Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2006, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 23,089 times

Advertisements

I will like to know if it is possible to walk from Peachtree to Fiveforks Station in Downtown at 1:00am.It is safe to do so?I found a job in Downtown, but shift is until late night(1:00am).Trains don't run from Peachtree to FivePoints at that time,so I will have to walk from there to FivePoints.Any info will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 06:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,426,027 times
It is not safe to walk anywhere downtown at 1am.
Heck, you take a chance walking by yourself at 1pm.
I know it sounds blunt, but safety has no room for error.
Good Luck

Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,965,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl305 View Post
I will like to know if it is possible to walk from Peachtree to Fiveforks Station in Downtown at 1:00am.It is safe to do so?
-------
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)

Ok, SORRY, but a small touch of smart-ass leaked out of me there. Some REAL opinion follows, though:

No Carl, it's not safe to walk Peachtree Street around Five Points at 1AM. I don't think it's that safe to walk Peachtree Street these days at 1PM myself, but that's me.

I do photography on the side and a friend of mine and I not long ago tried an experiment; I walked from the Peachtree Center MARTA station to Underground at Five Points. Mind you there were two of us and it was daylight. We were approached multiple times for money by vagrants. I politely said "no" and moved on and most of them just moved on to the next person, but a couple of them did get pretty loud and scary about it - and this again, was in midday with cops and such visible and out and about. At 1AM? I don't think you'd have the luxury of other people and cops around to help you out. They're in that area much more during the daytime hours for protection of office employees and tourists - they don't expect workers and tourists to be out in numbers at 1AM in that area, so numbers of "helpers" are going to be greatly outnumbered by any potential bad guys looking for someone to take advantage of.

There are I'm sure people who have made this walk many times and never had anything happen to them and they'll no doubt speak up loud and proud about it if they see this thread, but I wouldn't walk around at 1AM in ANY large city downtown, much less here. No job is worth my personal safety. If you can't afford a car or taxi, I'd pass or say you'll take it with different hours.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
-------
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)

Ok, SORRY, but a small touch of smart-ass leaked out of me there. Some REAL opinion follows, though:

No Carl, it's not safe to walk Peachtree Street around Five Points at 1AM. I don't think it's that safe to walk Peachtree Street these days at 1PM myself, but that's me.

I do photography on the side and a friend of mine and I not long ago tried an experiment; I walked from the Peachtree Center MARTA station to Underground at Five Points. Mind you there were two of us and it was daylight. We were approached multiple times for money by vagrants. I politely said "no" and moved on and most of them just moved on to the next person, but a couple of them did get pretty loud and scary about it - and this again, was in midday with cops and such visible and out and about. At 1AM? I don't think you'd have the luxury of other people and cops around to help you out. They're in that area much more during the daytime hours for protection of office employees and tourists - they don't expect workers and tourists to be out in numbers at 1AM in that area, so numbers of "helpers" are going to be greatly outnumbered by any potential bad guys looking for someone to take advantage of.

There are I'm sure people who have made this walk many times and never had anything happen to them and they'll no doubt speak up loud and proud about it if they see this thread, but I wouldn't walk around at 1AM in ANY large city downtown, much less here. No job is worth my personal safety. If you can't afford a car or taxi, I'd pass or say you'll take it with different hours.
Yeah, nice isn't it.
Had a business meeting in April downtown at the Hilton on Courtland.
Thought I would take the crew (5 men / 2 women) to Mary Mac's on Ponce for some Southern cooking. The "boss" decided he wanted to walk back to the hotel instead of cabbing. I guess he thought he was on Michigan Ave in Chicago. I warned against it, but what do I know.
About 3 blocks into the trip we were surrounded by a group bumming money and making sexual threats toward the two women. They were signaling each other and finally a cop passed by. They moved on, and the Police said we should not be here walking. Granted they were right, we should not have been walking, but it is a shame that Atlanta makes efforts to keep law abiding folks "off" their streets, while the thugs have free reign to terrorize.

Goes to show that a group of 7 are not even safe. This was 7pm. I guess that God it was five men and not all women. And folks here wonder why I call this place Detroit. So much potential, so poorly ran.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM

108 posts, read 476,439 times
I went to Ga Tech, and did some pretty stupid things in the wee hours when I was young. However, I never had a problem! OK, Five Points is scary, and so is Little Five, but surprisingly, the whole city is not like that. Maybe I was just lucky...

Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,965,952 times
Actually when I was younger I went downtown a few times at night, but I was with other people, and we're talking 19-20 year ago, too.

I've known people who have gone downtown to this day and have no problems, but a coworker had a relative who worked in a bar downtown who got mugged 3 times in two months, so, it's all relative and bad luck and timing.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 23,089 times
Thank you all guys for you inputs.I have decided that I would rather drive my car,pay for the parking,and at the end of the night, drive my car back home safely. The train idea is already out of the table. Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: