Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

Tough times at Grady Memorial Hospital

Quote:
Georgia has no plans to bail out Grady.

“We would love to be benevolent; we would love to give away all of this care,” Georgia’s Lt. Gov., Casey Cagle, said. “But somebody’s got to pay for it.”
Is he kidding? All that money in the state budget, and he can't keep the Atlanta region's ONLY Level I trauma center open? Seriously, what in the hell is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Well, I think alot of Grady's problems have to do not so much with the people who end up using the "Level 1 Trauma Facilities", but rather the people who walk in off the street and use the ER as a free doctor's office. I hate to say it, but what probaly will happen is one of the other hospitals in the metro area will step up it's services to handle Level 1 situations, and Grady will shut down and be replaced with a neighborhood free clinic. Is it the "right" solution? Probably not, but at the same time, we can't keep letting "the state" take care of everything- that's how welfare states get created.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Is he kidding? All that money in the state budget, and he can't keep the Atlanta region's ONLY Level I trauma center open? Seriously, what in the hell is going on?
The state is Republican and they don't really care if it closes. It only serves poor blacks and an occassional white cop or firefighter that gets hurt on the job. Not people the Republicans have much use for.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,607 times
The issue at the core is about politics and race. Therefore, we can't seem to agree on anything, even if a plan makes too much common sense (shift towards a non-profit governing board).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
If our state legislature can find the money to build a golf museum, it can find the money to keep a major hospital open.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,607 times
Money is already there. They just need to figure out how to transition to a non-profit operation and make financial data as transparent as what a non-profit org can disclose.

The funding will be there as long as the recommended changes are made with raised accountability.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Money is already there. They just need to figure out how to transition to a non-profit operation and make financial data as transparent as what a non-profit org can disclose.

The funding will be there as long as the recommended changes are made with raised accountability.
At some point the Board will need to do what's necessary to become a NPO, true. Yet considering how the state likely demands less accountability from, say, the Hard Labor Creek golf course, I can see how the Board has trouble ignoring such hypocrisy on the part of the government. As you suggest, we have a state government that occasionally makes decisions--in small part or otherwise--with an animosity toward some race and/or class.

I can see how the Grady Board would be a little defiant in that regard.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
I don't understand why money from our car registration/tax can't go towards the Trauma care across the state.

In MD, about $10-15 of our registration fee went to pay for our Level I trauma centers and our 8-12 statewide medevac helicopters to transport patients and help reimburses the centers for fees that aren't covered....

I don't see why the same can't happen in GA....

Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I don't understand why money from our car registration/tax can't go towards the Trauma care across the state.

In MD, about $10-15 of our registration fee went to pay for our Level I trauma centers and our 8-12 statewide medevac helicopters to transport patients and help reimburses the centers for fees that aren't covered....

I don't see why the same can't happen in GA....
Personally, I'd rather see registration taxes go toward transportation infrastructure and innovations.

Take some money from some other pork-related projects and have that money go toward keeping Grady open.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Not just Grady. From the AJC from a few weeks back, a lot of the Level 1 Trauma centers in GA are having issues. The one in Macon and the Savannah are all having financial issues due to the cutbacks on reimbursements and other things.

We need our Level I Trauma centers and for some reason, I don't think the whole change to a NPGB will make a difference, they will still be back in square one in 2-3 years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta