Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 18,072 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Atlanta area from Northern Virginia and I'm trying to find out some information on the Special Education Preschool Program. My son currently has an IEP and is in the program here in Virginia. He's is Developmentally Delayed. If anyone could give me any info, feedback, reviews, etc on the Atlanta Public School program I would be so grateful. I have left messages and don't seem to be getting anywhere. I don't want to sign a lease until I know that he'll be eligible for the program and that the special education preschool program is a good one. We will be in the 30306 zipcode and we would be zoned for the new Springdale Park Elementary when he starts Kindergarten. I can't even seem to find out where the Special Education Preschool classrooms would be that he would attend.

Thanks for any info!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
How old is your child? If he is going to need a self-contained type setting for elementary school, you will also need to check on where Atlanta locates those classrooms.

As much as I dislike DeKalb I think Coralwood is one of the best programs of its kind in the country. Coralwood is a terrific example of a school system doing special ed correctly.

Coralwood School and Diagnostic Center

I would call the school directly and see if they might have space next year and what it takes to get one of those spaces. There is plenty of rental housing in the area and it is still a decent commute to downtown.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM

My son is 4. He'll be in eligible for one more year of the Special Education Preschool program. Then we fully expect that he will be mainstreamed for Kindergarten, for which he would attend the Springdale Park Elementary school. I can't seem to find out where he would go for the Special Education Preschool program though. What elementary school the Special Education program is in for kids in 30306 zipcode seems to be hard to find out Very hard to get any one on the phone to answer questions.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 11,399 times
Default Atlanta PUblic Schools

hi, we recently moved to the 30306 zipcode and are trying to figure out the same thing you posted. Still waiting on an appt. with the public schools to get our 3 1/2 year olod son evaluated. we are currently looking into regular preschools because the public school system is taking forever and our son really needs to be interacting with typically developing kids. what did you find out? where is your son going to school.

Thanks!!

Chris

Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
sesalvador, I understand exactly what/why you need to know. Have you check the websites?
There's a phone# for pre-k.
Springdale Park Elementary School | Guide to APS (http://srt3.atlantapublicschools.us/210420722155529640/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=56516 - broken link)

You could also contact the Board of Ed
Springdale Park Elementary School | Board of Education (http://srt3.atlantapublicschools.us/210420722155233793/site/default.asp - broken link)

good luck!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 AM

Chris ~
My son is in the Special Education class at Springdale Park. Great classroom! He will be 5 this month. When we moved here he already had an IEP in place, so he was immediately put into the program. I have heard from other local parents that APS is very slow getting through the IEP process. It can be extremely frustrated. Are you getting an evaluation through the public school? If you want to go the private route, I can suggest a really exceptional doctor. That may move things along faster. I also have a friend who just had her son's IEP done through APS and she may be able to give you help. Her son is in my son's class. Also we are forming a playgroup for our kids, maybe you'd be interested.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks!
Shawn

Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,675 times
This may be of help [url=http://health.state.ga.us/programs/bcw/]Division of Public Health | Babies Can't Wait[/url] Georgia has its own program for Special Needs preschoolers called babies can't wait.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,399 times
Default springdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesalvador View Post
Chris ~
My son is in the Special Education class at Springdale Park. Great classroom! He will be 5 this month. When we moved here he already had an IEP in place, so he was immediately put into the program. I have heard from other local parents that APS is very slow getting through the IEP process. It can be extremely frustrated. Are you getting an evaluation through the public school? If you want to go the private route, I can suggest a really exceptional doctor. That may move things along faster. I also have a friend who just had her son's IEP done through APS and she may be able to give you help. Her son is in my son's class. Also we are forming a playgroup for our kids, maybe you'd be interested.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks!
Shawn
Hi Shawn,

we already had an iep in place also and there was a mistake. we had an appt. yesterday and we found out that we were scheduled incorrectly. we are interested in Springdale, but were told it is not an inclusive setting?? Let me know?? i am working on trying to figure out from APS what are our options of schools so that i can go and see the classes before deciding which one to send our son. As of now, we are waiting for a an IEP meeting to transfer ours to an APS one.

yes, we would be interested in a playgroup. Ethan will be 4 in Feb and is an only child and desperatly needs some of his peers to play with!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Chris
PS which dr. do you recommend?? i assume it is a dev. pediatrician??

Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,039 times
Default did u recieve help

The number to call for your issue is 404-802-1695

Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,078 times
Be careful with Springdale Park. Google the principal, this school has serious management issues amoung other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: