Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM

141 posts, read 299,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_A View Post
Yeh, you're right. Atlanta Public Schools are much better

I'd actually be more comfortable sending my kids to many of the Atlanta schools bordering Smyrna than the ones in nearby Cobb. I'm looking at homes on the west side of Atlanta and considered Smyrna but ruled it out because of the schools. The APS ones are actually quite good in some of the areas south of Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Some interesting points and unfortunately a lot of bashing from both sides as seems to often be the case. Lets face it, just about major city in the country has large suburbs that outpace the city in terms of population. No doubt cities like Atlanta and Dallas have a reputation for being a bit cookie cutter but cities from Seattle on down also have a majority of the population in the suburbs. That doesn't mean the cities are not vibrant or desirable places to live. To say that the suburbs make a city I think is a stretch but if viewed strictly by population I get it.

I will stick with the intown crowd for now (even if I cringe occassionally at the comments some of my fellow ITPers make). For me even with a family its mainly about less driving, more interesting stuff to do (events, parks etc) and a variety of interesting independent restaurants and shops that draw me to the city. I've lived in the suburbs before and its not where I want to be. As time becomes more precious, the cost of cars and gas continues to go up, having what I want close by appeals to me. Everyone one I know in the suburbs speaks about right around the corner for things that are 20 minutes away. I will take location over the best house. But that is why we have choice and can choose the environment we want, both can be great depending on what you desire and need.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
N_A N_A started this thread

21 posts, read 58,920 times
Well, what I have read so far is pretty much about preference. Nothing real, and definitely not enough to justify the hate toward suburbia. It reminds me of the small town I grew up in. The people in town would look down their noses at the rural folks. Northerners do it to Southerners. Americans do it to all non-Americans. Of course, it happens the other way as well, but not nearly as much.

I had been considering moving intown, but so far I have not been able to justify the increase in cost and decrease in space, particularly with a small family and the chance that I will probably be looking to move farther and farther from the city as I approach the golden years.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Well, what I have read so far is pretty much about preference. Nothing real, and definitely not enough to justify the hate toward suburbia. It reminds me of the small town I grew up in. The people in town would look down their noses at the rural folks. Northerners do it to Southerners. Americans do it to all non-Americans. Of course, it happens the other way as well, but not nearly as much.

I had been considering moving intown, but so far I have not been able to justify the increase in cost and decrease in space, particularly with a small family and the chance that I will probably be looking to move farther and farther from the city as I approach the golden years.
Sounds like city life doesn't suit what you are looking for and that's ok. You have to live where it's best for you and your family. Maybe there is hatred for the burbs by many people. But it really depends. I don't care for Atlanta suburbs at all except Decatur. And even that is limited to downtown Decatur/Oakhust. I think Alpharetta and John's Creek are nice but I still couldn't live there.

It seems like your mind is made up and I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you live in town if that's not what you want. If you love the burbs that is your choice nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
To be fair, many (most?) of the "in town" Atlanta neighborhoods are suburban in nature, and would probably be considered suburbs in some other cities. What is really different about Brookhaven and Dunwoody? Not much, except the magical I-285 runs in between making Brookhaven "in town" and therefore cool. Decatur? Suburb. Lakeside High School area? Suburb. Buckhead? Largely suburb. You can count the actual urban neighborhoods of Atlanta on one hand.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
N_A N_A started this thread

21 posts, read 58,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Sounds like city life doesn't suit what you are looking for and that's ok. You have to live where it's best for you and your family. Maybe there is hatred for the burbs by many people. But it really depends. I don't care for Atlanta suburbs at all except Decatur. And even that is limited to downtown Decatur/Oakhust. I think Alpharetta and John's Creek are nice but I still couldn't live there.

It seems like your mind is made up and I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you live in town if that's not what you want. If you love the burbs that is your choice nothing wrong with that.

Well, I wasn't looking for someone to convince me one way or the other. And it's not about me loving the suburbs, I just enjoy where I live; usually I have enjoyed wherever I have lived, and out of the 8 addresses I have had in ATL, most have been OTP. I was really interested in why people feel negatively the way they do about the 'burbs, which I think is totally overboard.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I wasn't looking for someone to convince me one way or the other. And it's not about me loving the suburbs, I just enjoy where I live; usually I have enjoyed wherever I have lived, and out of the 8 addresses I have had in ATL, most have been OTP. I was really interested in why people feel negatively the way they do about the 'burbs, which I think is totally overboard.
I hate not having sidewalks. I hate not having transit and I hate my nearest reastaurnt being Applebee's. So I guess in that regard I hate the suburbs.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Cities are built for people. Suburbs are built for cars.

Cities put the person in mind first. Suburbs put the car in mind first. In the city, you see life. In suburbs, all you see is cars. In the city, especially depending on the neighborhood, there's a sense of community. In the suburbs, everyone has their own lot so for the most part, there isn't a sense of community, though there are exceptions.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
To be fair, many (most?) of the "in town" Atlanta neighborhoods are suburban in nature, and would probably be considered suburbs in some other cities. What is really different about Brookhaven and Dunwoody? Not much, except the magical I-285 runs in between making Brookhaven "in town" and therefore cool. Decatur? Suburb. Lakeside High School area? Suburb. Buckhead? Largely suburb. You can count the actual urban neighborhoods of Atlanta on one hand.
I have to agree with this. Atlanta does feel very suburban compared to where I came from. When I moved here it felt like I'd moved to a small town. Though Atlanta proper isn't as cosmopolitan or urban as I'd like, I'd rather live ITP so I can have some feeling of city living.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
True but I am not sure this is different than neighborhoods in the majority of cities. Sure, there are exceptions like NYC or Chicago but many cities have lots of neighborhoods just like Atlanta that are residential first. Is it so different then Seattle, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Dallas, St Paul etc in this regard.

I would argue that Decatur doesn't feel at all like a suburb (certainly not like an Atlanta suburb) but maybe we need to define that term first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta