Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Myself and my husband with our 1 yr kid are considering moving to Atlanta in order to get a better cost of living, buy a house and have a little slow life. We currently stay in New Jersey and are tired of extreme winter, high cost of housing (finding nothing below 450-500K), property taxes and commute to NYC for work.

We want to move to Atlanta as my husband has possibility to get an internal transfer from NJ to Atlanta but want to understand long term perspective for both of us especially for IT jobs (BA/PM).

I will have to leave my current job (Business Analyst/PM) and look for it in Atlanta. Will really appreciate if people can give us some suggestions on how the IT job market has been in Atlanta and also is it a good time to buy house in Atlanta (i.e. are home prices down as compared to couple of years ago like many other states/cities and are they going up as the economy is booming).

We have done research for all other factors and are really happy with out decision but the most important point is Job and second Housing that we could not get much insight onto and would really appreciate everyone's inputs on them.

Thanks,
BombayGirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM

102 posts, read 219,460 times
The IT Market is fine in Atlanta. There are several major companies with large IT departments such as Home Depot, Macys, SunTrust Bank and UPS that are hiring at any given time. GM will be opening an IT facility here soon, not sure of dates, but there will be 1500 positons. PMs are in demand so I think you will be OK on that front. Housing prices are relatively low through out the metro due to so many foreclosures driving down prices. So now would be the best time to buy.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
The IT market in Atlanta is and has been on fire for as long as I can remember. If you have experience, you will absolutely have no problem finding a good paying job here. Home prices are inching up a bit, but still much better than places like Jersey.
$500K in the burbs here will get you a very nice home!

And we have not had any snow in over 2 years (although that's actually a negative for me).

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
The IT market is good. Most of the jobs are between midtown Atlanta upto alpharetta.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
IT is booming in Atlanta. You should do very well here.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 AM

280 posts, read 350,984 times
Its really good out here. We move from smaller town in south carolina. its a big city with a small city touch.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:17 PM

276 posts, read 430,952 times
I would really recommend having a job before moving here. In my experience, many of the large companies mentioned previously fill these rolls through contractors. In fact, I was a BA contractor at AT&T at one point working with other PMs and scrum masters, etc that were also contractors. Or rather, they were "consultants" working for companies such as North Highlands and onsite at AT&T as contractors. Although these companies do hire directly, my experience has been it is more so based on who you know and it can be challenging if you do not have a network here.

I lost my job in Atlanta about a year ago and it was very difficult finding a new role and I have a pretty extensive network in Atlanta as I went to Emory. It took me 6 months overall and I have a pretty decent resume.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM

37 posts, read 104,843 times
We just moved to Alpharetta a few weeks ago, and my husband was transferred from NY, similar to your husband. He is a Tech Director for a contractor and works at the GE site. From all I have heard Atlanta and this area (North Fulton co.) are very strong in IT. As pp mentioned, it would be a good idea to have something in the works already, but if your husband can transfer (and especially transfer his NJ/NY salary!) down, you will be one step ahead! Good luck, we love it here so far. I can't wait for it to start snowing in NY so we can rub it in with family back north, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: