Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:27 PM

567 posts, read 890,046 times

Advertisements

So I was doing some exploration the other day and I happened to stumble upon some new development in the Pittsburgh Neighborhood in South Atlanta. I was shocked to see how developed its starting to get. So it got me wondering.. Other than the traditional popular neighborhoods (Vahi, Old 4th, Edgewood.. etc), where are some underrated places in the city that are up and coming? (Like a Castleberry Hill, Washington Park etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
development in pittsburgh?? where did you see this? i know they have an older school they converted to apartments several years ago, but they have a huge problem with break-ins.

i would say that neighbourhoods like adair park (which is across stewart ave from pittsburgh) will see new development way before "bottom-of-the-barrel" neighbourhoods like pittsburgh.

if you want my take, the last neighbourhoods you will see any real revitalization and new development in (not just around the edges) are english avenue (the bluff), pittsburgh, and lakewood heights. those are the only three neighbourhoods i can think of in atlanta that are actually dangerous.

up-and-coming neighbourhoods i can think of, in order of most development to least, are reynoldstown, east atlanta village, west end, edgewood, ormewood park, vine city, adair park, the mcdonough blvd corridor (chosewood park, benteen park, boulevard heights), and peoplestown. those are the neighbourhoods you want to keep an eye on.

out of the rougher neighbourhoods, i would reckon that the first one to see revitalization would be south atlanta.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:11 AM

402 posts, read 703,976 times
Downtown

Old 10-13-2013, 05:11 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
up-and-coming neighbourhoods i can think of, in order of most development to least, are reynoldstown, east atlanta village, west end, edgewood, ormewood park, vine city, adair park, the mcdonough blvd corridor (chosewood park, benteen park, boulevard heights), and peoplestown. those are the neighbourhoods you want to keep an eye on.
Reallly? If I were to put the neighborhoods you mentioned in order from most to least likely to turn around soon, it would be...

1. Ormewood Park (which I thought was pretty desirable. I'd put it way above O4W which isn't even on your list.)
2. EAV (which I also thought was desirable at lower price point.)
3. Edgewood/Reynoldstown (tie)
4. West End
5. Adair Park
6. McDonough Blvd corridor/Summerhill/Peoplestown (tie)
7. Vine City (which is basically the Bluff. Have you seen Snow on the Bluff?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Reallly? If I were to put the neighborhoods you mentioned in order from most to least likely to turn around soon, it would be...

1. Ormewood Park (which I thought was pretty desirable. I'd put it way above O4W which isn't even on your list.)
2. EAV (which I also thought was desirable at lower price point.)
3. Edgewood/Reynoldstown (tie)
4. West End
5. Adair Park
6. McDonough Blvd corridor/Summerhill/Peoplestown (tie)
7. Vine City (which is basically the Bluff. Have you seen Snow on the Bluff?
first of all, vine city isn't the bluff— that's up north of simpson street. vine city has seen a lot of redevelopment recently, especially around the westside village area— you should check it out. it will take a while for the rest of vine city to get to the level that westside village is at, but i bet mims park will push that forward quickly.

when it comes to desirability, you may be right about ormewood park, especially the north part— i ranked that too low.

i stand by ranking reynoldstown above edgewood— for some reason edgewood is having trouble getting off the ground, and i don't know what it is. the property crime rates are still relatively high and the home values aren't looking so good. reynoldstown on the other hand, has seen tons of new stuff come in, like the beltline, wonderroot, restaurants like home grown and that expensive place in the train station on memorial at the beltline, plus you've got apartments and condos being built through there.

i also stand by ranking west end higher— the beltline trail is set to begin construction next year, and you'll have tons of new stuff coming in, in addition to what's already been built there in the last 10 years.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
first of all, vine city isn't the bluff— that's up north of simpson street. vine city has seen a lot of redevelopment recently, especially around the westside village area— you should check it out. it will take a while for the rest of vine city to get to the level that westside village is at, but i bet mims park will push that forward quickly.

when it comes to desirability, you may be right about ormewood park, especially the north part— i ranked that too low.

i stand by ranking reynoldstown above edgewood— for some reason edgewood is having trouble getting off the ground, and i don't know what it is. the property crime rates are still relatively high and the home values aren't looking so good. reynoldstown on the other hand, has seen tons of new stuff come in, like the beltline, wonderroot, restaurants like home grown and that expensive place in the train station on memorial at the beltline, plus you've got apartments and condos being built through there.

i also stand by ranking west end higher— the beltline trail is set to begin construction next year, and you'll have tons of new stuff coming in, in addition to what's already been built there in the last 10 years.
Fair enough.

Perhaps I am referring to the people and culture of the neighborhoods as well as physical development. Many of the neighborhood gangs/cliques that live in Vine City affiliate/associate themselves with, and/or claim "The Bluff". I don't think neighborhood boundaries are as stringent when discussing the nickname of a certain area. I would almost guarantee that if you went to Washington High School and pulled out every student that said they were officially from "The Bluff", half would live in Vine City and the other half would live in English Ave. There are crews that claim "Dill Ave." and "Simpson Rd.", but they do not all live directly on Dill Ave. or Simpson Road. Nevertheless, let's just say you are technically right, does it really matter that much if it's practically the same element in both neighborhoods? But I'll take your advise and check it out myself.

The reason why I mentioned Snow on the Bluff is because Curtis Snow says himself, "I don't give a f--k where them n----s is from. They know where I'm from... The m-----f----n' Bluff, James P. Brawley, Vine City" just before robbing a group of rival drug dealers. Just saying.

As for Reynoldstown and Edgewood, after a quick search of 3+ bedroom, 2+ bathroom homes, Reynoldstown's most expensive was $380,200 and there were 8 above $300k. In Edgewood, the most expensive home is $599,900 and there are also 8 above $300k. And is crime that much higher in Edgewood than Reynoldstown?

Lastly, it may be true with condos maybe, but to me, new apartment complexes are not necessarily an indicator of positive economic and social growth and prosperity...

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM

444 posts, read 703,777 times
Default Post Pics Please!

If possible, could any one please post example pics? That would be great. Thank you!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 PM

16 posts, read 23,740 times
There are a lot of areas up and coming, inside the perimeter. They all seem to be improving. However, some areas like Pittsburgh are coming from a different level than EAV.

You could say, up and coming without gang violence or a failing elementary school and a couple of areas would be excluded even thought they're improving.

Having said that, I'll add Westview to the list. Great houses, beltline, easily blends in with West End (and shares schools) in some areas.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Fair enough.

Perhaps I am referring to the people and culture of the neighborhoods as well as physical development. Many of the neighborhood gangs/cliques that live in Vine City affiliate/associate themselves with, and/or claim "The Bluff". I don't think neighborhood boundaries are as stringent when discussing the nickname of a certain area. I would almost guarantee that if you went to Washington High School and pulled out every student that said they were officially from "The Bluff", half would live in Vine City and the other half would live in English Ave. There are crews that claim "Dill Ave." and "Simpson Rd.", but they do not all live directly on Dill Ave. or Simpson Road. Nevertheless, let's just say you are technically right, does it really matter that much if it's practically the same element in both neighborhoods? But I'll take your advise and check it out myself.

The reason why I mentioned Snow on the Bluff is because Curtis Snow says himself, "I don't give a f--k where them n----s is from. They know where I'm from... The m-----f----n' Bluff, James P. Brawley, Vine City" just before robbing a group of rival drug dealers. Just saying.

As for Reynoldstown and Edgewood, after a quick search of 3+ bedroom, 2+ bathroom homes, Reynoldstown's most expensive was $380,200 and there were 8 above $300k. In Edgewood, the most expensive home is $599,900 and there are also 8 above $300k. And is crime that much higher in Edgewood than Reynoldstown?

Lastly, it may be true with condos maybe, but to me, new apartment complexes are not necessarily an indicator of positive economic and social growth and prosperity...
curtis snow actually is from vine city, but he moved up to the bluff later.

the crew that claims simpson road is different from the one up in the bluff— the bluff is way up in english avenue, north of kennedy street— it doesn't even cover all of vine city. simpson road can get pretty rough, but the bluff is totally different— you've actively got people in the heroin trade shipping stuff from mexico up the atlantic seaboard to new york that use the area, it's a major hub. simpson road is mainly just really poor folks, you might see some crack sold there but that's about it.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
If possible, could any one please post example pics? That would be great. Thank you!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ep-top-41.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta