Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,410,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'm thinking there's someone out there who will see the followup to this story and hire him, though. Should you have to have someone like this to patrol your establishment? No. Do you need someone like this in certain areas down there? Yes. They've already lost a couple of tenants in that "mall" due to crime - let's see if it empties out now.
No one is going to hire this dude for causing unnecessary confrontations so he could show off his power. People must just like the novelty of it but I don't know many, if any, businesses that want someone that's going to attack people that he supposedly banned from the mall. I also don't know any businesses that want a guy working security that, rather than calling the cops on some guys that "allegedly" robbed his house, opted to harass them for no reason. I guess you guys are yet to realize that this was nothing more than him trying to become known, he even mentioned attempting to get a tv show. It also won't help him that he has 4, well now 5, assault charges. Everyone loves the hero but he certainly isn't one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,024,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
No one is going to hire this dude for causing unnecessary confrontations so he could show off his power. People must just like the novelty of it but I don't know many, if any, businesses that want someone that's going to attack people that he supposedly banned from the mall. I also don't know any businesses that want a guy working security that, rather than calling the cops on some guys that "allegedly" robbed his house, opted to harass them for no reason. I guess you guys are yet to realize that this was nothing more than him trying to become known, he even mentioned attempting to get a tv show. It also won't help him that he has 4, well now 5, assault charges. Everyone loves the hero but he certainly isn't one.
Agreed. It's not as if his tactics worked either. If anything it just made a bad situation worse. I'm not saying nothing should be done because obviously the Metro Mall and the surrounding blocks is just a hot mess, but the way he was handling things was just headed for disaster. Worst of all for him is that he recorded and posted several of this incidents with no context or written evidence of the prior banning. Whether one likes it or not, every single one of those people could sue him for harassment and win.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 233,115 times
I really never understoodwhy ppl applauded this security guard. From the videos all I saw was him sub-abusing his power and starting unnecessary confrontations.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,153,362 times
While, at times D Long would go overboard a bit, does anyone not see that being kind to these thugs didnt work. He would ask people to leave and they would say they are not going anywhere and thats where the problems would start. He could drop all the foul language you always hear on tapes since that does add to the fire in these incidents when he is daring them to do something, but other than that he did a good job cutting down the crime in that mall...sometimes you have to stoop to a lower level to deal with these kinds of people.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,538,776 times
So is this good or bad??

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,538,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That guy gets major props. Most importantly for bringing to the conversation Atlanta's BIGGEST SHAME - a haven of crime and scum a matter of 1-4 BLOCKS from City Hall, the State Capitol, and Federal Courts / Offices.

What a wonderfully perfect example as to why Government just sucks. If they wanted to stop the crime, it would be as easy to catch criminals as taking a small game hunter to a petting zoo. WHAT AN FN EMBARRASSMENT. People hate going downtown in large part due to the large criminal element that is seemingly allowed to thrive in what should be one of Atlanta's most interesting districts.

PATHETIC JOB APD. Until this is fixed, the department as a whole is an embarrassment. The city government as well. Any past and future investment into Underground Atlanta has and will be a waste until this area is fixed. No more money should be spent on that complex until the surrounding area is cleaned up. Otherwise it is as fruitful as burning money in a fire.

I'm very proud of our city. But this has got to stop. Much love to this guy. He may be crazy, but I am glad is doing the job our government has flat out failed to do.

(sorry for the e-yelling, but this topic deserves it.)
I don't think the thug culture will ever die in Atlanta. The anti authority culture is alive & well. If this guy ever tased me for doing something wrong Id avoid him & anywhere he would be. Didn't this guy do radio interviews?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,410,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
While, at times D Long would go overboard a bit, does anyone not see that being kind to these thugs didnt work. He would ask people to leave and they would say they are not going anywhere and thats where the problems would start. He could drop all the foul language you always hear on tapes since that does add to the fire in these incidents when he is daring them to do something, but other than that he did a good job cutting down the crime in that mall...sometimes you have to stoop to a lower level to deal with these kinds of people.
The problem is, in most of those cases he had absolutely no legitimate reason to ask those people to leave to begin with. How can you just randomly say "oh those look like the guys that robbed my house they need to get out" and make them leave? If they robbed your house why wouldn't you call the police and get them locked up rather than recording yourself kicking them out? And has he really done anything on cutting down on the crime there? You've never been to that mall have you? It's the same way it was before he got there. Even the vendors were complaining about him running people off for no reason and that was why he got fired before he even got arrested. Once again, the guy has 5 assault charges, that's not a coincidence. He was high strung and power hungry...pulling a gun on unarmed people more than once to get them to leave the mall. Even the police can't operate like that so why exactly should he have been able to? And i'd bet those assault charges are the main reason why he's a security guard and not a cop.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,153,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
The problem is, in most of those cases he had absolutely no legitimate reason to ask those people to leave to begin with. How can you just randomly say "oh those look like the guys that robbed my house they need to get out" and make them leave? If they robbed your house why wouldn't you call the police and get them locked up rather than recording yourself kicking them out? And has he really done anything on cutting down on the crime there? You've never been to that mall have you? It's the same way it was before he got there. Even the vendors were complaining about him running people off for no reason and that was why he got fired before he even got arrested. Once again, the guy has 5 assault charges, that's not a coincidence. He was high strung and power hungry...pulling a gun on unarmed people more than once to get them to leave the mall. Even the police can't operate like that so why exactly should he have been able to? And i'd bet those assault charges are the main reason why he's a security guard and not a cop.
i do agree where your coming from, but at the same time, alot of the stuff we are commenting on is what we see on the tapes. Im sure there is much more than happened before he hit record in many of these incidents and at the same time, im sure there is alot he said to rev people up before he hit record as well.

I havent been in the mall, since there is nothing south of 5 pts that i need and cant find in Decatur, but if Atl police wanted that area clean they would have 4-5 cops constantly patrol that block on both sides and walk through the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: