Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Girlfriend and I are moving to Atlanta soon. Her job is in Kennesaw, mine is (specific location unknown, but definitely) closer to downtown. I've addressed the top issues from the sticky here:

1. Budget - $1200-1500/mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Commute, one Kennesaw one downtownish
4. Children(public school vs. private) - None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Not a major concern
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Younger/settled/safe

That said, after doing some rudimentary research and talking to friends, we're juggling the following ideas:

1. Clairmont/85 area. Closer to my job, farther from hers. Concerned about her commute and the safety of that area. (ie: [url=http://www.2924clairmont-apts.com]2924 Clairmont apartments in Atlanta[/url])

2. Vining area. Roughly half way between our jobs. Told it is a younger/up-and-coming area with decent dining and social spots nearby. (ie: [url=http://www.madisonapartmentgroup.com/atlanta/madison-vinings-ridge]Apartments In Atlanta | Vinings Ridge Apartments | Smyrna Apartments[/url])

3. Buckhead/midtown area. Closer to my job, farther from hers. I imagine the prices here will be at the top end of our range. (ie: [url=http://www.allureatbrookwood.com]Apartments at Atlanta - Allure in Brookwood[/url])

We're going up there in a few weeks to visit some complexes. Can anyone comment on these options and my concerns, or offer input on an option we'd not yet considered?

Thank you kindly,
CF

Last edited by abccf; 01-28-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Vining/smyrna

/end thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Vining/smyrna

/end thread
Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of commute would I be looking at heading towards/from downtown for work? I presume her commute would be lighter as she's going "the wrong way," right?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,998 times
from vinings to kennesaw its like 20-30 minutes...awesome commute. downtown it should be about the same if you're traveling in rush hour and depending on where downtown you work. the west part of atlanta is best for both of you. I work in kennesaw so im familiar with the route. I have coworkers that live in buckhead/midtown as well and its about a 30 minute commute. there's no traffic after the 75/85 split

Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abccf View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of commute would I be looking at heading towards/from downtown for work? I presume her commute would be lighter as she's going "the wrong way," right?
75 from Smyrna to downtown isnt that bad. Traffic will back up once you get into downtown but it isnt bad. I'm going to email you an apartment that I recommend

Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,998 times
Quote:
75 from Smyrna to downtown isnt that bad. Traffic will back up once you get into downtown but it isnt bad. I'm going to email you an apartment that I recommend
I'm also looking for places in the area. can you message me the name of the complex as well?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I'm also looking for places in the area. can you message me the name of the complex as well?
Sent

Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM

46 posts, read 90,306 times
I think you should look into West Midtown/Westside part of town. It is an awesome area and offers quick access to 75 which will get you downtown in 10 minutes and her to Kennesaw in 20. Overall a really neat area of town.

If interested, I would check out Post Collier apartment complex.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
Vining/smyrna

/end thread
Agree

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseypeach View Post
I think you should look into West Midtown/Westside part of town. It is an awesome area and offers quick access to 75 which will get you downtown in 10 minutes and her to Kennesaw in 20. Overall a really neat area of town.

If interested, I would check out Post Collier apartment complex.
I second this. I live in West Midtown and do the commute to Kennesaw every day, and it's WAY easy. It's also really close to downtown, and you get to take less busy roads with fewer stoplights than you would even from Midtown. Tons of apartments, good restaurant/bar scene (often walkable from those apartments).

Vinings would be a second choice. Your other options will have more traffic/distance to deal with than West Midtown or Vinings. You want to be able to get to I-75 above the connector without having to take 85/285.

If you do check out Westside, Collier is good, but also check out places along Huff Road and Howell Mill. There's also good stuff near the intersection of Marietta and Howell Mill.

P.S. I'd encourage you to talk to Promove, telling them all the specifics you told us. Ask for suggestions for some of the areas suggested in this thread as well. They've very good at apartment placement: http://www.promove.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta