Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,559 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking to move to atlanta soon as I got accepted as transfer into GaTech.
My sister who just graduated from highschool is moving with me too so any inputs on colleges in the area is also appreciated.

We're looking for a 2 bedroom apartment, renting.
Budget is not so limited but I would like to keep it under $1500 if possible.
We live in Miami, Fl, so I don't know how prices compare but I imagine it's cheaper.
We would both be full time students.
No children of course.
We would like to live near the city but not in a crowded place as we both hate traffic.
Access to public transportation is semi important as we would be sharing 1 car and at times, one of us might need to use public transport.

Area must be safe! - This above anything.
We are white/hispanic, so our demographic preference for the neighborhood would be white.

As of the college for my sister. She plans to follow medicine but isnt sure. Looking for public college most likely.

I think I've covered all the basics.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Contact Promove, free apartment finding service. Give them the above info, except the racial preference. If you hate traffic and don't want to live in a diverse neighborhood your screwed, this is Atlanta. I would suggest Dunwoody, its safe, lots of white people eg: watch Straight Outta Dunwoody on YouTube, upscale area, and has a MARTA station near for quick access to the city.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Your post is very odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXSS View Post
Hello,
I'm looking to move to atlanta soon as I got accepted as transfer into GaTech.
If you aren't going to live in the dorms, then most student live:
1. Home park (lots of houses for rent)
2. Centennial place (town homes and condominiums for rent)
3. Howell Mill area (houses, townhomes, and apartments for rent).

Quote:
My sister who just graduated from highschool is moving with me too so any inputs on colleges in the area is also appreciated.
Your sister:
1. Should have already applied to colleges
2. Should base her decision on tuition cost and her major.
Georgia State is the best bet for a generic college which will allow both of you to live close to both campuses.

Quote:
We're looking for a 2 bedroom apartment, renting.
Budget is not so limited but I would like to keep it under $1500 if possible.
We live in Miami, Fl, so I don't know how prices compare but I imagine it's cheaper.
For the most part, Atlanta real estate is certainly cheaper than Miami
Quote:
We would both be full time students.
No children of course.
We would like to live near the city but not in a crowded place as we both hate traffic.
Hahahaha, good luck with that. If you want to completely avoid traffic commuting to GaTech then you will have to live close to campus. That means living in the city.
Quote:
Access to public transportation is semi important as we would be sharing 1 car and at times, one of us might need to use public transport.
Then you should live in Centennial Place. Close to Tech campus and close to the North Avenue MARTA station.

Quote:
Area must be safe! - This above anything.
We are white/hispanic, so our demographic preference for the neighborhood would be white.
Try Valdosta, GA.

Quote:
As of the college for my sister. She plans to follow medicine but isnt sure. Looking for public college most likely.

I think I've covered all the basics.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks
I'm not sure if this was a troll post? A pre-med student should have their affairs (and information on colleges) in order if they are to be successful.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.
@cqholt: The only reason I included racial preference was because there is a sticky post that suggests posting racial preferences. I'm sorry if I disrespected anybody. I don't mind diversity tbh, but hey, I thought that following the sticky info would lead to better responses. As of traffic: I do live in Miami, and traffic here can be a real pain sometimes, We can stand it but would rather avoid it.
Thanks for the info, will do research on the options you gave.

@Tarzanman: my situation is very odd =P
The reason I am not going to love in dorms is because my sister is tagging along which wasn't originally in my plans. The reason why my sister hasn't applied for college is because she used to live abroad and had planned to study abroad but due to personal reasons is moving in with me, which means she has to go wherever I go, which just happens to be Atlanta.
Living in the city is not a big deal, I dont know how bad traffic is there but over here you can spend up to 2 hours stuck in what would normally be a 15 minute drive and that is what I'm looking to avoid. I dont mind some traffic, but heavy traffic, I've had just about enough...
Thanks for the information you provided, I will do more research on the options you specified.
My situation is weird so I understand if you thought it was a troll post but it's not.
Once again, my sister did have a plan but due to unexpected circumstances she has to move back to the states and in with me.

Sorry if my posts are long and that I'm not using proper quotes, but I'm using an iPhone to access these forums.
Once again, I appreciate the information provided. =)

Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Does your sister have the resources to pay out of state tuition?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 AM

We do have the resources but from what I've gathered out of state tuitions are quite high in georgia.
We've been looking at community colleges, specifically at atlanta metropolitan college and georgia perimeter college.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
I suggest living near one of the MARTA rail stations. You will likely find a 2-bedroom apartment near a station for under $1500. Plus there is a student rate for a MARTA monthly pass and the trains run early in the morning to late at night. The MARTA train has stops near Tech at North Avenue and Midtown with a shuttle bus going to Midtown. The train goes right to Ga State with stations Georgia State, Five Points, and Peachtree Center serving the campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta