Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,779,234 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know; nobody listens to the radio anymore, allegedly, and Clear Channel and music consultants are all stupid and force everybody to listen to the same songs all across the United States. I don't exactly care about any of that in this topic. Even compared to other cities, it seems like many of Atlanta's radio stations are just...missing something.

The two CHR/Top 40 stations (Star 94, Q100) seem to be slower than normal when picking songs up and letting songs go. More specifically, Star 94 takes forever to pick new songs up, and Q100 takes forever to let songs go after they've fallen off the charts.

The Active Rock station (Project 9-6-1) can't diversify its music portfolio because all the mullets who used to listen to 96 Rock are creatures of habit who still haven't noticed that there's another Classic Rock station in town (Rock 100.5), so lots of good heavy metal, both new and classic, goes unspun in favor of more AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. (Actually, I should say more Back In Black and Appetite For Destruction.)

The Alternative station (99X) is now stuck on a repeater with a frequency that doesn't even begin with "99," and can't be heard outside of the core counties of metro Atlanta. Turns out they were the biggest casualty of the Great Atlanta Radio Format Shuffle of 2006-2008.

Project 9-6-1 is a good concept and a welcome addition to Atlanta radio, but since then, the only good thing that's happened to Atlanta radio is that 95.5 The Beat doesn't exist anymore, having been replaced by a News/Talk format. I understand that it's just an FM simulcast of WSB-AM, but that's OK, because a radio frequency that used to make you dumber when you listened to it now makes you smarter when you listen to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 PM

349 posts, read 782,073 times
Many years ago project 96.1 was really good. It was ran by a dude out of peachtree city I believe. He called himself roach. They all had weed references for names. The signal wasn't that strong so I'm not sure if folks on the northside knew about it. I could pick it up where I lived at the time. Any ways they used to play really good music but then as they became bigger they sold the station. Once this happened they became just like 99x which ALWAYS sucked. Then the whole merger with 96 rock happened and then they sucked even more.

In my opinion there is a large void for a good rock station in most major markets. Even here in the NYC market. Most good rock is underground. I've always thought about trying to start a radio station to fill that void but it's just a pipe dream.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 PM

663 posts, read 1,865,516 times
Rap, Soul, Rock, Country,Latino and Oldies/70s/80s music are all that should matter to the main demographic groups in Atlanta. I think they are all well represented in the choice of stations. It is certainly better now than even four years ago.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,535,886 times
Yes. I think it is kinda weak for a city this size. I have a gripe about the NPR station WABE. I bought an HD radio last year and I can pick up 3 channels off 90.1. 2 of them are practically all classical with channel 1 having the standard NPR fare(Morning Edition, All Things Considered...) and the other is 24 news. I wish that middle channel was more like WUTC out of Chattanooga. That is almost the perfect radio station in my opinion. Why do we really need another classical station when the main WABE channel fills that role?

99X was interesting when it first came out then alternative pretty much became mainstream and they fell into a formula of STP, Nirvana, and The Offspring(the band that single-handedly turned me off of alternative music). I miss Z-93. I was listening to the Greaseman in middle school. They would let the stoners take control of the station on some nights and they would play some pretty far out stuff. DaveFM is about the most bland and uninteresting station I have ever heard. It's like a radio station straight off of stuffwhitepeoplelike.com.

I was sort of sad to see the 96Rock name go, not so much the station. One of the earliest things I associated with Atlanta(growing up a ways out of town) was the 96 Rock commercials and the 96 Rock logo I saw on those license plates every mullet seemed to have on their Camaro. BTW, I HATE the Regular Guys.

I rarely listen to the radio outside of WRAS 88.5(where I was once a DJ) and NPR for news. I have no idea how this city can support two sports stations. Of course I've never really cared about anything outside actual games and scores. Most of the time it's for men what celebrity gossip is for women.

LW,I believe WFMU(91.1) and WFUV(90.7) are pretty decent. I think those are the ones I used to listen to a lot up there.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

349 posts, read 782,073 times
I'll check those out DTL. I know in Jersey you can pick up Pirate radio from Seton Hall. However it's mostly screaming heavy metal type stuff. I like hard music but have to really be in the mood to listen to the screaming stuff.

Fun fact: Leslie Fram from 99x is on the big rock station up here along with Matt Pinfield. It still sucks though sadly. I expected more from NYC.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM

799 posts, read 1,096,331 times
Really radio died when the corporations took over it. All radio is mediocre now, across the US

Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,956,628 times
Radio is not dead and stations are paying the price for eliminating local programing. Does Atlanta have any good local talent something that keeps listeners from using the internet and iheartradio to listen in on other markets.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:42 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,071,769 times
Actually I think Atlanta radio is quite good but I only listen to WRAS 88.5 (the best station I've ever come across) and WABE 90.1 (NPR). Now, New York City has horrible radio for a city its size. When I was up there last, I gave the radio a try and while they have more stations, just about every station was playing crap.

The only thing I wish Atlanta had was an all-news NPR station but I really like classical music so I don't mind too much.

Definitely check out WRAS 88.5. They are an independent, college-student station (for GSU) so don't expect the bells and whistles of other stations but they excel where it counts. I have discovered ao many awesome bands through that station. Plus, they are the largest college radio station in the country I believe.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 PM

89 posts, read 146,272 times
1690 AM is pretty great. In ways it’s like an underground station, I actually forget about it all the time even though I’m a big fan. They don’t play hits though, it’s a more eccentric lineup. You’re very likely to hear Dylan followed by Gershwin. Someone reads a chapter from a book in the middle of the day.

bb

Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Actually I think Atlanta radio is quite good but I only listen to WRAS 88.5 (the best station I've ever come across) and WABE 90.1 (NPR). Now, New York City has horrible radio for a city its size. When I was up there last, I gave the radio a try and while they have more stations, just about every station was playing crap.

The only thing I wish Atlanta had was an all-news NPR station but I really like classical music so I don't mind too much.

Definitely check out WRAS 88.5. They are an independent, college-student station (for GSU) so don't expect the bells and whistles of other stations but they excel where it counts. I have discovered ao many awesome bands through that station. Plus, they are the largest college radio station in the country I believe.
You are spot on! My wife DJed for 88.5 when she was at GSU and I love WABE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta