of great housing stock but property values have declined there like in other neighborhoods in the metro and across the country. On the white people gentrification aspect, white people do live and move to West End.

And to gtcorndog, you do know that the neighborhood surrounding the AUC is not West End right....?

The corner you mentioned is not filled with prostitues and drug dealers. Also, how do you even know that you saw a drug deal? Were you buying drugs? Black people handing each other things does not always mean that there is drug dealing going on.

And also what OldSchool said is correct, a mile makes a hell of a difference in a city in regards to neighborhoods. I live in what is considered a much worse neighborhood than West End and it is only 2 miles away (English Avenue/The Bluff). I don't mind living where I live since I am not a scary sort of person and am just not all that frightened of black people plus I have never had any issues living where I live, I know my neighbors, and don't think that black and inner city equals horrible just because.

Also I think all neighborhoods have good and bad aspects but I do love West End because I love the architecture and the park and the library over there. I have relatives who live there as well and my son goes to the Boys and Girls club there so I am a frequent visitor. Also I went to the AUC and lived in West End during my years there, and I liked I could walk to school. I am a lady and never had any problems when I walked or drove to school and crime back then was worst than it is now and I do remember seeing prostitutes when I went over to McDonald's on Lowrey near MLK but like I said above, that is not West End. ETA: I also knew they were prostitutes because they offered themselves to a friend of mine who went across the street to KFC so I don't have to assume that just because a lady is scantily clad in 40 or 50 degree weather if she is a prostitute or not.

Erin

Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Ray Charles could ride thru and see that the stretch of RDA between Cascade and Murphy Ave is a whole lot better than the rest of it.
Too funny!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
...I live in what is considered a much worse neighborhood than West End and it is only 2 miles away (English Avenue/The Bluff). I don't mind living where I live since I am not a scary sort of person and am just not all that frightened of black people plus I have never had any issues living where I live, I know my neighbors, and don't think that black and inner city equals horrible just because...
just out of curiosity, are you black yourself? i'm just wondering if being black makes you feel safer in a neighbourhood like that— i'm not trying to be racist or anything. it just seems like when white people drive through the drug dealers and whatnot automatically see a white face and think you're looking for something.

i have a lot of interest in the english avenue neighbourhood and see a lot of potential in the homes there— many of them are beautiful works of art from the early 1900s, and there are several historical landmarks in the area. the thing is the neighbourhood has gotten so bad that i would be afraid to move in there as a white person, i would be afraid i would stick out and be a more likely target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta