Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 AM

399 posts, read 700,777 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/op..._20130729&_r=0

Interesting editorial about how blacks in Atlanta are at more of a disadvantage obtaining jobs than those in Detroit due to suburban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM

421 posts, read 749,715 times
I thought the article said poor people?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I generally like Krugman, but I don't think he has spent enough time researching the intricacies of Atlanta before diving into this editorial.

What he failed to mention is as a region we've done alot to zone our suburbs for a diverse strata of socioeconomic classes.

Yet... he is talking about the suburbs as if they only exist for those more well off to move out to. That isn't the case, especially with Atlanta.

In the past 20 years our average commute distance has decreased.

The old model, which is what he assumes in this editorial and the model we use to build out metro by, is that cities have different functions: ie. industry, office, retail, low-income housing, high income housing, etc.. , and we were best off by trying to separate these functions as much as possible.

We saw this and started fixing it a good while back, but the catch is (and my main complaint with the editorial), is it is a two-way street. We aren't just re-integrating multiple uses that moved away back into the city, we are integrating multiple uses into the suburbs themselves. Often placing importance on denser mixed-income options around suburban job centers.

I also believe the study is using to make his point suffers from another problem. There is high amount of uncontrolled coorelation between the high-growth sunbelt cities and the slow growth, denser cities and the types of jobs they have been able to add given the economic conditions in the era the grew in.

In other words, because we grew more in the 90s and 2000s, our jobs are more representative of that type of job/economic environment.

Country-wide in the 90s and 2000s upward mobility started to become a problem and that was the reality that we had to grow around, so I'm not completely sure about the study. Although, I would like to read up on it and see what their methodology was and what all they did control for.

I think our biggest problem, in this respect, is we built half our jobs during an era where upward social mobility we decreasing country-wide.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
I thought the article said poor people?
awkward.... lol

To be fair though at the end of the article he brought up Mr. Wilson's argument near the end.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Northern suburbs = jobs rich
Southern suburbs = jobs poor

I'd have to say this constitutes a major reason.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM

421 posts, read 749,715 times
i still don't see how Atlanta is more sprawled than Dallas or Houston. I don't care how the number looks, neither of them actually feel denser and are very spread out and car centric.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Northern suburbs = jobs rich
Southern suburbs = jobs poor

I'd have to say this constitutes a major reason.
Agree. All suburbs are not the same. This wasn't taken into account in all these studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
i still don't see how Atlanta is more sprawled than Dallas or Houston. I don't care how the number looks, neither of them actually feel denser and are very spread out and car centric.
Agree. No significant differences.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Dumb article.

POINT: Fayette County, home to the the most "upscale" suburban black neighborhoods, is right next door to Clayton County, home to the poorest. Explain that?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
So the problem is geography? What is he smoking?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Dumb article.

POINT: Fayette County, home to the the most "upscale" suburban black neighborhoods, is right next door to Clayton County, home to the poorest. Explain that?
That still doesn't discount the spatial mismatch when it comes to jobs and sprawl. And anomalies don't negate overall trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta