Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

They are expecting at least 100,000 additional visitors to Downtown this weekend. Final Four, Braves Game, D2 and D3 national championships are all Downtown. Save yourself the time, stress, and headache; take MARTA. If on the Red or Gold Line exit at Peachtree Center Station for Centennial Olympic Park, one can also walk to the Dome for the games. If on the Blue Line exit at Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Center for the Final Four and Centennial Olympic Park.
Pay attention to the automated station announcements, they will say what attractions are at what stations. Also, pay attention to overhead signs at stations, especially Five Points Station.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/f...o-downt/nXCgR/
Can't believe the AJC actually had something nice to say about MARTA.

Last edited by cqholt; 04-05-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
this is bad advice. downtown is going to be absolutely SLAMMED this weekend. they're closing off multiple streets and parking is going to be very expensive and hard to find. park at one of the stations further out the line, such as doraville, kensington, north springs, or dunwoody, and ride the train down to peachtree center station for the concert, and to the dome station for the games.
This is bad advise for a person who lives in Atlanta, but not for a person who is driving 2-3 hours from Greenville for a day trip. It's just too much of a hassle for a person driving here to stop and park and then ride MARTA for a day. I live downtown, I ride MARTA, I support MARTA, but this is not worth it. This event would be flooded, but most of the people here are STAYING in hotels, therefore will not driving. Yes, traffic will SUCK, but he will only be parking once and driving home, unless I'm missing something, he should just park downtown and be done with it. MARTA will add probably 1-2 hours of time to a short day.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
This is bad advise for a person who lives in Atlanta, but not for a person who is driving 2-3 hours from Greenville for a day trip. It's just too much of a hassle for a person driving here to stop and park and then ride MARTA for a day. I live downtown, I ride MARTA, I support MARTA, but this is not worth it. This event would be flooded, but most of the people here are STAYING in hotels, therefore will not driving. Yes, traffic will SUCK, but he will only be parking once and driving home, unless I'm missing something, he should just park downtown and be done with it. MARTA will add probably 1-2 hours of time to a short day.
Traffic is gonna suck no matter what. Not everyone attending is staying downtown. Some are staying in Perimeter center, or OTP and will drive in. Traffic was backed up yesterday and Monday for just a Braves game, imagine when a baseball game and the Final Four festivities are going on. Also, MARTA is adding more trains for this weekend and there is no weekend single tracking.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Why is the media making a big deal about traffic? Multiple events that bring in 100k+ people into downtown happen often here

Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I have always felt this way -- More attention is given to traffic then the events, the headlines in the AJC always are about how bad traffic will be instead of how fun or great the events are. This week on a major news radio station they made reference to the busiest weekend, worst traffic since the Olympics -- I think not.

I have lived in Midtown since 2007 and we have had these events before (the Final four is huge, granted) but so is every labor day weekend with huge events (Dragon Con, Braves, College game at the dome every year etc).

What a great weekend of events for everyone, let people know some of the cheap and free events around the final four they may want to attend instead of just hammering negatively about traffic. Many people probably don't even know about some of the final four things going on, including free D2 and D3 championship games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Why is the media making a big deal about traffic? Multiple events that bring in 100k+ people into downtown happen often here

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM

221 posts, read 431,343 times
Quote:
Because they want people to use MARTA! I plan on using MARTA rather than sitting in traffic for hours and paying $30 to park.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Well, this time the events are coinciding with several streets being closed, and several other streets being chewed up and gridlocked by streetcar construction.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Downtown is going to be ridiculously crowded this weekend. You would be better served with a bicycle than a car trying to make your way around town this weekend.

Braves game, Final Four, *free* concert? If you are smart then you will park your car near a MARTA station and find your way into town using a train, bicycle, or your feet.
Yea will be jam packed..just got my Braves Cubies tickets!! ha ha!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Traffic is gonna suck no matter what. Not everyone attending is staying downtown. Some are staying in Perimeter center, or OTP and will drive in. Traffic was backed up yesterday and Monday for just a Braves game, imagine when a baseball game and the Final Four festivities are going on. Also, MARTA is adding more trains for this weekend and there is no weekend single tracking.
Ok, we agree traffic will suck. So let's move on from that. The guy asked where should he park. These are the variables I'm working with, maybe you have a different set. I have lived in Centennial Hill for 5 years, the worst traffic is always Falcons games, because all of the drivers are local.

1. He is driving from Greenville
2. He is only going to be here for 1 day.
3. He has more than likely never taken MARTA.
4. He will have arrive around 10:30 and depart around 10:30, when the last show ends.

Here is his day taken MARTA. These being optimistic with the schedule and assumes the user knows how the system works and is familiar with the stations and dealing with crowds. If he misses any connection ADD 30 Minutes

10:30am - Arrives at Doraville MARTA, assumes the lots are not full
11:00am - Arrives at Peachtree Center/Civic Center
11:15am - Arrives at the Park
10:00pm - Departs to Train Station
10:30pm - Departs Peachtree Station
10:20pm - Transfers to North Springs
10:40pm - Arrives Doraville
11:50pm - Heads home

Same Scenario Driving: This is also being liberal about traffic, because I know this exit intimately, since I use it daily.

10:30 arrives at 400 Connector
10:30 Traffic
11:00 Exits 249c William St (This will be manned by an traffic officer)
11:15 Parks, there are tons of lots available immediately off the exit for 20-30 dollars.
11:30 Enters Park
10:00 Leaves Park
10:15 Arrives at Car
10:45 Exits Highway
11:50 PM he is probably In Commerce GA by now.

A person spending an entire day in the park and driving 6 hours round trip, saving an HOUR is like giving a fat kid cake.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Ok, we agree traffic will suck. So let's move on from that. The guy asked where should he park. These are the variables I'm working with, maybe you have a different set. I have lived in Centennial Hill for 5 years, the worst traffic is always Falcons games, because all of the drivers are local.

1. He is driving from Greenville
2. He is only going to be here for 1 day.
3. He has more than likely never taken MARTA.
4. He will have arrive around 10:30 and depart around 10:30, when the last show ends.

Here is his day taken MARTA. These being optimistic with the schedule and assumes the user knows how the system works and is familiar with the stations and dealing with crowds. If he misses any connection ADD 30 Minutes

10:30am - Arrives at Doraville MARTA, assumes the lots are not full
11:00am - Arrives at Peachtree Center/Civic Center
11:15am - Arrives at the Park
10:00pm - Departs to Train Station
10:30pm - Departs Peachtree Station
10:20pm - Transfers to North Springs
10:40pm - Arrives Doraville
11:50pm - Heads home

Same Scenario Driving: This is also being liberal about traffic, because I know this exit intimately, since I use it daily.

10:30 arrives at 400 Connector
10:30 Traffic
11:00 Exits 249c William St (This will be manned by an traffic officer)
11:15 Parks, there are tons of lots available immediately off the exit for 20-30 dollars.
11:30 Enters Park
10:00 Leaves Park
10:15 Arrives at Car
10:45 Exits Highway
11:50 PM he is probably In Commerce GA by now.

A person spending an entire day in the park and driving 6 hours round trip, saving an HOUR is like giving a fat kid cake.
First you are including the stress of sitting in traffic and dealing with the Downtown Connector. Also, he could get lost and/or confused with all the street closures. Exit 249C backs up on the weekends even when there is no event downtown because of people getting off to go to the Aquarium/World of Coke.
MARTA is fast, reliable, and makes announcements as to which attractions are at what station. They are running extra trains all weekend long, with the last train departing Five Points in all directions at 1:30am everyday. There will be extra station attendants and MARTA police at major stations giving directions.
Hell all this guy has to do is a little research and he knows that he needs to buy a round trip on his BreezeCard, go southbound from Doraville, get off at Peachtree Center Station, for the return trip board a Gold Line northbound train and exit at Doraville. All the trains are electronic marquees on the front and sides with the destination. All the stations have big, overhead signs and wayfinding in the stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta