Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM

148 posts, read 265,424 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this thread and hope to get some good advice from anyone on here. We are looking at buying an investment property in Atlanta and would like to know what area's you can suggest that are considered good area's and that would be somewhat easy to find good tenants.

I have heard that buying a condo in the city is not an option, that there is a long wait list to rent out a condo because their is a building limit of what percentage can be rented by the condo board ? Is this correct ?.

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj-rk1 View Post
Hello, I am new to this thread and hope to get some good advice from anyone on here. We are looking at buying an investment property in Atlanta and would like to know what area's you can suggest that are considered good area's and that would be somewhat easy to find good tenants.

I have heard that buying a condo in the city is not an option, that there is a long wait list to rent out a condo because their is a building limit of what percentage can be rented by the condo board ? Is this correct ?.

Thanks in advance !
What's your price range?
Looking for historic, intown or suburban?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
It is correct that virtually ever good condo building in Atlanta has a rental cap of 25% of the units and the waiting lists are long.

I don't know if it's possible to grease the palms of the HOA and get down the list faster or if one of the many new techniques being employed by savvy investors is working in this market. I have read about people forming corporations to own the units and then giving renters a share of the corporation so they are technically owner occupied and things like that, but I don't know if they have been successful in Atlanta. Seems like solutions like this are for sophisticated investors who have access to lawyers.

A lot of small time investors tend to go for single family homes, low rent condos that don't have caps or active HOAs, or townhouses in the suburbs.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM

255 posts, read 464,248 times
I wouldn't buy a condo downtown as an investment on a bet. I think they were far overbuilt and the demand isn't nearly what it needs to be for investment.

That said, a lot depends on what sort of investment you're talking about? Appreciation? Income? What?

Surprisingly, one of the best investments seems to be buying houses over on the Southside where you can pick them up for next to nothing, then qualifying them for section 8 housing and renting them. Since the government is paying the rent, it's fairly reliable. But you really need to have a number of them to make it lucrative.

For appreciation, I think I'd be going far north, probably into Roswell. Not much right now, but they'll be the first to pick up after all the foreclosures are cleared out.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
If you like the sweat equity of fixing up a place and having it rent out for a higher price because of what you did to it, being a landlord could be a rewarding situation.

A lot of people, though, find it it be stressful and a lot of work.

If you're looking to just make money off real estate, you can research and invest in REITs that specialize in this type of activity. You won't have any control over what they do, but at least they are highly liquid and you can get in and out at your leisure. I know it's not the same thing as owning property, but it's much easier.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Are you local?
If not, what is your plan to manage?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM

148 posts, read 265,424 times
Thank you for the good advice.

We are looking for properties that will give us good equity down the road, areas that are hot for people wanting to rent ( I would assume close to the city ), a good family neighbourhood.

No set price range, we would rather spend a little more to be in a good neighbourhood that can be easily rented then have to struggle to find renters because it is in a neighbourhood that no one wants to be in.

We would have to find a property manager to rent it for us, any advice with thistopic ?. We are currently in Ontario, canada.

Thanks again for any more advice

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
SE city of Atlanta neighborhoods are hot and reasonably priced. East Atlanta, Kirkwood, East Lake, Edgewood, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, Old Fourth Ward, Ormewood Park.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Search "Atlanta Beltline" and do some research on neighborhoods that border it

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM

255 posts, read 464,248 times
Well yeah, the SE properties are hot for rentals, but he said he wanted a "good family neighborhood". Big difference.

Let me ask you...what's your price range on this and do you ever plan on living there or is it just for investment? If just for investment, why would someone from Onterio be looking for investment property in metro Atlanta?

Please forgive me for being nosy. It just doesn't seem to make much sense and I'm trying to understand your objective so that I can respond properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta